Fire Craig Bohl...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 132 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:22 pm
LawPoke wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:36 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:19 am
bladerunnr wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:29 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:56 am Honestly, I'd let him ride his contract out. If a few more MWC teams leave, the conference might weaken enough for us to have a shot.

In the meantime, make Linder and staff the highest paid group in the MWC. Pour resources into that group.
No way. As a lame duck coach, no recruit will come to a program where the coach is going to be kicked out the door. Negotiate a buyout and get the new guy in here. I'm assuming the adm. actually cares about football. But if they don't, then yeah, let him finish his contract. But the last 2 years are going to be disastrous. The stands will be empty and players will be bolting like rats from a sinking ship.
The one inconvenient truth here is that no matter who we hire, WYO is not competitive in football. Since the formation of the original BCS, we haven't been competitive. Don't waste the buyout resources on failed football seasons. Play the contract out and see what happens during this round of realignment. Hell, we might fcs by the end of it.
I think that this is the 2x4 that we keep getting hit with...but haven't been willing to acknowledge. No matter how you slice it, we are more similar to Montana State and North Dakota State than we are to Alabama, Iowa State or even CU. We can lament this cold, hard truth. We can grieve it. But it is true. At some point, the chips are so stacked against our Pokes and our conference mates that we will break. The BIG's $7Billion TV deal will be small in the not-so-distant future as the SEC goes back for more. And we will languish with table scraps from crappy streaming deals and backfilling ESPN's Thursday and Friday slates.

Craig Bohl is a fossil. He is stubborn. He is an A$$. We might do better with someone else, likely not though. Our record doesn't lie. We've had a charismatic coach, he failed. We've had a spread, up-tempo coach, he failed. We've had a tough guy coach, he's failed. Maybe, just maybe, we simply cannot compete with the talent and resources we have...and that problem will only accelerate at a light speed sort of clip with NIL and unrestricted transfers. NIL is about to get really bad for the have nots with the advent of REVENUE SHARING of TV deal dollars with players. The BIG will have hundreds of millions to seed NIL warchests to actively SHARE with recruits. Next up...doing away with schollie limits. After that...expanded playoffs with NO access for the have nots. Finally, they will break away and we will be with...Montana State, NDSU, and all of our current conference mates...playing for an FCS crown in football. Basketball will then be in their crosshairs, but squad size and the power of March Madness will keep the wild eyed greedy crapweasels from ruining it, at least for a little while.
It’s funny, years back when I was questioning our place in the football landscape in regards to the state spending big money on the stadium and HAPC, I was a friggin pariah. To be clear, I’m still not stoked we did that while we were pinching pennies on education. Now more and more fans are questioning our place in the landscape, and a few more seem to think we should move down. The State is getting sued for not meeting their constitutional mandate in regards to education spending, which may or may not be true, I don’t know. But they’re talking “serious amounts of money”, whatever that means. I’m not really clamoring to move to down, I’m actually just pissed we spent all that money, with all these promises of conference championships that haven’t been realized. I didn’t buy the promises then, and it’s become pretty apparent I was right. And don’t give me the whole no one saw NIL coming bit, this was happening regardless of that, it only made it worse. The widening of the gap was entirely predictable. We got caught up in the arms race to what extent we could be, but we should have all known it was never gonna be enough to keep up.

I think we could actually stay somewhat relevant where we are with the right coaching. If not, it really is time to get out of the arms race and play against whoever our peers shake out to be.
Aren’t a lot of the facility improvements by private donations? If so, it isn't taking from the state education budget. Additionally, athletics generates revenue so to me this is a red herring.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 41 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote:Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:35 pm
Aren’t a lot of the facility improvements by private donations? If so, it isn't taking from the state education budget. Additionally, athletics generates revenue so to me this is a red herring.
I believe the HAPC cost $44 million of which $24 million was covered by private donations and the other $20 million by a special appropriation from the legislature.

It seems that someone is always wanting to throw more money at education. However the primary driver of education success is the parents, someone who ensures the student gets enough rest, adequate nutrition, does their homework, and respects the teachers.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

What’s Jim McElwain making at Western Michigan?
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 41 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:34 pm What’s Jim McElwain making at Western Michigan?
Near as I can tell he’s at Central Michigan and making $600-700 thousand per year. Why? You want a former CSU coach?
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

ZapPoke wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:14 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:34 pm What’s Jim McElwain making at Western Michigan?
Near as I can tell he’s at Central Michigan and making $600-700 thousand per year. Why? You want a former CSU coach?
If he can bring the boot to Laramie, and get us a conference championship or two, I’m in.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:44 am
If he can bring the boot to Laramie, and get us a conference championship or two, I’m in.
Still a possibility, but a long road to hoe, as for a CSU coach hell no it was hard enough to keep Marty English when he flip flopped between us and the Sheeep...maybe our Pokes found something in practice since that debocle in Illinois...Get Er Done
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 610 times
Been liked: 242 times

I would take mcelwain