UW Block Grant Budget Amendment

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

From a distance, it looks as though the Wyoming legislature is poised to do away with the notion of a block grant for the university. This would mean that, in future budget cycles, the university would have to present its budget like any other agency, and be subject to line item approvals by the legislature. In other words, if the legislature does not like a program, including in athletics, or your favorite college, they can line item them out from future appropriations. Conversely, if the legislature wants to force the university to fund a particular arena of study, they can line item that in.
Last edited by LawPoke on Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

LawPoke wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:56 am From a distance, it looks as though the Wyoming legislature is poised to do away with the notion of a block grant for the university. This would mean that, in future budget cycles, the university would have to present its budget like any other agency, and be subject to line item approvals by the legislature. In other words, if the legislature does not like a program, including in athletics, or your favorite college, they can line item them out from future appropriations. Conversely, if the legislature wants to force the university to fund a particular arena of study, they can line item that in.
That's a damned scary proposition with this legislature. There's a significant sized faction that isn't thinking for themselves and votes en bloc for whatever they're told to vote for. You can bet that if there's a scary sounding article posted online somewhere, regardless of if it's true or not, there will be a knee-jerk reaction from that group of legislators that will significantly harm the University.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:43 pm
LawPoke wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:56 am From a distance, it looks as though the Wyoming legislature is poised to do away with the notion of a block grant for the university. This would mean that, in future budget cycles, the university would have to present its budget like any other agency, and be subject to line item approvals by the legislature. In other words, if the legislature does not like a program, including in athletics, or your favorite college, they can line item them out from future appropriations. Conversely, if the legislature wants to force the university to fund a particular arena of study, they can line item that in.
That's a damned scary proposition with this legislature. There's a significant sized faction that isn't thinking for themselves and votes en bloc for whatever they're told to vote for. You can bet that if there's a scary sounding article posted online somewhere, regardless of if it's true or not, there will be a knee-jerk reaction from that group of legislators that will significantly harm the University.
Reading between the lines, some of our legislators have decided they should control what is taught, who is hired/fired, what research is conducted and when/where/ what faculty and students are allowed to speak or think. Scary indeed.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

The senate has now apparently voted to defund Women's and Gender Studies programs. Not that I particularly understand how that degree leads to employment (and wouldn't recommend it) but you might as well cross off Wyoming as a State that says it supports freedom of speech and thought, and, for a State that has preached local control this sure as heck seems the opposite. The Equality State will apparently not fund gender studies courses.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:59 pm The senate has now apparently voted to defund Women's and Gender Studies programs. Not that I particularly understand how that degree leads to employment (and wouldn't recommend it) but you might as well cross off Wyoming as a State that says it supports freedom of speech and thought, and, for a State that has preached local control this sure as heck seems the opposite. The Equality State will apparently not fund gender studies courses.
Not only that, they can't use outside money to teach women's studies - or they lose state funding. So even if you had a huge donation to cover the cost of the program - it is still a no go. And if you think that this will stop at women's studies - you will be sorely mistaken. If a professor researches carbon or climate change, they could get shut down. This is a slippery slope that will turn VERY ugly. Withholding funding will be a cudgel that is used to affect what is taught, how it is taught, and what groups and clubs are allowed to exist on campus. If an athlete or coach does something that irritates a legislator, get ready for that program to be on the block. Bad news.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

I would agree that it's probably not good.

On the other hand, perhaps what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If the feds can do it to push a political position why can't a state? I don't agree with it but threatening funding for political/ideological compliance is not new.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:00 pm I would agree that it's probably not good.

On the other hand, perhaps what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If the feds can do it to push a political position why can't a state? I don't agree with it but threatening funding for political/ideological compliance is not new.
Should we aspire to be anything like the mess in DC? I used to be proud of the civility and collegiality of our state legislature.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:00 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:00 pm I would agree that it's probably not good.

Should we aspire to be anything like the mess in DC? I used to be proud of the civility and collegiality of our state legislature.
Unfortunately the mess in DC is driving the mess we're seeing in the states. I'll end there.

Even though the potential is there for the state legislature to get out of hand, I'll bet it's pretty restricted overall. Maybe not? Universities are in a tough spot. They are archaic with the inability to adapt. There are far greater challenges facing UW than a little selective grandstanding by legislators.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Overall this does not sound like a good thing. I would have to educate myself a lot more to have a valid opinion
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:54 am Overall this does not sound like a good thing. I would have to educate myself a lot more to have a valid opinion
If only the Legislators held to that same advice.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

doreno5 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:15 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:54 am Overall this does not sound like a good thing. I would have to educate myself a lot more to have a valid opinion
If only the Legislators held to that same advice.
The freedom caucus of the Wyoming legislature would argue that is completely unnecessary …they all now get a text message from their overlords that simply tells them what way to vote on a bill. Never would have thought id see this mentality in Wyoming but here it is.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

I am not very familiar with the happenings at the state legislature. Who are these overlords of whom you speak?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ZapPoke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:08 pm I am not very familiar with the happenings at the state legislature. Who are these overlords of whom you speak?
The out of state national leadership of the freedom caucus. No joke - the Wyoming members get a text telling them the way to vote.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:11 pm
ZapPoke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:08 pm I am not very familiar with the happenings at the state legislature. Who are these overlords of whom you speak?
The out of state national leadership of the freedom caucus. No joke - the Wyoming members get a text telling them the way to vote.
Perhaps I am naive but that sounds pretty far-fetched. But I realize politics has changed a lot in my lifetime. I’m pretty sure my beliefs have me on some watch list thanks to the NSA’s illegal surveillance of all of our communications. :rofl:
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ZapPoke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:23 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:11 pm

Perhaps I am naive but that sounds pretty far-fetched. But I realize politics has changed a lot in my lifetime. I’m pretty sure my beliefs have me on some watch list thanks to the NSA’s illegal surveillance of all of our communications. :rofl:
I wish it were far fetched. I’m not in their club so I don’t know the ramifications when their members vote against the rest of the bloc.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke

I still believe in faith, family, and country and our God given rights enumerated in this constitution. According to those in power that makes me a dangerous right wing extremist.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ZapPoke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:28 pm I still believe in faith, family, and country and our God given rights enumerated in this constitution. According to those in power that makes me a dangerous right wing extremist.
Well if you have heard of more than just the first two amendments to the US Constitution, and, if you understand that the State of Wyoming has its own separate Constitution with additional provisions and sometimes differing interpretations, then I’d say you might be more qualified for the legislature than some of our members.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

I have mixed emotions. If schools in general would educate students rather than indoctrinate them then I suppose I might have more concern. You could blow up (not literally - figuratively) the whole College and University system, and outside of athletics……..I’m not sure I’d be real bothered.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:03 pm I have mixed emotions. If schools in general would educate students rather than indoctrinate them then I suppose I might have more concern. You could blow up (not literally - figuratively) the whole College and University system, and outside of athletics……..I’m not sure I’d be real bothered.
You need to turn off the TV, or AM radio, or wherever you’re getting this ridiculous idea that UW is indoctrinating students. Maybe quit listening to our poop politicians that are espousing that nonsense as well. What a stupid take on the situation. As someone that graduated from UW in the past ten years, it’s really irritating to see stupid comments like this posted in a public forum.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Folks need to tell our legislators to stay in their lane. It’s a sad states of affairs when our legislature is so anti intellectual that they think they need to control the curriculum at UW. Unbelievable.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson