10/7 vs. Fresno State

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Fresno is coming in red hot. Wyoming has limped through 5 games, without a complete one (yes, including Texas Tech). There seems to always be one of the three elements missing, if not two. I believe this Saturday, will tell us a lot about our Pokes. Is Bohl a good enough coach / motivator to get this team up to play? I am on the fence with that, and don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about the game. Your thoughts Wyonation?

:popcorn:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

I'll be in attendance but I'm not terribly confident. Fresno seems very good but I'm sure that die-hard bulldog fans and people more knowledgeable than me know they have their warts. The shortcomings of the pokes this year seem huge but 4-1 sort of flies in the face of that. What team shows up for the pokes? The one that finished the last three quarters of the Tech through the first three quarters of the Texas game? If that is the case then I am hopeful if not optimistic.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:19 am Fresno is coming in red hot. Wyoming has limped through 5 games, without a complete one (yes, including Texas Tech). There seems to always be one of the three elements missing, if not two. I believe this Saturday, will tell us a lot about our Pokes. Is Bohl a good enough coach / motivator to get this team up to play? I am on the fence with that, and don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about the game. Your thoughts Wyonation?

At what point is it all on the coach to have players ready to play? I think the coaches can be blamed for preparation as far as a game plan, offensive scheme, which I blame Bohl historically. I think the players will be up for this game. I hope Peasley can execute, and a complimentary offensive game plan. I hope we see an offense not so predictable. I have less concern of the D front. I do have concern of the secondary. Wrook Brown will make some plays, among others. Turnovers in our favor will be key. Special teams will likely be key.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Even when WYO offense has been ""adequate", they are mostly dysfunctional in terms of actual production and rely heavily on a big play here or there. If a big play or two doesn't happen, scoring will be capped in the teens.

D started great but something happened. I'm worried 3 games on tape revealed some glaring problems that both Appy State and UNM pounced on. Can POKES' D get their mojo back?

1 game at a time and this is a big one. At some point Bohl needs to show he can win these types of games. With Bohl's track record and the problems we've seen this season so far, I'm hopeful but not optimistic.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

Sounds like the Pokes, players and coaches, should be highly motivated

https://7220sports.com/wyoming-players- ... inst-dogs/
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:19 am Fresno is coming in red hot. Wyoming has limped through 5 games, without a complete one (yes, including Texas Tech). There seems to always be one of the three elements missing, if not two. I believe this Saturday, will tell us a lot about our Pokes. Is Bohl a good enough coach / motivator to get this team up to play? I am on the fence with that, and don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about the game. Your thoughts Wyonation?

Pump the brakes on Fresno. I think they're a good team, but they haven't played anyone yet. Their best win is a close one against a 2-3 Purdue team. Then they had to go to overtime to beat a below average FCS Eastern Washington at home. The last 3 were against some of the worst teams in college football. Arizona State stinks bad this year, Kent is probably THE worst team, and Nevada is the very bottom of the MW. I'm not buying the hype yet.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Reading the Fresno message board, unlike the ewe board, Fresno fans are giving the Pokes some respect. Many believe this and AFA may be their toughest games of the season. I think they are right.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

Since I never pick the Pokes to lose, let's say 28-25 Pokes with a special teams or defensive TD getting us over the top. We will be out gained, but it won't matter... somehow.

From the article posted above, we haven't scored on them in like 11 quarters. How is that possible! Holy poop they've owned us. We NEED to get some sort of payback.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:55 am Since I never pick the Pokes to lose, let's say 28-25 Pokes with a special teams or defensive TD getting us over the top. We will out gained, but it won't matter... somehow.

From the article posted above, we haven't scored on them in like 11 quarters. How is that possible! Holy poop they've owned us. We NEED to get some sort of payback.
Let this be the year.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

flyfishwyo wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:42 am

Pump the brakes on Fresno. I think they're a good team, but they haven't played anyone yet. Their best win is a close one against a 2-3 Purdue team. Then they had to go to overtime to beat a below average FCS Eastern Washington at home. The last 3 were against some of the worst teams in college football. Arizona State stinks bad this year, Kent is probably THE worst team, and Nevada is the very bottom of the MW. I'm not buying the hype yet.
The voters have been wrong before, but 5 - 0 is still 5 - 0, and worthy of a top 25 ranking. WYO on the other hand, has not put a complete game together yet.
Dear Karma,

flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:45 pm

The voters have been wrong before, but 5 - 0 is still 5 - 0, and worthy of a top 25 ranking. WYO on the other hand, has not put a complete game together yet.
I think UW would be 5-0 against Fresno's schedule. And Fresno would be 4-1 against ours. Both good teams and we'll see who's better.
MN_Poke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 24 times

You mean those same voters who got caught up in CUs smoke and mirrors start and had them in the top 20 for a few weeks?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

MN_Poke wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:55 pm

You mean those same voters who got caught up in CUs smoke and mirrors start and had them in the top 20 for a few weeks?
Yes, those same ones. CU did beat what was to be believed a decent TCU team (away), as well as Knebraska and the Sheep to start 3 & 0 - so I would've agreed with that ranking. After being exposed at Oregon (in a different class than CU right now), and putting up a good effort against USC, we will now see them rattle off 3 wins to get to 6 & 2, before Oregon State pounds them. But I digress, and really don't care about CU.
Dear Karma,

J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

toadlife
Buckaroo

Hello all,

Fresno State fan here. I think this will be a very tough test for the Bulldogs. I don't know about the Bulldogs being "red hot". Ther defense has been outstanding, while the offense has been very inconsistent. Looking forward to the game!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

toadlife wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:20 pm Hello all,

Fresno State fan here. I think this will be a very tough test for the Bulldogs. I don't know about the Bulldogs being "red hot". Ther defense has been outstanding, while the offense has been very inconsistent. Looking forward to the game!
Hope for an injury free, very competitive game. I like our chances, but nothing would surprise me.
Dear Karma,

Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:51 pm
toadlife wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:20 pm Hello all,

Hope for an injury free, very competitive game. I like our chances, but nothing would surprise me.
Same here. Nothing ever surprises me!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Wyoming this year plays to the level of their competition. This is Bohls best team since he has been here in my opinion. The defense overall is by far the best. The defense was off last week for some reason. Should be ready this week.

Fresno doesn’t worry me at all. At home Wyoming should win this game. This will probably be Wyomings 3rd toughest game of the year so far at this point. Texas is FAR better than Fresno is and Texas Tech is still better than Fresno in my opinion. Think Fresno is more like Appalachian St. Appalachian St didn’t score an offensive TD against us. Like I said when that game happened it was closer than it should have been because Wyoming was not as up for it because they played Texas the week before and threw everything they had at it, tough to get up again the week after a game like that.

Texas Tech didn’t score an offensive TD against us from the 2nd qtr. until the end of regulation. They got their first 10 points because the offense turned the ball over deep in our own territory.

Texas only had 10 points against us starting the 4th qtr. before they broke a long run and then got a pick six.

So all I can think is that the Wyoming defense was flat last week against a team like New Mexico who we should usually handle better than we did. The defense should be ready this week. I also think the Wyoming offense was flat against App St because we had to play Texas the week before. Don’t think they will be flat at all this week.

My point to all of this is …..
As long as the offense doesn’t turn the ball over deep in our own territory like we did to start the game against Texas Tech, I think Fresno will have a tough time getting into the end zone against us the whole game.

They will have to at best settle for FG’s like App St. did. Think Wyomings offense will be a lot better this game than they were against App St. If Wyoming can control the clock and run on Texas in Austin they can easily do that to Fresno playing in Laramie. That scoreless streak will get broken early in the game and think Wyoming wins this game easier than most do. Wyoming has extra motivation for this game.

Think Wyoming will have a lot tougher time next weekend down at AFA.
They play the game on Saturday so I guess we will see if I know what I’m talking about or not with this one.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:38 am Wyoming this year plays to the level of their competition. This is Bohls best team since he has been here in my opinion. The defense overall is by far the best. The defense was off last week for some reason. Should be ready this week.

Fresno doesn’t worry me at all. At home Wyoming should win this game. This will probably be Wyomings 3rd toughest game of the year so far at this point. Texas is FAR better than Fresno is and Texas Tech is still better than Fresno in my opinion. Think Fresno is more like Appalachian St. Appalachian St didn’t score an offensive TD against us. Like I said when that game happened it was closer than it should have been because Wyoming was not as up for it because they played Texas the week before and threw everything they had at it, tough to get up again the week after a game like that.

Texas Tech didn’t score an offensive TD against us from the 2nd qtr. until the end of regulation. They got their first 10 points because the offense turned the ball over deep in our own territory.

Texas only had 10 points against us starting the 4th qtr. before they broke a long run and then got a pick six.

So all I can think is that the Wyoming defense was flat last week against a team like New Mexico who we should usually handle better than we did. The defense should be ready this week. I also think the Wyoming offense was flat against App St because we had to play Texas the week before. Don’t think they will be flat at all this week.

My point to all of this is …..
As long as the offense doesn’t turn the ball over deep in our own territory like we did to start the game against Texas Tech, I think Fresno will have a tough time getting into the end zone against us the whole game.

They will have to at best settle for FG’s like App St. did. Think Wyomings offense will be a lot better this game than they were against App St. If Wyoming can control the clock and run on Texas in Austin they can easily do that to Fresno playing in Laramie. That scoreless streak will get broken early in the game and think Wyoming wins this game easier than most do. Wyoming has extra motivation for this game.

Think Wyoming will have a lot tougher time next weekend down at AFA.
They play the game on Saturday so I guess we will see if I know what I’m talking about or not with this one.
This is all legitimate reasons to be optimistic as a cowboys fan.... Or have concern as a Fresno fan.

I believe that there are a ton of things that should worry pokes fans as well. I'm taking an extremely cautious optimism into this game. I really don't have a good feel for this one.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

Weather is looking really nice for October in Laramie. High of 67 with low winds.

I'll be bringing four down from Sheridan. Excited!