2016 Wyoming Football Articles/Videos/Tweets

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Three Keys to the Game (WyoSports.net)

1. ADJUSTING ON THE FLY

The teams met just two weeks ago, so they have a good idea of what each other is about. However, both squads will tweak or change a few things, and the team that adjusts the best and fastest will have a significant edge.

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... 07227.html
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Aztecs looking to get back to defensive dominance (WyoSports.net)

“I’m concerned because we didn’t play worth a darn last week,” San Diego State coach Rocky Long said of his team’s 63-31 loss to Colorado State. “We played probably against the hottest offensive team in our league, and Wyoming is the highest-scoring team in our league already (38.2 ppg).

“Maybe we played two better offenses.”

“Maybe it’s our style of play and Colorado State’s style of play, but no matter what, San Diego State still is a defense that you have to execute well against,” Vigen said. “We executed fairly well, and Colorado State did as well.”

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... 778d8.html

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

UW’s Maulhardt has championship, bragging rights on the line today (WyoSports.net)

Maulhardt is from Camarillo, California, and grew up close to USC and UCLA in the Los Angeles area. He also was familiar with San Diego State, about an hour-and-a-half drive from his house. Maulhardt and his family became more acquainted with San Diego State when it recruited him out of Camarillo High School.

“The San Diego State game is like my rivalry game,” Maulhardt said.

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... 6a60d.html

joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN wrote:It was no secret Tiller and new Wyoming Athletics Director Lee Moon hadn’t seen eye-to-eye on how to run the football program. A portion of the Cowboys fan base was also sour on Tiller, a fact standout receiver Marcus Harris spoke to in the week leading up to the WAC title game.

“The man’s done all he could for Wyoming,” Harris said in a teleconference. “He got no respect around here. … He gets booed constantly everywhere he goes and he doesn’t deserve that.

“If (Moon) had offered me the same amount of money he gave (Dimel), I would have stayed at Wyoming,” Tiller said Tuesday from his Buffalo home.
I wasn't around back then, so what was the reason for this (especially the part of the fan base)?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:It was no secret Tiller and new Wyoming Athletics Director Lee Moon hadn’t seen eye-to-eye on how to run the football program. A portion of the Cowboys fan base was also sour on Tiller, a fact standout receiver Marcus Harris spoke to in the week leading up to the WAC title game.

“The man’s done all he could for Wyoming,” Harris said in a teleconference. “He got no respect around here. … He gets booed constantly everywhere he goes and he doesn’t deserve that.

“If (Moon) had offered me the same amount of money he gave (Dimel), I would have stayed at Wyoming,” Tiller said Tuesday from his Buffalo home.
I wasn't around back then, so what was the reason for this?
We went from being a team that made multiple bowl games under Roach(Wyoming legend) and almost always won 8-10 games to a team that was .500 or right around there under Tiller frequently, without the bowl games. It would have been hard to sustain Roach level of success for any coach, but it still made Tiller look average.

In addition, the fan base was divided on who should take over for Roach: Tiller or Roach's D.C.: Del Wight. The Del Wight crowd didn't like Tiller from the beginning.

The stage was set when he made the bonehead decision to give up a safety. People were ready to let him walk after that dumb ass call, and then we did: Lee Moon(one of Wyoming's worse AD's in history) did just that.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Desmond and Corso picked Wyoming because of the cold, while Herbstreit and the guest picker took SDSU because they have "the best player on the field" (Pumphrey.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Cowboy Junky wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

I wasn't around back then, so what was the reason for this?
We went from being a team that made multiple bowl games under Roach(Wyoming legend) and almost always won 8-10 games to a team that was .500 or right around there under Tiller frequently, without the bowl games. It would have been hard to sustain Roach level of success for any coach, but it still made Tiller look average.

In addition, the fan base was divided on who should take over for Roach: Tiller or Roach's D.C.: Del Wight. The Del Wight crowd didn't like Tiller from the beginning.

The stage was set when he made the bonehead decision to give up a safety. People were ready to let him walk after that dumb ass call, and then we did: Lee Moon(one of Wyoming's worse AD's in history) did just that.
Here was Tillers reasoning; a case can be made it made sense had things worked out as he expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

joshvanklomp wrote:Desmond and Corso picked Wyoming because of the cold, while Herbstreit and the guest picker took SDSU because they have "the best player on the field" (Pumphrey.
Even SDSU fans see Penny, their other RB, as their best runningback. We held Pumphery to 100 yards below his average, and the sheep did better than that.

Some people (Herbstreit) don't watch games.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

Junky, Tiller was already Purdues coach when he made the safety call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Long-time rivals Wyoming, BYU to meet in Poinsettia Bowl (WyoSports.net)

“It’s been way too long. We can’t wait to roll out the red carpet for the Cowboys football team and all their fans,” Mark Neville, executive director of the Poinsettia Bowl said.

“It will take a little bit of time for guys to get a bounce back in their step after that loss,” third-year coach Craig Bohl said Sunday night while he was on the road recruiting. “But we’ve had an excellent season, and now get to and cap it off at a great bowl venue against an excellent program. We’re excited about that.”

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... 6a75a.html

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Behind Enemy Lines:

BYU, Wyoming to renew old rivalry in Poinsettia Bowl (Deseret News)

“We’re fired up to get the Wyoming Cowboys to go up against BYU,” said Mark Neville, executive director of the San Diego Bowl Game Association. “They haven’t played in a San Diego bowl game in almost 30 years. We still remember those days when they were here and having some of the most enthusiastic fans in the country. We look forward to welcoming them to San Diego and rolling out the red carpet. I think we’re going to have a pretty darn good football game. This is an old rivalry from the old Mountain West and WAC days, and we look forward to kick-starting that rivalry once again.”

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... -Bowl.html

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Wyoming football to renew rivalry with BYU in bowl game (trib.com)

“The young men in this football program don’t understand the history and tradition and rivalry of the Wyoming-BYU series, but they will by (Dec.) 21,” Burman said. “I’m very confident that they will come out and play to the very best of their ability on that that day. It’s a big day for the people of Wyoming.”

Said senior linebacker Lucas Wacha: “(I know) that Wyoming and BYU were huge rivals back in the day, but we haven’t really experienced the rivalry against that team. But it’s going to be good and playing a team that this state has had a good past with and a rivalry with it’s going to be.”

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... user-share

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Last edited by POKE FAN on Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

San Diego Bowl Association President Ted Tollner on BYUSN (BYUtv Sports)

Ted Tollner of the San Diego Bowl Game Association joined #BYUSN to discuss BYU vs Wyoming Poinsettia Bowl Matchup

It's Matich Monday with Trevor Matich! (BYUtv Sports)

ESPN's @TMatich explains why he his excited for BYU vs Wyoming in the Poinsettia Bowl on #BYUSN.

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Wyoming men's basketball team enjoying Austin Conway's success on football field (trib.com)

But his favorite of the three touchdowns was his 60-yard punt return touchdown at UNLV, which briefly gave Wyoming the lead.

“It was just exciting in the moment of the game,” he said. “When it happened and electrifying the away crowd like that, I think that was probably the most exciting and I would say my favorite.”

“Every time he’s in a punt return, I’m hoping for a return,” Wyoming men’s basketball coach Allen Edwards said. “Not a touchdown all the time, but something nice.”

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 6e08c.html