Pretty lackluster

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 240 times

Bleh. Hope that wasn’t our best effort. Lot of good, but lots of bad. Whatever
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Anyone have any insight why we can’t run over an FCS team even if they know it’s coming? If we can’t even do that vs an FCS team why would it be successful vs good teams? It drives me nuts. Bohl’s offense is just trash. Portland state ran the ball more effectively smh
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

I don't think the coaching staff gave this game much thought. If you listen to Bohl's interview leaving the field, he didn't even do the usual "One night to celebrate, then we are on to the next game rah rah stuff. " It was "we won - now we must prepare for Austin next week."

We usually get a huge separation in the 4th quarter in serious games. They wouldn't have pulled Peasley if they were interested in doing anything but putting a check in the 'W' column.

Then part of me says - knowing Bohl's character, he didn't really care to do anything to that team after the shelacking they took last weekend. I think this is more likely than not.

Boring ass game otherwise. About like watching corn grow or paint dry. Passed more yards than we ran. Lost the TOP (another indicator they just didn't care.)

Hell if I know, maybe we just sucked it up. Really wish it looked like we had a team that could steam roll the schedule. Instead it looks like we are just left to guess.

And its too bad, after last weeks good W, there were nearly as many campers in the parking lots. Good crowd. I'm sure this win will start shrinking the crowds.

Lets hope they were just looking ahead and focusing on texas.

OT - I'm suprised that Oregon / TTU is this close at half time - 18-13 Oregon
Hotkarl
Buckaroo
Been liked: 5 times

Id like to see the snaps per player. I think a lot of back ups got snaps and that shows probably more of an issue of depth. They played it probably a little to close, it worked out and I dont think we were in Really any jeopardy. All eyes on Texas now. Lets stun them.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Hotkarl wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:03 pm Id like to see the snaps per player. I think a lot of back ups got snaps and that shows probably more of an issue of depth.
Huh? Other than Peasley, I don’t believe any other starters were pulled. We played our best players.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

It certainly would've been nice to win by 40, but it didn't feel like the lead was in serious danger despite a few mishaps.

I think the big takeaway is that we're still going to have a winning record even after playing Texas, and that's something I was certain wasn't going to be the case. Also, TT played Oregon close, so they can't be absolutely terrible either.

Mainly, I'm just hoping to get out of our next game without any major injuries. Texas looked awesome vs Alabama on the road. Something tells me that even if we play our best game against them, they'll stomp us. Obviously I'll be quite happy to be wrong about that.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:59 pm
Hotkarl wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:03 pm Id like to see the snaps per player. I think a lot of back ups got snaps and that shows probably more of an issue of depth.
Huh? Other than Peasley, I don’t believe any other starters were pulled. We played our best players.
Either way, they pulled the plug by end of the 3rd. Knowing Bohl, there’s no way they pull Peas unless they were downshifting. I fully expected Peas until about 3 minutes left in the game.

I’m no where near as upset as some others on this board. We passed great and players had a great game. 4th quarter really hurt some rush averages. I think the D kicked it into cruise control later.
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:14 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:59 pm

Either way, they pulled the plug by end of the 3rd. Knowing Bohl, there’s no way they pull Peas unless they were downshifting. I fully expected Peas until about 3 minutes left in the game.

I’m no where near as upset as some others on this board. We passed great and players had a great game. 4th quarter really hurt some rush averages. I think the D kicked it into cruise control later.
I feel the same. Peasly threw the ball the best I've ever seen him. We saw great production from the receivers. When Scott fumbled, he got benched for a while. I would still like to see if he can be our power back. We played like a team that had a double overtime game last week and has to play a very good, possibly a great Texas team next week.
I don't think Portland State is that bad. They have some good players. Just like the TT win may not end up as that great (especially if TT keeps losing), this win may be better than it appears now.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:35 pm Anyone have any insight why we can’t run over an FCS team even if they know it’s coming? If we can’t even do that vs an FCS team why would it be successful vs good teams? It drives me nuts. Bohl’s offense is just trash. Portland state ran the ball more effectively smh
We had almost the exact number of rushes, they ran the ball one more time than us, yet we outgained them on the ground by almost double. How were they more effective? The final result was very close to what you expected. You believed we'd win 24-10 and the final was 31-17, so a little better than you thought. Bohl, for better or worse, tries to run a ball control offense, their plan was to do the same thing, they just couldn't convert ball control and amount of plays run, into points. I wouldn't expect too many blow outs regardless of the opponent with Bohl at the helm.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

They got the job done, lots of players got lots of time, reps etc....who knows maybe Texas comes off a hangover beatin the Mighty Crimson Tide....football is weird at times and blowouts are hard to come by!!! Saw em off!!! Beat Texas, major football news besides CU...get er done
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

cowboyz wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:17 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:35 pm Anyone have any insight why we can’t run over an FCS team even if they know it’s coming? If we can’t even do that vs an FCS team why would it be successful vs good teams? It drives me nuts. Bohl’s offense is just trash. Portland state ran the ball more effectively smh
We had almost the exact number of rushes, they ran the ball one more time than us, yet we outgained them on the ground by almost double. How were they more effective? The final result was very close to what you expected. You believed we'd win 24-10 and the final was 31-17, so a little better than you thought. Bohl, for better or worse, tries to run a ball control offense, their plan was to do the same thing, they just couldn't convert ball control and amount of plays run, into points. I wouldn't expect too many blow outs regardless of the opponent with Bohl at the helm.
I believe that in college football they subtract sack yardage from rushing totals. If you take the 4 sacks we had out of the equation, Portland State's rush yardage looks a little better.

The offense performed about how I expected them to perform - maybe even a little better than I expected. I think our defensive performance does give some mild cause for concern. There were lots of missed tackles that resulted in first downs and extended drives for Portland State. Even when there wasn't a missed tackle, there was lots of positive yardage that Portland State was getting after first contact. For a supposedly "dominant defense", you shouldn't see those things, especially against a less talented FCS team.

I felt this game would be a classic "trap game" before it kicked off, and I still feel that way after watching it. One of the hardest things to do in college football is having a team that can perform at a consistent level regardless of opponent and/or any other extraneous circumstances. Only the elite teams are capable of it, and I certainly don't think this team is at that level.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Didn't catch this one but lackluster seems to be a common comment.

Honestly, I think it'll be after the Appy State game before we have a good feel for how good this team is or isn't.

Man, for once in my lifetime, I want the POKES to go into a huge stage and do the unimaginable. I know, I know...
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

One thing is for certain, if Peasley gets hurt we are doomed. They clearly have zero confidence in Svoboda’s ability to throw the ball.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:34 am One thing is for certain, if Peasley gets hurt we are doomed. They clearly have zero confidence in Svoboda’s ability to throw the ball.
I’m not sure that is the conclusion to be drawn. Bohl is notorious for trying to run the game out when he has a 4th qtr lead even when the other team commits everyone to the box. In the spring game, Svoboda delivered an absolute missile and is said to be able to throw the ball 70 yards. I think Bohl thinks he is cute by setting up a future opponent to bring in Svoboda for an apparent run play to throw a bomb (I think opponents are smart enough to realize this).
Alaska
Buckaroo

To give some insight, I root for both Minnesota and Wyoming. Long story, for another time… but what you experience at WYO is similar to the Gophers. They never seem to smash the opponents they are superior to, but hang with the toughest opponents. Minnesota has had a good run of winning seasons and I can see WYO trending that way too. Big picture is winning games as frustrating as it can be sometimes to underperform in a win.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:27 am
SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:34 am One thing is for certain, if Peasley gets hurt we are doomed. They clearly have zero confidence in Svoboda’s ability to throw the ball.
I’m not sure that is the conclusion to be drawn. Bohl is notorious for trying to run the game out when he has a 4th qtr lead even when the other team commits everyone to the box. In the spring game, Svoboda delivered an absolute missile and is said to be able to throw the ball 70 yards. I think Bohl thinks he is cute by setting up a future opponent to bring in Svoboda for an apparent run play to throw a bomb (I think opponents are smart enough to realize this).
The question is, “which game do you set this up for?” Boise?
W-Y, Until I Die!
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Team definitely looked like they were on cruise control, but they made it work. Peasley was efficient and the passing game showed a lot of signs of life. Ground game was vanilla as expected. Definitely a little hungover from last weekend, which was expected. Others mentioned it, but it's pretty telling that they just wanted to chalk up a W with minimal effort and that's what happened.

I can see Texas coming out flat next week. Not saying the Pokes pull off the upset, but they're gonna hang around.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

cowboyz wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:17 pm
If it weren’t for the sack yards they outgain us. They had as many first downs and converted more third downs. We couldn’t get off the field
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

The latest that I've read up on it was the team just wasn't that excited to play this game. Coaches couldn't get them fired up. Did what they needed to do to win and that was it.

Don't know if its true, coach speak, or bs, but it's what I've gathered from the latest round of Cody Tucker articles. Still haven't found the post game presser.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

The PSU game was a trap game and we won. It's over. It was an intensely boring game. The crowd of 22,000+ was never really into it and neither were the players or coaches. Maybe Bohl called off the dogs a little too soon, but we won employing extremely vanilla playcalling on offense and defense. No one was injured and we came out 2-0.

My main concern is turnovers. The Peasley INT was mostly attributable to our WR falling down, but he shouldn't have thrown the ball. The bigger issue is ball security with the RBs. Perhaps Waylee will be back for our trip to Austin, which might help. I hope he is able to make his debut in Brown and Gold and that he can bring some sharpness to the RB room. Our backs have got to secure the rock or it will cost us.

Other than puking fumbles, I was not very pleased with our secondary. Wrook Brown looked lost and let his man have inside position to body him out on far too many snaps - and it resulted in Portland State points and first downs. I hope he comes out with some fire for his TX homecoming. The other guys were 'meh' - partially because their QB had all day to throw (c'mon D-line) and partly because our DBs were not in the best position.

All in all, we have a lot to clean up. I don't really care about the TX game - they are a juggernaut. My focus is on Appy State and conference play. If we can come out of OOC with a 3-1 slate, it will be a fantastic accomplishment and set us up for - hopefully - a good conference run. To get there, though, we have to clean up the fumbles and the D has to dominate like I think they can.