UNLV

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Might as well get a thread started.
Last edited by Itsux2beaewe on Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

UNLV?
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Just when I think we’ve turned a corner - Nope!

Turnovers - horrible when you can’t score.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

TheRealUW wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:56 pmUNLV?
Ugh, Brain fart. Thinking ahead to Tuesday. Fixed it.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

This sux!!
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

Really rough shooting night. I guess some regression back to the mean is to be expected after the last two above average shooting performances.

Any road win in the MWC is an achievement, but that was a pretty bad Air Force basketball team we beat in Colorado Springs. Winning in Vegas was always going to be an unlikely scenario.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Turnovers and 3pt shooting was the difference tonight. If they had made their average in 3s that would’ve been 18 more points, enough to win. Even worse was that UNLV scored 21 points off turnovers! Hit the threes or don’t turn it over so much and you win.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Not a good showing at all. Got killed
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

The entire team shot miserably but Kot was 0-8 from 3. Wenzel was not much better. It looked like UNLV was determined not to let Griffin get any open looks. Frankly, that would be my strategy against Wyoming. Make Kot and Wenzel beat you. And every time Walters got the ball, he was double teamed.
I would like to see more screens set for Griffin. He has to get open looks for us to win.

And when a defender comes off his man to double team Walters, shouldn't we have someone cutting to the hoop? Instead, everyone stands around the 3 point circle. I guess I'm too dumb to understand why we play the way we do.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

Our shot selection was terrible and we didn't get any penetration.

And the turnovers...ugh the turnovers.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

LawPoke wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:38 am Our shot selection was terrible and we didn't get any penetration.

I disagree with the shot selection. We were missing WIDE OPEN looks. The players were getting quality shots, just couldn't make them. I do agree that the lack of penetration is a problem. More of the same with turnovers, unfortunately.

If the shots fell anywhere near 40% this would have been a VERY different game. Sadly for us there was a lid on the basket and we couldn't get past it.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:37 am
LawPoke wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:38 am Our shot selection was terrible and we didn't get any penetration.

I disagree with the shot selection. We were missing WIDE OPEN looks. The players were getting quality shots, just couldn't make them. I do agree that the lack of penetration is a problem. More of the same with turnovers, unfortunately.

If the shots fell anywhere near 40% this would have been a VERY different game. Sadly for us there was a lid on the basket and we couldn't get past it.
We were getting the shots - for sure. My only point was that when they weren't falling, we didn't adjust to find closer and more make-able looks. We doubled down and went 0-fer in the beginning of the second half, sinking our chance at a win. At some point, if the lid is on the basket, you have to look for different shots. We didn't and got molested. There is a reason UNLV continued to leave us open from 3 - they knew we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and baited us to shoot from distance.

And when are we going to get the turnovers under control? Most were caused by sloppy play and were largely unforced. I can't see how we win more than 1 game in the MWC with our lack of discipline with the ball. We are over half way through the year and look like my kids' 8th grade C team dribbling and passing the ball.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

It's the Thomas & Mack say no more, we suck there, 20 straight losses, glad the tourney the mindset changes, somewhat