Pokes v. Tecs

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:03 am
WYO1016 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:40 am The 2 big problems, as many have stated, are turnovers and finishing at the rim. I think both of those can be attributed to having such a young team and having players that aren't used to the speed of the MW. The team is definitely getting better as the year goes on. Saturday should be a fun one.
Young team?? We start 4 seniors who get the lion’s share of minutes.
Also included players who aren't used to the speed of the MW.

Griffin is a senior, but was a Tulsa player the past 2 years. They were bad, but he was clearly the best player on the team. They also play in CUSA, which is a pretty weak conference for roundball. One of 2 players on the team that plays major minutes and has a positive assist to turnover ratio.

Kot is a senior, but was a D2 player until this year. San Diego State, Boise State, and New Mexico are leaps and bounds tougher than South Dakota School of Mines, Southeastern Oklahoma State, and New Mexico Highlands.

Walters is a senior, but the competition in the NAIA and D1 is such a large gap it's barely the same game.

Wenzel is a senior, but he's a role player, not a star. There's also no way he should be handling the ball on a regular basis. He's the other player playing major minutes with a positive A/T ratio.

Between Kot and Wenzel the three most turnover prone players are Powell, Kojenets, and Manyawu. 2 sophomores with limited expierience their first years and a freshman.

This is a piecemeal team that is improving each game, but is still pretty rough. Kot, Griffin, and Walters were brought in to be band-aids to get us through this season rather than building blocks. I am a bit concerned that our young guards aren't seeing more time, but we don't have the luxury of redshirting as much as we probably need to this season.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:03 am
WYO1016 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:40 am The 2 big problems, as many have stated, are turnovers and finishing at the rim. I think both of those can be attributed to having such a young team and having players that aren't used to the speed of the MW. The team is definitely getting better as the year goes on. Saturday should be a fun one.
Young team?? We start 4 seniors who get the lion’s share of minutes.
yup. This is what is depressing. I would be super enthusiastic about things if this were freshmen accomplishing this. We are going to be back at square one next year.