What's Annoying About This Team

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Here's my take. Chime in, anyone:

1) Sloppy ball handling resulting in unforced turnovers - this is major.
2) Lack of being able to prevent opponent getting to the paint. And stopping them if they do.
3) Barnes instead of Naughton. Wake up Larry.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Naughton instead of Barns?
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

LanderPoke wrote:Naughton instead of Barns?
I think that is what he meant. Barnes is a liability at this point, and he just doesn't seem to be getting better. Might be time for Coach to try Naughton as either a starter or first option off the bench and let Barnes watch the game for a while to get a feel for things.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Yes. It is annoying that Larry is playing Barnes instead of Naughton.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:Yes. It is annoying that Larry is playing Barnes instead of Naughton.
Oh. geez I'm a dummy. That makes perfect sense. Shyatt isn't managing minutes/lineups like I would, that's for sure.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Barnes is entirely too timid. For someone his size he should be able to box people out and make solid, aggressive move to the hoop.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Barnes only played 7 minutes tonight. Of the 10 guys that saw time, only Naughton saw less (6 minutes) than Barnes. Yes, he started, but seems like Larry might be figuring that out.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

WestWYOPoke wrote:Barnes only played 7 minutes tonight. Of the 10 guys that saw time, only Naughton saw less (6 minutes) than Barnes. Yes, he started, but seems like Larry might be figuring that out.
Holmgren stated Barnes was a -15 in those 7 minutes. And if you watched the game you would know that those second half minutes he played were absolutely terrible and were the reason they lost. Larry needed a quicker hook and it didn't happen.
davidwyo
Ranch Hand

So the forum has successfully pointed out some of the weaknesses, but I can assure you the stubborn Larry Shyatt won't make any changes. The assistants need to speak up and quit playing favorites based on tenure or which assistant recruited which player and do whats in the best interest of winning a GAME. Yes, lets start by putting the best five guys on the floor against Air Force and substitute in the next best guys based on STATS. MoneyBall, watch it -------- Analytics, get rid of your emotions and huge ego's WYO coaches.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

NebraskaCowboy wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:Barnes only played 7 minutes tonight. Of the 10 guys that saw time, only Naughton saw less (6 minutes) than Barnes. Yes, he started, but seems like Larry might be figuring that out.
Holmgren stated Barnes was a -15 in those 7 minutes. And if you watched the game you would know that those second half minutes he played were absolutely terrible and were the reason they lost. Larry needed a quicker hook and it didn't happen.
I am really high on JB in terms of long term potential but you can definitely make the case that his early minutes and blunders (as well as Daltons) really hurt our overall chances of winning last night. They made their run the first 6 minutes of the second half and we had far too many turnovers and empty possession. I mean for the love of god, Dalton had 3 point blank layup/dunk opportunities with offensive rebounds and whiffed on them all....WHAT?!?!?!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
NebraskaCowboy wrote:
I am really high on JB in terms of long term potential but you can definitely make the case that his early minutes and blunders (as well as Daltons) really hurt our overall chances of winning last night. They made their run the first 6 minutes of the second half and we had far too many turnovers and empty possession. I mean for the love of god, Dalton had 3 point blank layup/dunk opportunities with offensive rebounds and whiffed on them all....WHAT?!?!?!
It seems to me that there is one thing this team needs to do that they aren't, and that is to keep their cool under pressure. Dalton was as frustrated after missing on all those opportunities as everyone else was. Everybody is trying to do too much. They need to just play within themselves.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

sometimes act like they've never stepped foot on a basketball court (Jon Barnes) Trey disappears, i don't know i guess i expect too much most of the time
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

besides Barnes, Herndon is not a D1 player.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl