Fire Craig Bohl...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 130 times

cowboyz wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:50 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:10 am
307bball wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:30 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:57 am
307bball wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:19 pm At this point, we are a program that loses talent. Bohl didn't create the situation that causes all of the transfer stuff but he is never going to be a beneficiary of it. The game has changed out from under him, simple as that.

As Wicks points out...there is a problem at the admin level that whoever replaces Bohl will most likely be unable to overcome as well. The slow motion disaster of college football for Wyoming and teams like Wyoming bums me out. There is probably some program out there on the outside of the P5 that finds a model to succeed...anybody want to bet me a month's paycheck that it's going to be Wyoming?
Outside of the Josh Allen years, Bohl has not been good. CFB didn't leave him behind, just put him further behind.

If they didn't stumble on Allen, I doubt he'd still be here.
You are probably right...but he did stumble upon him and now we are on the tail end of the modern college football coaching cycle at Wyoming.

The issue is not whether Bohl deserves credit for the success while JA was under center (he does btw), the issue is whether the HC position is the underlying problem. It's possible that Bohl is no good and it doesn't matter. I'm with Wicks that there are bigger problems in Laramie than the HC. They may even be problems with the structure of college football in which case we are chasing something that is never going to happen.
Credit for JA doesn't matter. Craig Bohl teams with JA were solid. Craig Bohl teams without JA are pretty bad. It really is that simple and data suggests Bohl isn't a great coach unless he has a JA. That's the important part. Who gives a rat's A$$ about credit for JA?

Of course there are systemic problems but Bohl is not handicapped with resources, pay, or facilities relative to the MWC median. There is no excuse to field this type of O year after year. The systemic issues might account for the inability to win conference championships but can't be used as an excuse to field a totally incompetent offense year after year.
So true, Bohl has only done well here when the player carries him. Similar to Dave Christensen, when he arrived they were selling him as an offensive guru. yet, if you remove the Chase Daniels seasons from his resume, his offenses are below average.
I'm not sure why this is so hard for people to grasp. Bohl's performance when he had 2 years with Josh was solid. Bohl's performance 7 years (presumably) is mostly mediocre to poor. Thus, it seems Bohl needs a Josh to be competitive in the MWC. Other teams who don't currently have and never had a Josh but still compete don't have this limitation. You might even be able to say Josh made Bohl at WYO and not the other way around.

If you can't see the difference in Bohl's programs with and without a Josh, I just don't know what to say. If you think another Josh is in the roster or likely will be on the roster, I just don't know what to say.

It isn't hard. Look at it like evaluating someone's life choices in a 9 year span and 2 of those years they were on drugs. Probably a little different situation in 7 of those years.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:10 am
307bball wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:19 pm At this point, we are a program that loses talent. Bohl didn't create the situation that causes all of the transfer stuff but he is never going to be a beneficiary of it. The game has changed out from under him, simple as that.

As Wicks points out...there is a problem at the admin level that whoever replaces Bohl will most likely be unable to overcome as well. The slow motion disaster of college football for Wyoming and teams like Wyoming bums me out. There is probably some program out there on the outside of the P5 that finds a model to succeed...anybody want to bet me a month's paycheck that it's going to be Wyoming?
Outside of the Josh Allen years, Bohl has not been good. CFB didn't leave him behind, just put him further behind.

You are probably right...but he did stumble upon him and now we are on the tail end of the modern college football coaching cycle at Wyoming.

The issue is not whether Bohl deserves credit for the success while JA was under center (he does btw), the issue is whether the HC position is the underlying problem. It's possible that Bohl is no good and it doesn't matter. I'm with Wicks that there are bigger problems in Laramie than the HC. They may even be problems with the structure of college football in which case we are chasing something that is never going to happen.
Credit for JA doesn't matter. Craig Bohl teams with JA were solid. Craig Bohl teams without JA are pretty bad. It really is that simple and data suggests Bohl isn't a great coach unless he has a JA. That's the important part. Who gives a rat's A$$ about credit for JA?

Of course there are systemic problems but Bohl is not handicapped with resources, pay, or facilities relative to the MWC median. There is no excuse to field this type of O year after year. The systemic issues might account for the inability to win conference championships but can't be used as an excuse to field a totally incompetent offense year after year.
So true, Bohl has only done well here when the player carries him. Similar to Dave Christensen, when he arrived they were selling him as an offensive guru. yet, if you remove the Chase Daniels seasons from his resume, his offenses are below average.
I'm not sure why this is so hard for people to grasp. Bohl's performance when he had 2 years with Josh was solid. Bohl's performance 7 years (presumably) is mostly mediocre to poor. Thus, it seems Bohl needs a Josh to be competitive in the MWC. Other teams who don't currently have and never had a Josh but still compete don't have this limitation. You might even be able to say Josh made Bohl at WYO and not the other way around.

If you can't see the difference in Bohl's programs with and without a Josh, I just don't know what to say. If you think another Josh is in the roster or likely will be on the roster, I just don't know what to say.

It isn't hard. Look at it like evaluating someone's life choices in a 9 year span and 2 of those years they were on drugs. Probably a little different situation in 7 of those years.
Find me a coach whose team's results would not go down after generational talent leaves the program and then I would care that Bohl has done worse since JA left. Do you think he was a good coach while JA was here?....I don't. Even if I knew we would have generational talent at the QB position in 50% of the years from here until Bohl leaves I would not take that deal...we have seen what he can accomplish with it and it's better than Wyoming has done lately but not by much.

The results that Wyoming had from 2016 through 2019 (19-13 in conference over 4 years) were above our average for Wyoming in the past 25 years and I thought that maybe, just maybe we were going to continue to trend upwards....that did not happen. You are what your record says you are. Bohl is mediocre or a notch above that at the very best. He has lost the grip on the program and as a result we have been getting worse not better since
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:49 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:10 am

Find me a coach whose team's results would not go down after generational talent leaves the program and then I would care that Bohl has done worse since JA left. Do you think he was a good coach while JA was here?....I don't. Even if I knew we would have generational talent at the QB position in 50% of the years from here until Bohl leaves I would not take that deal...we have seen what he can accomplish with it and it's better than Wyoming has done lately but not by much.

The results that Wyoming had from 2016 through 2019 (19-13 in conference over 4 years) were above our average for Wyoming in the past 25 years and I thought that maybe, just maybe we were going to continue to trend upwards....that did not happen. You are what your record says you are. Bohl is mediocre or a notch above that at the very best. He has lost the grip on the program and as a result we have been getting worse not better since
MAJOR difference between taking a step back vs becoming completely dysfunctional.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:15 pm
307bball wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:49 am Find me a coach whose team's results would not go down after generational talent leaves the program and then I would care that Bohl has done worse since JA left. Do you think he was a good coach while JA was here?....I don't. Even if I knew we would have generational talent at the QB position in 50% of the years from here until Bohl leaves I would not take that deal...we have seen what he can accomplish with it and it's better than Wyoming has done lately but not by much.

MAJOR difference between taking a step back vs becoming completely dysfunctional.
'18 and '19 were the step back...'19 was sneaky close to being a really good season...if my memory serves...we had leads against both SDSU and BSU late in the fourth quarter on the road. We didn't come out ahead in them and the season ended up being kind of disappointing.

Since then ... yep .... trending dysfunctional.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:04 pm
307bball wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:49 am Find me a coach whose team's results would not go down after generational talent leaves the program and then I would care that Bohl has done worse since JA left. Do you think he was a good coach while JA was here?....I don't. Even if I knew we would have generational talent at the QB position in 50% of the years from here until Bohl leaves I would not take that deal...we have seen what he can accomplish with it and it's better than Wyoming has done lately but not by much.

'18 and '19 were the step back...'19 was sneaky close to being a really good season...if my memory serves...we had leads against both SDSU and BSU late in the fourth quarter on the road. We didn't come out ahead in them and the season ended up being kind of disappointing.

Debatable. 19? Could make an argument for solid team though still 4th in mtn division. 18? Weak SOS, not sure I'd hang my hat on that.

Bottom line, Bohl appears to be more rah rah than anything. Another coach with a meaningless slogan. Honestly, not sure I care anymore.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:36 pm
307bball wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:04 pm

Debatable. 19? Could make an argument for solid team though still 4th in mtn division. 18? Weak SOS, not sure I'd hang my hat on that.

Bottom line, Bohl appears to be more rah rah than anything. Another coach with a meaningless slogan. Honestly, not sure I care anymore.
Well we agree on one thing...Bohl needs to go.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying 18 and 19 were anything that would stand out the annals of Wyoming football.... Just that, at the time, I could live with it because I thought "well... The post Josh hangover was always going to be not easy, but, as I noted above, in 19 if the ball bounces another way.... We are back" now we all know that was just unfounded optimism. Turns out, the COVID disaster just made the decline slightly more difficult to see.... But make no mistake.... That four year stretch is as good as Wyoming had done in conference in longer than the players on the team had been alive. I think people who felt like the sun might be rising on the program at that time could be forgiven for thinking that....*edit since this got cut off for some reason* And Bohl is the guy that accomplished it so kudos to him for that I guess. It's cold comfort to fans now.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Honestly, I'd let him ride his contract out. If a few more MWC teams leave, the conference might weaken enough for us to have a shot.

In the meantime, make Linder and staff the highest paid group in the MWC. Pour resources into that group.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 238 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:56 am Honestly, I'd let him ride his contract out. If a few more MWC teams leave, the conference might weaken enough for us to have a shot.

In the meantime, make Linder and staff the highest paid group in the MWC. Pour resources into that group.
I’m probably also in this boat. Let’s not throw more good money at a program that is likely to struggle for awhile under college football’s new rules regardless of coaching staff. See how the MWC shakes out and then we can decide what we want out of the football program. Certainly NO MORE extensions; let Bohl ride his contract out.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:01 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:56 am Honestly, I'd let him ride his contract out. If a few more MWC teams leave, the conference might weaken enough for us to have a shot.

I’m probably also in this boat. Let’s not throw more good money at a program that is likely to struggle for awhile under college football’s new rules regardless of coaching staff. See how the MWC shakes out and then we can decide what we want out of the football program. Certainly NO MORE extensions; let Bohl ride his contract out.
Yeah...not feeling great about that but hope they don't do something rash that Wyoming is on the hook for long term.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

No way. As a lame duck coach, no recruit will come to a program where the coach is going to be kicked out the door. Negotiate a buyout and get the new guy in here. I'm assuming the adm. actually cares about football. But if they don't, then yeah, let him finish his contract. But the last 2 years are going to be disastrous. The stands will be empty and players will be bolting like rats from a sinking ship.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:29 am

No way. As a lame duck coach, no recruit will come to a program where the coach is going to be kicked out the door. Negotiate a buyout and get the new guy in here. I'm assuming the adm. actually cares about football. But if they don't, then yeah, let him finish his contract. But the last 2 years are going to be disastrous. The stands will be empty and players will be bolting like rats from a sinking ship.
The one inconvenient truth here is that no matter who we hire, WYO is not competitive in football. Since the formation of the original BCS, we haven't been competitive. Don't waste the buyout resources on failed football seasons. Play the contract out and see what happens during this round of realignment. Hell, we might fcs by the end of it.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:19 am

The one inconvenient truth here is that no matter who we hire, WYO is not competitive in football. Since the formation of the original BCS, we haven't been competitive. Don't waste the buyout resources on failed football seasons. Play the contract out and see what happens during this round of realignment. Hell, we might fcs by the end of it.
I think that this is the 2x4 that we keep getting hit with...but haven't been willing to acknowledge. No matter how you slice it, we are more similar to Montana State and North Dakota State than we are to Alabama, Iowa State or even CU. We can lament this cold, hard truth. We can grieve it. But it is true. At some point, the chips are so stacked against our Pokes and our conference mates that we will break. The BIG's $7Billion TV deal will be small in the not-so-distant future as the SEC goes back for more. And we will languish with table scraps from crappy streaming deals and backfilling ESPN's Thursday and Friday slates.

Craig Bohl is a fossil. He is stubborn. He is an ass. We might do better with someone else, likely not though. Our record doesn't lie. We've had a charismatic coach, he failed. We've had a spread, up-tempo coach, he failed. We've had a tough guy coach, he's failed. Maybe, just maybe, we simply cannot compete with the talent and resources we have...and that problem will only accelerate at a light speed sort of clip with NIL and unrestricted transfers. NIL is about to get really bad for the have nots with the advent of REVENUE SHARING of TV deal dollars with players. The BIG will have hundreds of millions to seed NIL warchests to actively SHARE with recruits. Next up...doing away with schollie limits. After that...expanded playoffs with NO access for the have nots. Finally, they will break away and we will be with...Montana State, NDSU, and all of our current conference mates...playing for an FCS crown in football. Basketball will then be in their crosshairs, but squad size and the power of March Madness will keep the wild eyed greedy crapweasels from ruining it, at least for a little while.
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

LawPoke wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:36 pm

I think that this is the 2x4 that we keep getting hit with...but haven't been willing to acknowledge. No matter how you slice it, we are more similar to Montana State and North Dakota State than we are to Alabama, Iowa State or even CU. We can lament this cold, hard truth. We can grieve it. But it is true. At some point, the chips are so stacked against our Pokes and our conference mates that we will break. The BIG's $7Billion TV deal will be small in the not-so-distant future as the SEC goes back for more. And we will languish with table scraps from crappy streaming deals and backfilling ESPN's Thursday and Friday slates.

Craig Bohl is a fossil. He is stubborn. He is an A$$. We might do better with someone else, likely not though. Our record doesn't lie. We've had a charismatic coach, he failed. We've had a spread, up-tempo coach, he failed. We've had a tough guy coach, he's failed. Maybe, just maybe, we simply cannot compete with the talent and resources we have...and that problem will only accelerate at a light speed sort of clip with NIL and unrestricted transfers. NIL is about to get really bad for the have nots with the advent of REVENUE SHARING of TV deal dollars with players. The BIG will have hundreds of millions to seed NIL warchests to actively SHARE with recruits. Next up...doing away with schollie limits. After that...expanded playoffs with NO access for the have nots. Finally, they will break away and we will be with...Montana State, NDSU, and all of our current conference mates...playing for an FCS crown in football. Basketball will then be in their crosshairs, but squad size and the power of March Madness will keep the wild eyed greedy crapweasels from ruining it, at least for a little while.
Can't say I disagree with any of this. The schools with the unlimited $$ will win out, for sure. Considering the very uncharted waters of the future of "college" (maybe semi-pro is a better term) football, who knows what the scene might be like in 5/10 years. Will Wyo have the kinds of (financial and otherwise) resources to compete with the likes of Texas A&M, Bama, Clemson, Ohio State? Not a chance. So where will we be? In the meantime, firing Bohl in this sort of unknown environment just doesn't seem worthwhile. At least his program tends to be "stable", without "drama". Until we see more clearly where we stand (and that might take some years) it might be best not to make any rash moves. The devil you know........
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

LawPoke wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:36 pm

Craig Bohl is a fossil. He is stubborn. He is an A$$. We might do better with someone else, likely not though. Our record doesn't lie. We've had a charismatic coach, he failed. We've had a spread, up-tempo coach, he failed. We've had a tough guy coach, he's failed. Maybe, just maybe, we simply cannot compete with the talent and resources we have...and that problem will only accelerate at a light speed sort of clip with NIL and unrestricted transfers. NIL is about to get really bad for the have nots with the advent of REVENUE SHARING of TV deal dollars with players. The BIG will have hundreds of millions to seed NIL warchests to actively SHARE with recruits. Next up...doing away with schollie limits. After that...expanded playoffs with NO access for the have nots. Finally, they will break away and we will be with...Montana State, NDSU, and all of our current conference mates...playing for an FCS crown in football. Basketball will then be in their crosshairs, but squad size and the power of March Madness will keep the wild eyed greedy crapweasels from ruining it, at least for a little while.
It’s funny, years back when I was questioning our place in the football landscape in regards to the state spending big money on the stadium and HAPC, I was a friggin pariah. To be clear, I’m still not stoked we did that while we were pinching pennies on education. Now more and more fans are questioning our place in the landscape, and a few more seem to think we should move down. The State is getting sued for not meeting their constitutional mandate in regards to education spending, which may or may not be true, I don’t know. But they’re talking “serious amounts of money”, whatever that means. I’m not really clamoring to move to down, I’m actually just pissed we spent all that money, with all these promises of conference championships that haven’t been realized. I didn’t buy the promises then, and it’s become pretty apparent I was right. And don’t give me the whole no one saw NIL coming bit, this was happening regardless of that, it only made it worse. The widening of the gap was entirely predictable. We got caught up in the arms race to what extent we could be, but we should have all known it was never gonna be enough to keep up.

I think we could actually stay somewhat relevant where we are with the right coaching. If not, it really is time to get out of the arms race and play against whoever our peers shake out to be.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

If the Cowboys start of 0-5, does Bohl get the hook midseason?
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

cowpoke pride wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:38 pm If the Cowboys start of 0-5, does Bohl get the hook midseason?
He should, but he won't. Burman likely still smarts from the Heath mid-season termination. I just don't see it.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 154 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:22 pm while we were pinching pennies on education.
this made me laugh. what planet do you live on? education spending gets as much return as cowboy football spending....not much. education spending is a bottomless pit of bureaucratic waste. Give school another 250K and they'll add two assistant principles.
W-Y, Until I Die!
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

cowpoke pride wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:38 pm If the Cowboys start of 0-5, does Bohl get the hook midseason?
No way. UW doesn't have the money for that. I'm with a few others, let's ride this out, see what happens and then re-evaluate. Someone said "the devil you know" and that's unfortunately where we're at. Not that I'm happy about it.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 123 times

laxwyo wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:30 pm
bullbugle307 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:22 pm while we were pinching pennies on education.
this made me laugh. what planet do you live on? education spending gets as much return as cowboy football spending....not much. education spending is a bottomless pit of bureaucratic waste. Give school another 250K and they'll add two assistant principles.
Yep! And I want to thank you for your user picture - that is a really nice arse!!! :thumb:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 135 times

laxwyo wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:30 pm
He speaks truth! This is 💯 truth.