Conference musical chairs

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Well...it is being reported that SMU, Stanford and Cal have been extended an official invitation.

I think this is somewhat expected but something interesting is that SMU is apparently forgoing any TV money for some time...per ESPN: "SMU is expected to come in for nine years with no broadcast media revenue,..." That is crazy!.... But it's the logical extension that there is no price too high to pay to get into whatever club ends up being at the highest echelon of CFB. If the gamble pays off...the revenue that is thrown off at that level of CFB is enormous.

This really lays bare something that Wyoming has been on the wrong side of for a lot longer than just the Craig Bohl era. People like to point out that "well..it's not like the other MW teams are getting into that club so we are at least on equal footing with them"...and while that is true...it's a bit misleading. BSU, Fresno, UNLV, CSU, and SDSU all get talked about like they are the most attractive programs in the MW for consideration for entrance into the big program club. Wyoming is NEVER in that conversation. I don't think any of those schools will actually end up there but that is not the point. The medium to high level MW coaching pool and recruiting pool are aware of that perception. It is going to continue to be harder to compete within the MW as that narrative continues to be broadcast. Then if WSU and Oregon State get added...those are programs that are added to the top of the conference...not the bottom.

I think the beginning of this dichotomy was sometime during the Dimel era and caught fire during the Glenn era. Now it is full on. It's not like the playing field nationally was ever level but it's trickling (perhaps surging) into the level-ness of the conference competitive balance. Is there a coaching ability difference between the top and bottom of these conferences?..for sure...but the real difference is in resources available and Wyoming has gotten an amazing amount out of what we have but there is almost no boosters or audience out there waiting to be tapped.

Anyways....long post....I've been chastised for not keeping things short but these topics aren't simple. What are your thoughts?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

307bball wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:55 am Well...it is being reported that SMU, Stanford and Cal have been extended an official invitation.

I think this is somewhat expected but something interesting is that SMU is apparently forgoing any TV money for some time...per ESPN: "SMU is expected to come in for nine years with no broadcast media revenue,..." That is crazy!.... But it's the logical extension that there is no price too high to pay to get into whatever club ends up being at the highest echelon of CFB. If the gamble pays off...the revenue that is thrown off at that level of CFB is enormous.

This really lays bare something that Wyoming has been on the wrong side of for a lot longer than just the Craig Bohl era. People like to point out that "well..it's not like the other MW teams are getting into that club so we are at least on equal footing with them"...and while that is true...it's a bit misleading. BSU, Fresno, UNLV, CSU, and SDSU all get talked about like they are the most attractive programs in the MW for consideration for entrance into the big program club. Wyoming is NEVER in that conversation. I don't think any of those schools will actually end up there but that is not the point. The medium to high level MW coaching pool and recruiting pool are aware of that perception. It is going to continue to be harder to compete within the MW as that narrative continues to be broadcast. Then if WSU and Oregon State get added...those are programs that are added to the top of the conference...not the bottom.

I think the beginning of this dichotomy was sometime during the Dimel era and caught fire during the Glenn era. Now it is full on. It's not like the playing field nationally was ever level but it's trickling (perhaps surging) into the level-ness of the conference competitive balance. Is there a coaching ability difference between the top and bottom of these conferences?..for sure...but the real difference is in resources available and Wyoming has gotten an amazing amount out of what we have but there is almost no boosters or audience out there waiting to be tapped.

Anyways....long post....I've been chastised for not keeping things short but these topics aren't simple. What are your thoughts?
We’d be sitting good if we had potential, but our market is relatively small with no hopes
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 12 times

I think all MWC schools are staying put, even in the long run. The conference itself is fairly stable.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

It’s all about the “eye balls” in the market. If it’s performance the ewes don’t deserve a discussion over The Pokes, but their market has more eyeballs.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:40 am It’s all about the “eye balls” in the market. If it’s performance the ewes don’t deserve a discussion over The Pokes, but their market has more eyeballs.
I don't think it will happen. The state of Colorado isn't exactly a college football hotbed.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

2024 WSU and OSU either join the MWC, or all MWC teams join the "PAC" under that label. That will likely last a few years.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Oh I’m so amused watching the folks at Ft Colin having a meltdown on the ewe message board realizing their future is still in the MW/Pac conference. Actually their disloyalty to the conference is telling. What a arrogant marijuana high delusional group.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:42 am Oh I’m so amused watching the folks at Ft Colin having a meltdown on the ewe message board realizing their future is still in the MW/Pac conference. Actually their disloyalty to the conference is telling. What a arrogant marijuana high delusional group.
Can't believe they thought they were going anywhere better. They are a smaller market than us. LMAO they are stooooopid
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:48 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:42 am Oh I’m so amused watching the folks at Ft Colin having a meltdown on the ewe message board realizing their future is still in the MW/Pac conference. Actually their disloyalty to the conference is telling. What a arrogant marijuana high delusional group.
Can't believe they thought they were going anywhere better. They are a smaller market than us. LMAO they are stooooopid
Is that true?
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

My dislike for them is borderline as high as BYU.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:06 am

Is that true?
depends on how you think about it. Does UW own all of Wyoming? imo yes. Does CSU own anything, but Fort collins proper and maybe part of Loveland? imo this is true. UNC owns Greeley and CU owns the rest of Colorado. What is the population of the fort collins area? Bigger than all of Wyoming? I don't think it is quite yet
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:31 am I think all MWC schools are staying put, even in the long run. The conference itself is fairly stable.
Just because I saw the signature. Tierney and the team are looking really good so far this year! I think the new coach (and staff) is really instilling happiness and confidence in the players on the court.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 129 times

Without knowing how pac12 revenue and assets will be managed, it's impossible to know what will happen.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:06 am
WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:31 am I think all MWC schools are staying put, even in the long run. The conference itself is fairly stable.
Just because I saw the signature. Tierney and the team are looking really good so far this year! I think the new coach (and staff) is really instilling happiness and confidence in the players on the court.
Got to agree. Callihan was positively dour by the end of his tenure. People don't respond well to that.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:09 am Without knowing how pac12 revenue and assets will be managed, it's impossible to know what will happen.
PAC12 liabilities…unless something changes, assuming that debt would be insane.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Eh...every fanbase has its weird little echo chambers with dogsh** takes. Message boards sometimes tend to be insular and have that happen, although still nowhere near as bad as Facebook/Twitter.

The CSU fans on the CFB Reddit haven't been like that at all regarding realignment. Though in general a handful of specific individuals are supremely annoying (and they're generally one of the more hated fanbases over there), none of them have had any delusions on this specific topic.

I know it's fun to seek out the braindead stuff on rival team messageboards, but keep in mind we've had our share on nonsense on this board too. All boards have.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:03 am

Is that true?
depends on how you think about it. Does UW own all of Wyoming? imo yes. Does CSU own anything, but Fort collins proper and maybe part of Loveland? imo this is true. UNC owns Greeley and CU owns the rest of Colorado. What is the population of the fort collins area? Bigger than all of Wyoming? I don't think it is quite yet
That may be....I doubt that the territorial breakdown of colorado is very fixed though...People will gravitate towards whomever is good. That even holds true for Wyoming....fair chunks if SE Wyoming are pretty partial to the huskers over the Cowboys and an embarrassing amount of SW Wyoming and the northern Big Horn Basin are BYU supporters.

...I think the counter-argument that a marketing person would make is that if Wyoming and CSU both go on a competitive upswing, CSU gets way higher than Wyoming just simply because of population. That is literally the only thing that they have....potential numbers. I think there are plenty of people that care about CSU but they have given them exactly zero to be excited about for a very long time.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

If the Pac2 is retaining P5 position it would make sense to absorb the MWC than vice versa... Who cares what the conference is called. PAC-14, oust the current leadership, Nevaraz brought in as commissioner, and a new media rights deal negotiated. Seems like a step forward.
I'm good for 3!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:20 pm
Eh...every fanbase has its weird little echo chambers with dogsh** takes. Message boards sometimes tend to be insular and have that happen, although still nowhere near as bad as Facebook/Twitter.

The CSU fans on the CFB Reddit haven't been like that at all regarding realignment. Though in general a handful of specific individuals are supremely annoying (and they're generally one of the more hated fanbases over there), none of them have had any delusions on this specific topic.

I know it's fun to seek out the braindead stuff on rival team messageboards, but keep in mind we've had our share on nonsense on this board too. All boards have.
Eh, I’m gonna continue to read what I read on their board, and continue to think they are arrogant. And I’ll continue to totally dislike their lack of loyalty. They would destroy this conference if they could. Eh, I’ll continue to really, reALLY dislike them for it.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:03 am

Is that true?
And Air Force has a good Colorado following.