Crum and Gibbs to NFL Combine

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Huge accomplishment for both. Couldn’t happen to two better representatives of UW. Congrats Frank and Easton
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

For all my complaining about Bohl, I have to acknowledge he was great at spotting underdeveloped talent and getting the best out of the those players.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

doreno5 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:37 am For all my complaining about Bohl, I have to acknowledge he was great at spotting underdeveloped talent and getting the best out of the those players.
True. Looking back…
McPeachy wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:16 pm
"Frank The Tank". Ya, in it's purest sense. As in, "let's all go streaking in the quad", will certainly be the highlight of his time at UW, and his highest accomplishment. From what I read, the kid wasn't even mentioned in the top of Wyoming HS athletes, not even all-state...second team, not O or D POY, nothing. I wish him all the luck in the world, but this one puzzles me...and should any of you, if you watched ANY Wyoming high school football.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:58 am
doreno5 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:37 am For all my complaining about Bohl, I have to acknowledge he was great at spotting underdeveloped talent and getting the best out of the those players.
True.

There was even a poster on here who claimed Crum would
never see the field and it was a waste of a scholly when he signed.
Not me. I saw the kid play basketball and throw the shot in HS. The athleticism was obvious. If he ever grew into his body he would be legit. And he is
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:04 am

True.

Not me. I saw the kid play basketball and throw the shot in HS. The athleticism was obvious. If he ever grew into his body he would be legit. And he is
I suppose this was an endorsement of the signing?

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:39 pm
I had heard around my office that UW was offering a Laramie kid and I was about to go to Eric Worden and congratulate him on his son (Garret, heck of a player, borderline D-1 kid) getting a scholly. Never got around to it and it came out that Crum got the scholly. Ha! Gary Crum is a GREAT guy and great supporter of the Pokes. If this scholly is a thank you for his dad so be it.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:16 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:04 am Not me. I saw the kid play basketball and throw the shot in HS. The athleticism was obvious. If he ever grew into his body he would be legit. And he is
I suppose this was an endorsement of the signing?

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:39 pm
I had heard around my office that UW was offering a Laramie kid and I was about to go to Eric Worden and congratulate him on his son (Garret, heck of a player, borderline D-1 kid) getting a scholly. Never got around to it and it came out that Crum got the scholly. Ha! Gary Crum is a GREAT guy and great supporter of the Pokes. If this scholly is a thank you for his dad so be it.
I wrote that?? :rofl: :oops: got me :thumb:
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

True. Looking back…
McPeachy wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:16 pm
"Frank The Tank". Ya, in it's purest sense. As in, "let's all go streaking in the quad", will certainly be the highlight of his time at UW, and his highest accomplishment. From what I read, the kid wasn't even mentioned in the top of Wyoming HS athletes, not even all-state...second team, not O or D POY, nothing. I wish him all the luck in the world, but this one puzzles me...and should any of you, if you watched ANY Wyoming high school football.
Nice dig up. Well played. I really enjoyed watching him develop. Frank wasn't our best starting lineman at any point in his career at Wyoming. He was the most loyal though, and likely the hardest working. Hats off to him - he made it happen, and worked for it.

*It still puzzles me that he wasn't at top 25 athlete in the state of WY - and Bohl gave him a full ride (while not even sniffing the others). He was a goofy, lanky, soft, slow, lineman, for an awful HS team. Frank earned it all by his work ethic at UW.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:04 am

True.

I love the "I told you so" dialogue in this thread...TIC. I mean really, what is the point, just to resemble an asshole? Maybe to resemble an asshole, and stroke yourself at the same time? Maybe to resemble an asshole, stroke yourself, and show everyone on Wyonation how smart and great you are? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. :thumbdown:
Dear Karma,

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:06 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:04 am Not me. I saw the kid play basketball and throw the shot in HS. The athleticism was obvious. If he ever grew into his body he would be legit. And he is
I love the "I told you so" dialogue in this thread...TIC. I mean really, what is the point, just to resemble an asshole? Maybe to resemble an asshole, and stroke yourself at the same time? Maybe to resemble an asshole, stroke yourself, and show everyone on Wyonation how smart and great you are? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. :thumbdown:
I am a little confused if this directed at me? I am guessing not. I didn’t know anything about Frank Crum before he signed. I just really enjoyed looking back at the thoughts of those who knew who he was at the time. At the time, I didn’t see anyone supporting the signing as good for the football team. LanderPoke clearly didn’t believe so because he thought some other Laramie player (also who I’ve never heard of) had a D1 shot and attributed the signing to a thank you to Frank’s dad. I find it a compelling case for Bohl and staff seriously recognizing under recruited potential and then developing it. (Josh Allen, Logan Wilson, Marcus Epps, Frank Crum, Jordan Bertagnole, the list goes on and on, etc..)
Cowpoke99
Buckaroo
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

??
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Cowpoke99 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:56 am

??
Aimed at the I told you so crowd...never been a fan of that mantra.
Dear Karma,

LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

Crum did not have a great game against Toledo. He will need to improve a lot to make it in the NFL IMHO.

Gibbs is a good player. I think he could have used another year in Laramie - he sort of disappeared at times. I'd guess he would be a good backup in the League.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:22 am

I am a little confused if this directed at me? I am guessing not. I didn’t know anything about Frank Crum before he signed. I just really enjoyed looking back at the thoughts of those who knew who he was at the time. At the time, I didn’t see anyone supporting the signing as good for the football team. LanderPoke clearly didn’t believe so because he thought some other Laramie player (also who I’ve never heard of) had a D1 shot and attributed the signing to a thank you to Frank’s dad. I find it a compelling case for Bohl and staff seriously recognizing under recruited potential and then developing it. (Josh Allen, Logan Wilson, Marcus Epps, Frank Crum, Jordan Bertagnole, the list goes on and on, etc..)
I watched Frank play starting with little guy football all the way through high school. I was never impressed with his work ethic, and didn't think he had a football mind set. Just to be clear, that's not a negative comment on who he was as a person. He seemed like a nice kid. Anyway, at some point in college it seems like his work ethic changed. It's been great to see him grow and improve. Some of the credit for that goes to the coaching staff. They saw something in him that I didn't and invested in him (he had the physical attributes). But really, Frank took advantage of an opportunity and put in the work.

FYI, Garret Worden is playing at Carrol College. He took a year off football after HS and then joined the team at Carrol on scholarship. I just looked him up, and he'll be a Redshirt Senior next year. Seems like he's playing a decent amount.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

LawPoke wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:47 am Crum did not have a great game against Toledo. He will need to improve a lot to make it in the NFL IMHO.

Gibbs is a good player. I think he could have used another year in Laramie - he sort of disappeared at times. I'd guess he would be a good backup in the League.
Crum had great games against a couple of future NFL guys. Texas Tech, CSU, and maybe Fresno. He was solid against Texas, too. I assume he'd be more of a right tackle at the next level.

I agree on Gibbs. There were times when the middle was really soft against the run and I'd see him in the wrong spot. Not sure if that was the way the defense was called or he misread the play. Seems like he has the ability to be an NFL guy, but I'm obviously a homer. It surprises me that Muma doesn't see more time on the field.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Best of luck to both. I expect to see Gibbs land on a roster. Hope the same for Crum as a Wyoming kid, but I can't imagine the number of 6th year seniors who land on NFL rosters is very high. Although maybe climbing.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Gibbs and Crum made the rosters for the East-West Bowl and Hula Bowl respectively. It seems likely that they showed out during the pre-game practices/games enough to impress some of the scouts who go to those things enough that they received the combine invites. I understand the goal of the combine is basically to bring in all the players who are likely to be drafted to be evaluated.

Crum has the sheer size that they covet at the next level. Gibbs has good speed and enough size to play the hybrid safety/linebacker role that seems to be growing in popularity.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Eh, it's all good on my end. I'm bound to occasionally "say stupid poop" and "be wrong" a few times out of 11,000 posts on this message board.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

flyfishwyo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:14 pm
I watched Frank play starting with little guy football all the way through high school. I was never impressed with his work ethic, and didn't think he had a football mind set. Just to be clear, that's not a negative comment on who he was as a person. He seemed like a nice kid. Anyway, at some point in college it seems like his work ethic changed. It's been great to see him grow and improve. Some of the credit for that goes to the coaching staff. They saw something in him that I didn't and invested in him (he had the physical attributes). But really, Frank took advantage of an opportunity and put in the work.

FYI, Garret Worden is playing at Carrol College. He took a year off football after HS and then joined the team at Carrol on scholarship. I just looked him up, and he'll be a Redshirt Senior next year. Seems like he's playing a decent amount.
Good update on Garrett, thanks. His dad played for the Pokes too.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

I actually like the quotes being brought up about signings. If one thing is certain, there's lots of surprises.
W-Y, Until I Die!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

No, to answer your question, just in general. :thumb:
Dear Karma,