Conference expansion

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
GoGoPokes
Buckaroo

Fairly new to the site so maybe this has been beaten like a dead horse, but I have seen on this site every now and then the talk of conference expansion and where we might stand in anymore upheaval of major college football. The way I see it, I think it would be smarter of the power 5 conferences to contract into 4 and set up 4 conferences with 16 teams. The 64 teams are already there (with the awkwardness of BYU and Notre Dame being teams 65 and 66...) to basically have an eight team playoff without adding anymore games.

The two division winners play in the conference championship, game 13.

The conference champions play in the semifinals, game 14.

And the two top dogs play in game 15 as it stands now already.

I sure hope this doesn't happen, I am actually more shocked it hasn't already...
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

It doesn't get talked about too much on here, and even then only in the off season. The MWC board discusses it a lot more.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Conference expansion is the answer for the MWC. Or wait until someone else expands and breaks this conference up and then pick up some nobodies.

Imo the future is more than a conference champion game. It's a 4 or 8 team playoff out of the MWC

The football schools I want to see added are Houston and maybe 1 other Texas school like a SMU.

I want to see basketball only schools added. Gonzaga, Wichita state at the top of that list.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Until we get confirmation from networks that adding any more schools would actually up the payout, all adding more schools would do is split the pie into that many more pieces.
billings
Ranch Hand

Anything over 12 is a money loser and DOA for the MWC
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 131 times

Does anyone know if the playoff money is divided among G5 based on team number or just divided among the conferences with no regard for the number of teams? (obviously the conference that represents in the NY6 gets more money).

If it just gets divided no matter the number of teams, it might be better for a MWC-8 (should we be raided and restructure).
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 4 times

My cat's breath smells like catfood!
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Why is Hawaii a football only member?
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Probably because it's a little hard to pop out to Hawaii for one day tennis match, or soccer game, or baskeball game. And vice versa.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

SnowyRange wrote:
Probably because it's a little hard to pop out to Hawaii for one day tennis match, or soccer game, or baskeball game. And vice versa.
So what?

I think the university of Hawaii is a great school to have in your conference. They still have so much potential to be so much better too. If they ever have a boost in money that wanted to win they have ways to get better.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Coeur d' Alene wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:
So what?

I think the university of Hawaii is a great school to have in your conference. They still have so much potential to be so much better too. If they ever have a boost in money that wanted to win they have ways to get better.
They're also quite happy to have their olympic sports in the Big West, where most of the schools are right there in California.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Hawaii was part of the WAC I believe starting in 1980, and Wyoming traveled to Hawaii (and Hawaii to WYO) to play every year until we left for the MWC. It was a difficult trip both going to Hawaii and for Hawaii to travel to the mainland to play.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
billings
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Does anyone know if the playoff money is divided among G5 based on team number or just divided among the conferences with no regard for the number of teams? (obviously the conference that represents in the NY6 gets more money).

If it just gets divided no matter the number of teams, it might be better for a MWC-8 (should we be raided and restructure).
By conference but without a CCG you would never get a team into the big $$ bowls
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 47 times

CowboyNV wrote:Hawaii was part of the WAC I believe starting in 1980, and Wyoming traveled to Hawaii (and Hawaii to WYO) to play every year until we left for the MWC. It was a difficult trip both going to Hawaii and for Hawaii to travel to the mainland to play.
UH joined the WAC in 1979 for men only. The women's programs joined the WAC in 1996 (along with AFA women's programs and 6 other universities) after being a part of the Big West since the early '80s.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Coeur d' Alene wrote:Why is Hawaii a football only member?
Because the Big West does not sponsor football.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
Coeur d' Alene wrote:Why is Hawaii a football only member?
Because the Big West does not sponsor football.
More like because the mountain west wanted 12 teams for a championship game and didn't want them in all sports..
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

NDSU & Montana should be in the Mountain West. period.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

See people wouldn't mind it...however, with football at 12 members, you are just splitting the pie extra pieces. Both programs have a decent following but would they increase TV contract #'s? The next TV deal will be crucial.

Would Montana part with Montana St?
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

lakesbison wrote:NDSU & Montana should be in the Mountain West. period.
Get real. Adding teams should help the conference. Those 2 teams would be the only teams to benefit and the conference would be weakened.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 131 times

lakesbison wrote:NDSU & Montana should be in the Mountain West. period.
Wouldn't NDSU be a better fit geographically for the MAC?

Montana is a good program with fantastic support. I thought they've repeatedly decided it would not be beneficial to make the jump? Montana is not in great financial shape and the cost to leap would be expensive. Wyoming athletics would not survive without the State's support.

I don't know if the state of Montana would support the Grizz to the level necessary?

Either way, there isn't enough money in the MWC to support more teams and that includes byu.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.