BB Season

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
nwiowa
Buckaroo

Any thoughts on the upcoming season for the 'Boys and 'Girls?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

Ladies should be good!
ImageImageImageImage
dmbase
Buckaroo

The men's OOC schedule is waaaay weak this year. We might get to 20 wins, but come tourney time our SOS won't look very good compared to some schools. And the past few years they've been putting quite an emphasis on OOC games and SOS/RPI so this may cause more harm than good. We'll probably have to win the MWC tourney anyway to get into the NCAA's so it's probably a moot point. But as long as we can beat the $hit out of BYewww, I don't care if we even get an NIT bid. Lol.
nwiowa
Buckaroo

What is the recruiting outlook for both sides?
wyopokesfan23
Ranch Hand

I'm very excited for the Cowboys. I think they have a great team just a little questionable at C but we could be a serious contender for the MWC title
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I'm really excited for this season as well. The Cowgirls are going to be scary good and will be in the hunt for the conf. champs. As for the men, every time I start thinking about this season, I can see nothing but positives. We may not win the conf. championship, but it will take the other teams playing their best game of the season to beat us. I have been trying to renew my season tickets online, but their web site for doing that is down. I called the ticket office this morning, and they said it will be down for this week.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
UW2007
WyoNation Moderator

Rat face McClain is out so we've gotta get better! One of my good buddies works for the team and he let me in on some info that I found really interesting...

Under Steve McClain the team did not workout during the season, practices were long scrimmages and the team chemistry was so bad that there were basically two teams...the one that listened to McClain and the ones who didn't.

It HAS to get better! It can't get any worse!
wyopokesfan23
Ranch Hand

McClain was a horrible coach. It was like watching streetball.
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

My best and worst for they Cowboys this year is : We could take a while to learn a new offensive scheme and go 13-16, or we pull it out and hit some upsets and go 20-9.
The Cowgirls, They'll be going to the NCAA Tourney this year.
I think this year is the year of the Cowboys and Girls. I think we have the potential to take the conf. championship in Football, and basketball in mens and womens.
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

Lindy's Basketball mag has Wyo, second in the conference.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Athlon, just out, has the Pokes fifth in the MWC. It lists Brandon and Brad as first team picks. But it does not rank the women in the top 25.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

Of course not.. they're little ol' Wyoming who did nothing last year....
ImageImageImageImage
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

I went to the Cowboy exhibition game yesterday, and I can't tell you how excited I am for this season with the quality coach we have in Heath Schroyer. It may take a few games to meld this team into a conference contender, but we are on the right track. The difference is like night and day. This 4 out 1 in offense makes tremendous sense. The players are still getting used to each other and are making too many turn-overs (mostly passes that are unexpected or too hard) and fouls, but this is just the first game where they weren't playing against each other. Everyone played in this game except Eric Platt who sat out due to shin splints. There is young talent everywhere on this team, good size, and also experienced players that can step in right now and contribute at a very high level. Hang on folks, this one is going to be good.
wyopokesfan23
Ranch Hand

the two freshman from europe shot %100
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

Im just grasping for something right now in sports!! The Cowboys started off nicely, and the Rockies made it to the World Series. Then they got swept, and at the same time the Broncos and Cowboys seasons fell apart at the hinges. I left town this weekend and recorded the Cowboys and Broncos games. My friend caught the Broncos score and warned me before I watched that, but I watched the Cowboys game at two am. Pathetic. So I really need this basketball team to come through. So, whats a success for this team this year? They have a fairly weak non conference schedule, so I think it would be disappointing if they werent around 18-20 wins come March. I also think with the returning talent mixed with claimed better coaching, this team should be in the top half of the MWC. I'll be satisfied with 19-20 wins, and 4th place or higher in the MWC.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

I'll be pretty disappointed if we finish with a losing season and I'm expecting a 19 to 20 win season. We can hope that this team really gels and goes higher than that. I don't know that analyst's name that was on The Mtn channel during Media Day (the one that sat in the middle), but he said he thought the Pokes would finish lower than the 6th place that they were picked for. I would like to see him eat a little crow. I think this is going to be a fun team to watch develop. There is alot of depth on this team, and they all look to be good shooters. An article in the Sunday Casper Star Tribune quoted one of the players that said they shoot over 2000 shots a day from the areas they would normally take shots. Like WyoCow85 said, we need something to feel good about right now.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

One of the players on the Cowboys team that is not being talked about very much is Joseph Taylor. I believe he may be one of the best - if not the best - athlete in the MWC. His ability to block shots is right up there with Theo Ratliff. He is also a very talented basketball player if he can play within himself and stay calm and collected under adversity like bad officiating calls, etc. He also must be willing to completely buy into the new system Heath Schroyer runs. If he does this, he will position himself nicely for the NBA after this season. This young man has been through some adversity, and I really wish him good luck.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

With a weak schedule and new philosophy I see this season being a good one. The MWC doesn't look as superior as last year. UNLV is the team to beat, and BYWho will be good but beyond that we can compete. I just hope we can pack the arena like we did for the NIT game.....
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 46 times

J-Rod wrote:I just hope we can pack the arena like we did for the NIT game.....
The men didn't play in the NIT last year and the women hosted ALL 6 WNIT games enroute to a WNIT NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Not surprised the ladies weren't ranked. Winning the WNIT doesn't really mean much on the national level.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Did anyone see tonights game with Colorado-Pueblo? I just looked at Gametracker and saw that it was a close game with a horrible number of Poke turnovers. So I'm wondering - is the stated style of the new coach - pass it around a lot - having something to do with the turnovers? Or was it individuals getting the ball stripped? This does not look good against a lower division school.