I'm curious

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Does nil and all those external factors matter in bball? Why aren't bball and football standings more consistent if so? Usu is eclipsing us in external factors? Are they paying up?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:13 pm Does nil and all those external factors matter in bball? Why aren't bball and football standings more consistent if so? Usu is eclipsing us in external factors? Are they paying up?
They would have to matter. The problem is that NIL is not constrained to any sort of regulation. An NIL collective can specifically target offensive linemen (like the Texas one)....in that situation....no matter how big that NIL group is, it won't draw any basketball talent since they would not benefit.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:56 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:13 pm Does nil and all those external factors matter in bball? Why aren't bball and football standings more consistent if so? Usu is eclipsing us in external factors? Are they paying up?
They would have to matter. The problem is that NIL is not constrained to any sort of regulation. An NIL collective can specifically target offensive linemen (like the Texas one)....in that situation....no matter how big that NIL group is, it won't draw any basketball talent since they would not benefit.
So usu and csu are paying up in bball? Is usu outspending the other schools?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Does NIL matter? Do you think we would be better if we had Graham Ike? Come on man.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:05 am
Does NIL matter? Do you think we would be better if we had Graham Ike? Come on man.
So is csu and usu spending a lot in bball but not football to gain competitive advantage over schools like us?
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:26 am
307bball wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:56 am

Maybe, but I doubt it. They are just two good teams in a conference that does not have a large amount of basketball NIL possibilities outside of maybe SDSU. If UNLV gets something going they could rule the MWC pretty easily I would imagine.

I'm not an expert on where the NIL money is...but my sense is that the MWC doesn't have a ton outside of Boise/Fresno/SDSU and maybe UNLV. And most of that money is probably going to football talent. I don't think the MWC bball results are a representative (yet) of how much basketball NIL possibilities are at each school....I do think the MWC is getting their high end talent poached by other big time programs though. Just look at Graham Ike...he's averaging 15 and 8 for the Zags. He would be a first team MWC player no problem.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:26 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:05 am

So is csu and usu spending a lot in bball but not football to gain competitive advantage over schools like us?
This is just bad faith conversation. CSU and USU have a good thing going in bball right now. I don't think it's due to NIL money but I could be wrong. The vast majority of the MWC bball programs do not have a ton of NIL possibilities so it's not having a big effect within the conference except that the standout players are leaving the conference to go to where there are large NIL possibilities.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:30 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:26 am

Maybe, but I doubt it. They are just two good teams in a conference that does not have a large amount of basketball NIL possibilities outside of maybe SDSU. If UNLV gets something going they could rule the MWC pretty easily I would imagine.

I'm not an expert on where the NIL money is...but my sense is that the MWC doesn't have a ton outside of Boise/Fresno/SDSU and maybe UNLV. And most of that money is probably going to football talent. I don't think the MWC bball results are a representative (yet) of how much basketball NIL possibilities are at each school....I do think the MWC is getting their high end talent poached by other big time programs though. Just look at Graham Ike...he's averaging 15 and 8 for the Zags. He would be a first team MWC player no problem.
Thank you. That answers my question as I don't follow bball as closely.

If external factors aren't as much of an influence, does Burman bear any responsibility for the relative lack of success or does he get a pass here as well?
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:35 am
307bball wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:30 am

Thank you. That answers my question as I don't follow bball as closely.

If external factors aren't as much of an influence, does Burman bear any responsibility for the relative lack of success or does he get a pass here as well?
Wyoming's basketball program has been really meh for a very long time. Sustained success seems completely out of our reach. If it's Burman's fault ... it's primarily because he is not hiring or retaining the right guys. Is that the case? I think you could convince me it is the case....though the hiring of Linder is still considered to be a good hire. Edwards was bad the moment it was announced. Schroyer was too.

I know there is a large administrative role that the AD plays but does that affect winning? Outside of hiring and firing coaches....what is an AD supposed to do to influence competitive outcomes? What is the reason not to have the quickest trigger in the land with firing coaches who aren't in the top 2 of the conference by year 2? ... or at the most year 3?