DQ Dismissed

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:19 am
laxwyo wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:05 am

I tend to agree with this. I had really high hopes for DQ. I thought he could break some runs open, take some screens to the house or just make something happen with a check down. Didn’t see much of that this year and goes down easy. I think his lack of touches probably upset him and it’s likely he went off on one of the coaches. Hell, just like the “insider” said, it probably was the rb coach. They’re all hardasses dealing with kids. They’re not going to take one of them coming in and telling them how it is. I can hear, “if that’s how you feel, there’s the door”. that’s what would happen if I did that at work. Serious “I didn’t get fired, I quit” vibes.
It's comical that the coaches couldn't get him the ball in better spots. Run the midget up the middle. geez. And when we tried something Peasley throws an awful pass that gets picked for 6.
I too was excited for him but he really did struggle even when he got outside. It's not like he got zero opportunities. Wyoming's offense has used guys like DQ but not at RB...remember Austin Conway? Just a bad fit for everybody, and maybe some of the shiftiness never returned after his surgery. Bummer all around.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

DQ has elite quickness and good speed. Despite having these qualities, he did not prove particularly elusive. He also did not have great field vision - this was most evident on zone blocking runs when he often cut up the wrong gap or was late to recognize where the gap was going to open. As another poster already mentioned, I think he has the potential to be a pretty good slot receiver in the right offense as long as he has the hands for it.

Another thing working against him is that he has an elite running back in front of him in Waylee. I get the feeling a large portion of the fanbase does not comprehend how good Waylee is. I know it is a limited sample size, but I believe he is the most talented running back I have seen at UW in the last three decades. In my opinion, he looks better than Christopherson, Brigham, Devin Moore, and even Brian Hill. His field vision is phenomenal. He seems to know where the gap is going to be before it even opens up and when it does open up, he cuts and gets through it insanely quickly. Then he has the straight line speed to outrun the secondary. The two long touchdowns he broke off against Texas and App State are perfect examples of this.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

TheRealUW wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:51 am DQ has elite quickness and good speed. Despite having these qualities, he did not prove particularly elusive. He also did not have great field vision - this was most evident on zone blocking runs when he often cut up the wrong gap or was late to recognize where the gap was going to open. As another poster already mentioned, I think he has the potential to be a pretty good slot receiver in the right offense as long as he has the hands for it.

Another thing working against him is that he has an elite running back in front of him in Waylee. I get the feeling a large portion of the fanbase does not comprehend how good Waylee is. I know it is a limited sample size, but I believe he is the most talented running back I have seen at UW in the last three decades. In my opinion, he looks better than Christopherson, Brigham, Devin Moore, and even Brian Hill. His field vision is phenomenal. He seems to know where the gap is going to be before it even opens up and when it does open up, he cuts and gets through it insanely quickly. Then he has the straight line speed to outrun the secondary. The two long touchdowns he broke off against Texas and App State are perfect examples of this.
Wow...now you are getting me excited!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:36 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:30 pm DQs aunt is on FB crying Bohl is racist and the reason for DQs departure. I liked DQ, was a fan. I highly doubt Bohl is racist. That’s not something I’ve heard before. Nonetheless I wish DQ the best.
I hope our fanbase has learned enough by this point to ignore former players family members social media rants.
As a fan I didn’t say I agree with her. Just stating what is claiming. Actually I defended Bohl regarding this topic.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:07 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:36 am

I hope our fanbase has learned enough by this point to ignore former players family members social media rants.
As a fan I didn’t say I agree with her. Just stating what is claiming. Actually I defended Bohl regarding this topic.
Wasn't directing at you. Just hoping nobody wastes their time engaging these family members. IMO some people doing so only made the Cali 3 debacle worse/longer than it needed top be. Nothing gained from it in the end.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Interesting article.

Many who entered the portal and left are seeing limited or no playing time.

https://7220sports.com/wyoming-football ... tid=Zxz2cZ
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:51 pm Interesting article.

Yeah, it’s a mixed bag. I would still like to have Solomon Byrd, Pregnon, Neyor and Cobbs on this team. But forget them all. Not Cowboys
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

Wow lets always be ready to pull out that very convenient race card when the urge hits! Some of these people are so predictable. How ugly can you get?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

307bball wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:52 am
TheRealUW wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:51 am DQ has elite quickness and good speed. Despite having these qualities, he did not prove particularly elusive. He also did not have great field vision - this was most evident on zone blocking runs when he often cut up the wrong gap or was late to recognize where the gap was going to open. As another poster already mentioned, I think he has the potential to be a pretty good slot receiver in the right offense as long as he has the hands for it.

Waylee might be the most talented running back ever to come to Wyoming period. He doesn’t quite seem to get the extra yard like Brian Hill was good at doing but a guy that explosive in the secondary causes big problems for the defensive alignment.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

BTW - DQ’s replacement might be walk on Mitch Anderson. DQ clone in terms of size and skill set.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:56 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:51 pm Interesting article.

Yeah, it’s a mixed bag. I would still like to have Solomon Byrd, Pregnon, Neyor and Cobbs on this team. But forget them all. Not Cowboys
Omotosho having no stats at Oregon St is pretty surprising to me. Our d-line hasnt' missed him, but he was obviously a talented player.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:05 am
Omotosho having no stats at Oregon St is pretty surprising to me. Our d-line hasnt' missed him, but he was obviously a talented player.
I'm starting to think the portal will normalize somewhat. Big programs will likely scrutinize the transfers a little more if the success rate isn't good.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:54 am BTW - DQ’s replacement might be walk on Mitch Anderson. DQ clone in terms of size and skill set.
Interesting, but if he did get in the coaches would just run him up the middle.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:53 am
307bball wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:52 am

Waylee might be the most talented running back ever to come to Wyoming period. He doesn’t quite seem to get the extra yard like Brian Hill was good at doing but a guy that explosive in the secondary causes big problems for the defensive alignment.
Waylee has the goods as a runner. Wyoming does not pass frequently enough to judge him as a receiver or in pass protection but his speed and cutback ability make him special. Maybe not Brian Hill yet but definitely has the potential.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Ah yeah. He was really good. He could generate pressure on basically every play. The grass isn't always greener and now he's a nobody. Hope he is happy with riding the pine. Same with Neyor, Cobbs. Their asses ride the pine. Not Cowboys.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:01 am

Ah yeah. He was really good. He could generate pressure on basically every play. The grass isn't always greener and now he's a nobody. Hope he is happy with riding the pine. Same with Neyor, Cobbs. Their asses ride the pine. Not Cowboys.
What does that say when a guy like Omotosho who looks talented can't see playing time after a transfer? It's not like he went to Alabama...do we just have overall very low talent?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:07 am
What does that say when a guy like Omotosho who looks talented can't see playing time after a transfer? It's not like he went to Alabama...do we just have overall very low talent?
First off, he went to a top 15-20 team, so it’s not like he’s playing with a bunch of bums. What is says to me is the P5 talent level is higher, yes, but it speaks to continuity and relationships. Omothosho was recruited by us, developed by us and had a bond with our coaches and players. We were invested in Omothosho. Oregon state doesn’t care about him as much. They just saw him as a backup edge that was on the market. They picked him up like I pick up a gallon of milk at the store. Omothosho was prized to us because of how everything transpired with his career after high school and Oregon state and their coaches don’t care about him as much because they didn’t recruit him and develop him. When two players are equal who are you going to give the playing time to? The player you have known for three or four years and developed, trained and feel comfortable with or the player you picked off the trash heap that means little to you personally?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Yes. It is clear that with a Bohl team, the whole is greater than the the sum of the parts.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:08 am

Yes. It is clear that with a Bohl team, the whole is greater than the the sum of the parts.
True, but we did supply USC with two starters. And gave Arizona State a starting RB. We’re not devoid of talent and have a good amount in the NFL compared to our conference peers
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:14 am

I'm starting to think the portal will normalize somewhat. Big programs will likely scrutinize the transfers a little more if the success rate isn't good.
If anything it might be the opposite. A low success rate will be used by programs by Wyoming to convince players to stay. I'm sure Oregon State is happy to have a player like Omotosho on their depth chart even if he never sees the field. It's a win for the program but a loss for the player.