Non-WYO Bowl Season

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

FL State better beat Georgia before they talk too much. I think Georgia is gong to destroy them. If they beat Georgia, they can complain all off-season.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Whew, this is a hot take...considering that 95% of the CFB world at large is up in arms about it right now. I've never seen so many neutrals rally behind the cause of a team they otherwise wouldn't give two sh*ts about. Lol.

You really don't think FSU has even just a little right to complain?

The CFP committee just put the lie to the "win and you're in" mantra that they've railed about for years.

Imagine going 13-0, being a P5 conference champion, and beating two SEC teams....and being snubbed in favor of an SEC (a conference which had a down year and a losing OoC record against P5s) team with a loss because it's the almighty "SEC". Like what? That doesn't even track.

If it's a predictive ranking because of concerns about the QB situation, that's a farce because we all watched OSU pull a natty out of their ass with a third-stringer. Plus it sets a bad precedent and opens the door for teams to lie about, fake, or otherwise use injuries to manipulate rankings and bowl placement.

If it's truly about SoS, then why the f*ck is Liberty playing in a NY6 instead of SMU? Liberty has one of the worst SoS's in the entire country. 2/3 of Oregon is going to be riding pine because Liberty is an absolute joke and it's not worth the risk to any of the players.

And let's face it, Alabama's SoS is only so high because they played Texas. (And lost.)

There's no justification for it based on any criteria previously set forth by the committee themselves, and it doesn't even jive with how they ranked other teams here.

It's 100% about getting the matchups, viewership, and $$$ that they want, and catering to what is quickly becoming a P2+"everyone else". It's a slap in the face to a program that scheduled decently OoC, took care of business, etc., and to a bunch of seniors who won't ever get a shot at a natty because of pure politics and human logical inconsistency.

The problem everyone has here is the inconsistency and baked-in conference biases.

Is FSU going to get demolished by UGA? Probably. But you're missing the entire point in that there's a systemic problem here, driven purely by money. It'd tick me off too. And being upset about it isn't even remotely the same thing as "talking sh*t".

If I'm FSU, why do I even bother trying to schedule anything other than FCS and MAC cupcakes from here on out, ya know? Not to mention I'm calling every lawyer I know to figure out a way to break the ACC GOR right now.
Last edited by DamThatRiver22 on Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

They will have zero motivation to play this game. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they even agreed to play it. I'd refuse to play it and declared myself as national champion after Alabama wins the college football playoff and ensures FSU is the only undefeated team after Oregon beats Liberty by 50.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

They have every right to be angry. They have every right to complain. I would be crazy mad if FSU was my team.

That said, without Travis, they weren't one of the 4 best teams in the nation at the end of the year. Their defense is top tier - no doubt. But their offense was...whatever is slightly uglier than abysmal. They are Iowa - and would have experienced the same fate as Iowa against Michigan. And, at least based on what I have read (FWIW), FSU and the ACC were among the biggest opponents of moving to a 12-team playoff this year. If they hadn't been, they would be in.

FSU and other P5 teams have benefitted from an exclusive cartel for years. BCS, Playoff...whatever. The only problem with being in a cartel, is that when the kingpin (SEC and ESPN) wants to take you out, he can and does. Cartels are fun when they give you money, hookers, and blow. They are not so fun when you get pistol-whipped by a stronger member. FSU lived by the sword when they strong-armed West Virginia out some years back. Did the same to Miami another year if I recall correctly. Now, they die by that same sword. Tough business for sure.

I feel for the players - but can't disagree with the outcome.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

This situation is the ultimate college football rorschach test. A majority of fans seem to fall into the category of enjoying the rivalries, pageantry, and history of the sport with all of it's weirdness. If that is you....you hate what happened to FSU. The networks, big time programs, and some fans seem to want to turn college football into an "amateur" NFL....if that is you...this was the right move.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 239 times

I think FSU should have gotten in. If Georgia wanted in they should have won their conference!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Both Florida State and Liberty should claim a National Championship if they win. UCF did! This will likely be the last year an undefeated team will be left out.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

For the record, I think an undefeated team should have been in over a 1 loss team. G5 team isn't getting in; is what it is.

I'm only saying that I think Georgia is going to crush FSU. When that happens the committee and many will say told you so.

If I'm FSU, I grumble now but go all out if I beat Georgia. Making a huge stink now and getting smacked by Georgia isn't the best look.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:22 am They will have zero motivation to play this game. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they even agreed to play it.
I'd say they are highly motivated to play. They have a chance to show just how wrong it was to leave them out. If they aren't motivated, they have no pride. This is their us against "the unjust system".
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:02 am
SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:22 am They will have zero motivation to play this game. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they even agreed to play it.
I'd say they are highly motivated to play. They have a chance to show just how wrong it was to leave them out. If they aren't motivated, they have no pride. This is their us against "the unjust system".
Georgia might be unmotivated and not at full strength. I bet more than few of their best players sit out to avoid possible injury leading to the draft.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Conspiracy theory here but...I just wonder if ESPN/SEC told the committee to leave Florida State out just to get them to join the SEC far sooner than later. :whistle:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

Interesting tidbit here that also brings the hammer down on some of the arguments against including FSU (including the "wElL tHeY dOn'T hAvE tHiEr qB"):

Out of the top 10 players in college football from championship weekend (as graded by PFF)....four were FSU players.

Their QB, obviously, wasn't one of those.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

I feel for the rest of the FSU team. That defense is one of the saltier ones that I've seen and the committee not giving the rest of the team a shot to prove themselves shows it's all about ratings and not the actual teams. I think both Bama and Georgia have played in the playoffs with their #2 qb in the past. The other hogwash is putting Liberty in the NY6 because "they kept winning" against the 133rd ranked SOS.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

GoPokes86 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:26 am The other hogwash is putting Liberty in the NY6 because "they kept winning" against the 133rd ranked SOS.
Pisses me off more than the FSU situation, tbh.

Clown school (don't get me started, lol) plays a clown schedule, and is now going to go get demolished by 40 by Oregon's 3rd stringers...just so everyone can say "well that's why we don't take the G5 seriously and give them opportunities" in some stupid self-fulfilling prophecy.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Regardless of opt outs, I'll bet the fsu noise quiets down.