Conference musical chairs

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 50 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:49 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:03 am
depends on how you think about it. Does UW own all of Wyoming? imo yes. Does CSU own anything, but Fort collins proper and maybe part of Loveland? imo this is true. UNC owns Greeley and CU owns the rest of Colorado. What is the population of the fort collins area? Bigger than all of Wyoming? I don't think it is quite yet
And Air Force has a good Colorado following.
TV market aside, the best football team in the Colorado market over the last several years is.... Wyoming. And when we play well we get national attention. Ask Stanford Steve.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 128 times

Interesting concept on PAC/MW 2 conference promotion relegation system.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-footba ... 10955.html
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 233 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:59 pm Interesting concept on PAC/MW 2 conference promotion relegation system.

This makes a lot of sense for football. The rest of the sports would need to be more permanently in a single conference I would think.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 130 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:59 pm Interesting concept on PAC/MW 2 conference promotion relegation system.

Translation: we don't want to play most of you bums, can't afford your buyouts, but need to sooth our bruised egos by making it look like we're doing something. We only need to come up with something mwc presidents might be dumb enough to go for.

You don't need 2 conferences for this. You can just have a flex scheduling approach and perhaps mini playoff for championship.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:36 am

Translation: we don't want to play most of you bums, can't afford your buyouts, but need to sooth our bruised egos by making it look like we're doing something. We only need to come up with something mwc presidents might be dumb enough to go for.

You don't need 2 conferences for this. You can just have a flex scheduling approach and perhaps mini playoff for championship.
I disagree.

Translation: this is how do we take advantage of the 2 existing approved NCAA conferences to capture what value both conferences have and to better situate one team to advance to the future NCAA playoff. Also how do we create intrigue to boost our profile for media deals. The end of the season games to see what teams go up and what teams go down is now great TV for games which likely would have otherwise been relatively meaningless.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 15 times

Just more bullsh!t. Not going to happen.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:12 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:36 am

I disagree.

Translation: this is how do we take advantage of the 2 existing approved NCAA conferences to capture what value both conferences have and to better situate one team to advance to the future NCAA playoff. Also how do we create intrigue to boost our profile for media deals. The end of the season games to see what teams go up and what teams go down is now great TV for games which likely would have otherwise been relatively meaningless.
It'll work out great for bsu, osu, wsu, suds, and fresno. The remaining 11 fight over table scraps and last 3 spots. Revenue sharing won't be equal.

Great way to cream the mwc without buyout.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I'll also add that nobody other than a few conference diehards and the teams involved are going to care about games involving the bottom of the pac division and 2nd vs 3rd on the mwc. TV knows this.

This is either doing something to do something or trying to set 5 teams up in a better situation. My money is on the latter
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:36 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:12 am

I disagree.

It'll work out great for bsu, osu, wsu, suds, and fresno. The remaining 11 fight over table scraps and last 3 spots. Revenue sharing won't be equal.

If you’re saying we can’t compete with those teams, we might as well drop football or go to the RMAC.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:15 am

If you’re saying we can’t compete with those teams, we might as well drop football or go to the RMAC.
In the last 10 or so years years we have not competed well with them....this year might be different (remains to be seen). BSU, Fresno, SDSU, AFA, USU, and CSU all have more conference wins than us in the Bohl era. Here is a list ranked by conference wins in the Bohl era excluding the covid year.

BSU 53
SDSU 46
AFA 41
USU 40
FRESNO 36
CSU 31
WYO 30
NEV 28
HAW 23
SJSU 21
UNLV 19
UNM 16

BSU through USU over that time period is the top tier ... mid tier is CSU, Wyoming and Nevada. bottom tier is Hawaii, SJSU, UNLV, and UNM. Fresno has gotten better over that time so they are much better now than in the beginning of the Bohl era. Since Bohl has gotten his sh#$ together...we have more conference wins than CSU and are catching USU and Fresno but still mid tier.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:15 am

We'd be competitive for 1 of the 3 remaining spots. We haven't competed well with the top of the mwc. Adding osu and wsu likely adds a few more teams we won't consistently be competitive with. It is what it is. We strive to be decent most years hoping for a breakout year from time to time.

The larger issue is p5 and playoff. I predict the proposed league won't have access to either in a few years. This is nothing more than osu and wsu buying time to restock the pac. It does nothing but weaken the MWC and strengthen the pac. When they tire of moving up and down, they'll just split. Where we will be?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

https://theathletic.com/4887805/2023/09 ... ent/?amp=1

That smelled of bsu schtick. Now I have no doubt that it is just phase 1 of complete separation while avoiding buyouts. At best, they're trying to angle for another sweetheart deal.

bsu and csu are as bad as byu.

People actually bought into this bs, lol.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Unequal revenue distribution that has no sunset is poisonous. If Wyoming were In BSU's position I would say the same thing. Of course, If Wyoming were in BSU's position the people in charge would do the same thing BSU is doing but it's still a bad idea.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:37 am Unequal revenue distribution that has no sunset is poisonous. If Wyoming were In BSU's position I would say the same thing. Of course, If Wyoming were in BSU's position the people in charge would do the same thing BSU is doing but it's still a bad idea.
My translation above seems pretty accurate except you're right, it isn't all ego. It's money. The translation to these talks is that osu, wsu, and certain mwc teams feel they are more important than anyone else thus deserve all the money.

This perception is not sustainable nor is it stable even with buyouts. WYO better start planning for the worst and voting accordingly in MWC matters. It's not going to end well for the MWC. Agreeing to some bs deal that devalues the MWC while hoping your school isn't stuck with the also rans is one of the dumbest things I've seen thrown out there. I hope at least 9 of our schools keep their sanity.

I don't think it will matter. The PAC at some point will be osu, wsu, bsu, fresno, suds, csu, unlv, and AF.

If that comes true, realistically our best bet is something like:
utep
nmsu
unm
hi
WYO
nv
usu
sjsu

Looking strictly at budgets, these sort of lump together. The other 4 are above 60 mill:
WYO
unm
sjsu
nv
usu
hi

bsu (likely doesn' matter)
fresno (likely doesn't matter)

I'm guessing something like that in the next 4-5 years will shake out.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:35 am My translation above seems pretty accurate except you're right, it isn't all ego. It's money. The translation to these talks is that osu, wsu, and certain mwc teams feel they are more important than anyone else thus deserve all the money.

This perception is not sustainable nor is it stable even with buyouts. WYO better start planning for the worst and voting accordingly in MWC matters. It's not going to end well for the MWC. Agreeing to some bs deal that devalues the MWC while hoping your school isn't stuck with the also rans is one of the dumbest things I've seen thrown out there. I hope at least 9 of our schools keep their sanity.

I don't think it will matter. The PAC at some point will be osu, wsu, bsu, fresno, suds, csu, unlv, and AF.

utep
nmsu
unm
hi
WYO
nv
usu
sjsu

Looking strictly at budgets, these sort of lump together. The other 4 are above 60 mill:
WYO
unm
sjsu
nv
usu
hi

Interestingly, Wyoming's media effect is larger than just the market in Cheyenne/Laramie (or even the whole state of Wyoming). I know that SDSU is more than mildly jealous that such a small market school seems to be such a media darling. The presidents seem to know where Wyoming's value is, it's the fans of a lot of the schools you list that do not.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 84 times

sandiegopoke wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:35 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:35 am My translation above seems pretty accurate except you're right, it isn't all ego. It's money. The translation to these talks is that osu, wsu, and certain mwc teams feel they are more important than anyone else thus deserve all the money.

utep
nmsu
unm
hi
WYO
nv
usu
sjsu

WYO
unm
sjsu
nv
usu
hi

Interestingly, Wyoming's media effect is larger than just the market in Cheyenne/Laramie (or even the whole state of Wyoming). I know that SDSU is more than mildly jealous that such a small market school seems to be such a media darling. The presidents seem to know where Wyoming's value is, it's the fans of a lot of the schools you list that do not.
When my wife and are travelling during football season we occasionally end up at a sports bar and ask if they can put on the Wyoming game. It seems that our enthusiasm is contagious as before too long there is usually a solid group cheering for the Pokes. Most people it seems just like cheering for a team from Wyoming.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

doreno5 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:52 pm
sandiegopoke wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:35 pm

When my wife and are travelling during football season we occasionally end up at a sports bar and ask if they can put on the Wyoming game. It seems that our enthusiasm is contagious as before too long there is usually a solid group cheering for the Pokes. Most people it seems just like cheering for a team from Wyoming.
The World Needs More Cowboys - salt of the earth folks.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Heard another possibility on one of the broadcasts yesterday: osu and wsu to mwc for football only. Pac rebuilds with wcc teams.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:00 am Heard another possibility on one of the broadcasts yesterday: osu and wsu to mwc for football only. Pac rebuilds with wcc teams.
WCC is a group of religious schools. Seems unlikely.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

How much longer is it going to take to just merge the MW and the PAC-2? Geez get it done!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... r-AA1i334F