Fresno St game thread

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

I forgot DuSell went to Fresno. Send him back to Cali with a loss.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

We can’t even make a layup.

Sigh………
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:31 pm We can’t even make a layup.

Sigh………
Been that way all year. We can't score at the basket in traffic. We also have a terrible transition defense...primarily due to lack of effort.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

NICE, another Kot buzr beater. Enjoy the ride home XD.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Glad we got this win!! Unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be many wins left on the schedule.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:23 pm Glad we got this win!! Unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be many wins left on the schedule.
Hopefully we can get the W at home against Air Force. That’s probably the only game we will be favored in for the rest of the year.

Getting beat because you don’t have the horses is one thing. It’s frustrating, but I can live with that. But there are some pretty basic basketball things this team is not doing and it makes them hard to get behind. We give very poor effort to get back on defense after a missed basket or live ball turnover. There was a point in the first half of the game where a Fresno player took it straight to the hoop for a layup on a fast break even though we had three defenders back. The defender closest to him actually seemed to slow up to let him by so that he could attempt to block it from behind…which didn’t work. As far as I could tell on TV, Linder didn’t have a damn thing to say about it. If yelling at a player for poor effort is ‘not being a players coach’ these days, then I honestly don’t know what to say.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Kot!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Nice win, Pokes
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

The past two games I started watching and became so frustrated with their play that I stopped watching. So apparently for Cowboy success I should not be allowed to watch the whole game.
ReecesRiver
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

BIG SHOT KOT!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

The team showed resilience and the ability to lock down and defend when they need to do so. Kot clearly has ice in his veins when they need a shot. That said, we are a crummy team. We needed a buzzer beater to beat a poor Fresno team at home. Our fundamentals are terrible. We are lazy. We lose focus. We turn the ball over way too much. We struggle to get the ball into the frontcourt if there is even slight pressure. We are undisciplined. Situational basketball IQ, outside of the last second shot sequence, is wholly lacking. We have no true point.

I get that we are a young team that is patchwork in the talent department, but we are halfway through the season and are still making the same dumb mistakes we were in Game 1. While I may disagree with certain foul calls, the reality is that if you are in the first half and have 2 fouls, you have to change how you guard. Powell and Walters seem to double down for some stupid reason and render themselves useless until the second half, and by then, the game is usually too far gone.

Linder may be a basketball genius, but he apparently struggles to teach his brilliance and have it stick. He may be better suited to be an assistant in the NBA, SEC or BIG. His ego won't allow it, but that is where he belongs with the current state of NCAA basketball, NIL and the porthole.