Waylee, and game thoughts

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

Waylee is incredible. Strong, quick, fast, powerful and possesses excellent vision. He’s averaging like 8 yards per carry. It seems like he’s a threat to go for 6 whenever he touches it. Crazy thing is the long runs come from seemingly nothing, where he runs by 11 guys.

Peasley played better. Got to give credit, but there is still room for improvement. The one area is third downs. What is it with us and third downs on offense and defense. Ball games are often won on third downs, but can be offset by big plays and we got some on O but gave up way too many on D. Asante is fast and is a weapon

D played poorly in my opinion. Bertagnole zero tackles? Has that ever happened? Godbout two tackles? They were getting little pressure and penetration up the middle. Those two need to play better next week if we’re going to have a chance. Harsh and Siders went down, so that explains some of the lack of quality D line play. Westland and Sjogren got some action and got some experience under their belts. It was bad, though. Rushing four we never got close to a sack. The QBs had all day unless we blitzed a safety. Good job by Eckler today to get home and just punish the QB. Bet the qb has rib issues today. Taylor played well except for the penalties. He was on an island and did well until the penalties. Imo, he needs to not talk so much poop and just play measured, assertive football. At times too emotional, but he’s a great player who had a few bad plays.

D needs to play better for us to have a shot the next two weeks. O needs to convert more third downs and I like our chances. Hopefully we’ve been holding some stuff back play-wise and unleash it on Fresno
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:10 am Waylee is incredible. Strong, quick, fast, powerful and possesses excellent vision. He’s averaging like 8 yards per carry. It seems like he’s a threat to go for 6 whenever he touches it. Crazy thing is the longs runs come from seemingly nothing, where he runs by 11 guys.

Peasley played better. Got to give credit, but there is still room for improvement. The one area is third downs. What is it with us and third downs on offense and defense. Ball games are often won on third downs, but can be offset by big plays and we got some on O but gave up way too many on D. Asante is fast and is a weapon

D played poorly in my opinion. Bertagnole zero tackles? Has that ever happened? Godbout two tackles? They were getting little pressure and penetration up the middle. Those two need to play better next week if we’re going to have a chance. Harsh and Siders went down, so that explains some of the lack of quality D line play. Westland and Sjogren got some action and got some experience under their belts. It was bad, though. Rushing four we never got close to a sack. The QBs had all day unless we blitzed a safety. Good job by Eckler today to get home and just punish the QB. Bet the qb has rib issues today. Taylor played well except for the penalties. He was on an island and did well until the penalties. Imo, he needs to not talk so much poop and just play measured, assertive football. At times too emotional, but he’s a great player who had a few bad plays.

D needs to play better for us to have a shot the next two weeks. O needs to convert more third downs and I like our chances. Hopefully we’ve been holding some stuff back play-wise and unleash it on Fresno
As I’ve said before, Waylee is the most talented RB that I’ve ever seen lace it up for the Wyoming cowboys.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:42 am
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:10 am Waylee is incredible. Strong, quick, fast, powerful and possesses excellent vision. He’s averaging like 8 yards per carry. It seems like he’s a threat to go for 6 whenever he touches it. Crazy thing is the longs runs come from seemingly nothing, where he runs by 11 guys.

As I’ve said before, Waylee is the most talented RB that I’ve ever seen lace it up for the Wyoming cowboys.
Sure am glad he’s in B&G.

The World needs more Cowboys. And, it sux to be, a CSewe goat….I said it…….
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

I still think the defense is fine. We’re averaging almost 3 fgs per game. At least one of those needs to be turned to a TD. Of course that’s related to 3rd down conversions, which have been pathetic. Offense is close to being mediocre.
W-Y, Until I Die!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:58 pm I still think the defense is fine. We’re averaging almost 3 fgs per game. At least one of those needs to be turned to a TD. Of course that’s related to 3rd down conversions, which have been pathetic. Offense is close to being mediocre.
Waylee basically won the game for Wyoming against New Mexico with 2 big runs. I would love to see him used more in the passing game as he always seems to avoid the first would -be tackler.
When you consider that no one is scared of Wyoming's passing game you know that he and offensive line are facing stacked boxes nearly every down.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

doreno5 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:56 pm
laxwyo wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:58 pm I still think the defense is fine. We’re averaging almost 3 fgs per game. At least one of those needs to be turned to a TD. Of course that’s related to 3rd down conversions, which have been pathetic. Offense is close to being mediocre.
Waylee basically won the game for Wyoming against New Mexico with 2 big runs. I would love to see him used more in the passing game as he always seems to avoid the first would -be tackler.
When you consider that no one is scared of Wyoming's passing game you know that he and offensive line are facing stacked boxes nearly every down.
Partly why Waylee is getting these long runs. Opponents are stacking the box and bringing the safeties up to stop the run so when Waylee gets to the second level there is no one left to beat.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

I’m not sure of the source, a poster on Facebook says Waylee has a fractured leg. Anyone hearing anything substantive?
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:49 am I’m not sure of the source, a poster on Facebook says Waylee has a fractured leg. Anyone hearing anything substantive?
We'll find out this afternoon, most likely, straight from Bohl's mouth.

I will say he [Waylee] is pretty consistently active on Twitter/X, and he's been radio silent...which may or may not bode well.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Bohl said Waylee is ‘day to day’. That is much better news than I expected.
cowpokeguy
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:47 pm Bohl said Waylee is ‘day to day’. That is much better news than I expected.
I feel like Bohl would say this no matter what. He thinks he's clever with these games (remember saying Peasley was fine before the Texas game?) I hope Waylee plays, of course, but I don't expect it.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

cowpokeguy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:54 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:47 pm Bohl said Waylee is ‘day to day’. That is much better news than I expected.
I feel like Bohl would say this no matter what. He thinks he's clever with these games (remember saying Peasley was fine before the Texas game?) I hope Waylee plays, of course, but I don't expect it.
My thoughts as well. Good to hear Harsh will be back. He’ll be nice to have back against AFA.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:49 am I’m not sure of the source, a poster on Facebook says Waylee has a fractured leg. Anyone hearing anything substantive?
Not going to put much stock into what a rando on facebook has to say, personally.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:25 pm
Not going to put much stock into what a rando on facebook has to say, personally.
I hope beyond hope he’s healthy. Watching the play, and how Waylee walked off the field, I’ll be more surprised to see him play than to see him not in pads.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:39 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:25 pm

I hope beyond hope he’s healthy. Watching the play, and how Waylee walked off the field, I’ll be more surprised to see him play than to see him not in pads.
Sorry to agree .He is special.

For the life of me I still do not understand why he was carrying the ball on that play. It was 3rd and short inside the 35 yardline. Bohl had already made up his mind to try a field goal and ran an inside run to set it up instead of trying to run outside or a quick pass to pick up the 2 or 3 yards for the first down. Scott is 230lbs. and Svboda 240+ run them if your idea is to see if you can pound it for the first. The call should have been faking the ball to Waylee who was drawing all the attention and either qb run or quick pass. Just playing to get the field goal and not the first down. Dumb.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Svoboda threw a nice pass to Welch. I don't think I realized that was him. I think Svoboda will be a good one
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:07 pm Svoboda threw a nice pass to Welch. I don't think I realized that was him. I think Svoboda will be a good one
I've liked all his throws when he has been in the game. I haven't seen any wounded ducks
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Sounds like Waylee will be back for Boise
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:03 pm Sounds like Waylee will be back for Boise
Good news. Need a convincing win against Boise. They’re going to be as motivated as us with that loss at goat U.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

This is big. Scott does well for what/who he is, and comes in clutch at times....and I think he'll be great for our program if he sticks around. But Waylee is obviously a dude on a whole other level, a completely different style of runner, and would've been the X factor against AFA.

I do wonder if his injury history is going to cost him a shot at the NFL. RBs already have such a short shelf-life, and multiple knee/leg surgeries and injuries may give teams pause. It'd be an absolute shame; not only is he a next-level back but from all accounts he's a great locker room guy too.

Anyway, he will definitely be needed against BSU, CSU, and UNLV. I'm not quite sure we have to horses to run the table without him.