Semi-OT:long distance Amtrak

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

I read somewhere about expanded Amtrak services from Billings to El Paso via Greybull and Cheyenne (among others).

Anyone know the details? Will there be opportunities for UW to partner for gameday travel (either more home fans or travel to csu, AF, UNM)?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

I would be shocked if this happens anytime in the near future. Spending money on infrastructure is no longer something voters in this country put any value on. Politicians know this and steer clear of infrastructure plans, especially long-term ones, in their campaigns. Instead, they focus on the things voters have come to care about: abortion, immigration, school vouchers, which sports leagues transgenders should compete in, etc.

That's the important stuff, you know. :cool:
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 600 times
Been liked: 239 times

TheRealUW wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:34 pm I would be shocked if this happens anytime in the near future. Spending money on infrastructure is no longer something voters in this country put any value on. Politicians know this and steer clear of infrastructure plans, especially long-term ones, in their campaigns. Instead, they focus on the things voters have come to care about: abortion, immigration, school vouchers, which sports leagues transgenders should compete in, etc.

But but but Biden passed a HUGE infrastructure bill(sarc)
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

TheRealUW wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:34 pm I would be shocked if this happens anytime in the near future. Spending money on infrastructure is no longer something voters in this country put any value on. Politicians know this and steer clear of infrastructure plans, especially long-term ones, in their campaigns. Instead, they focus on the things voters have come to care about: abortion, immigration, school vouchers, which sports leagues transgenders should compete in, etc.

My wife works in this sector. There is a front range rail passage committee that has been around for a few years that has developed plans for the Cheyenne to Denver portion of this proposed project. I think the chances of it actually happening in the next decade are somewhere around 35% as it currently stands. I'd give it closer to 60% if we run that out to 15 years.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:08 pm

My wife works in this sector. There is a front range rail passage committee that has been around for a few years that has developed plans for the Cheyenne to Denver portion of this proposed project. I think the chances of it actually happening in the next decade are somewhere around 35% as it currently stands. I'd give it closer to 60% if we run that out to 15 years.
Anyone who travels with any frequency along the front range from Colorado Springs to Cheyenne knows there is a need and would be a lot safer than driving.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Actually, from what I read, they would probably use existing UP rails, so the infrastructure build-out would probably be pretty limited to depot improvements and traffic management facilities and equipment.

The Intermountain West would be perfect for enhanced interior rail service, especially if a lot of them connected to regional and international airports like DIA, SLC, ABQ, PHX, RNO, LAS, CPR, JAC, HDN, GJT...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

One of the proposed lines would run from Sandpoint, Idaho to Houston passing through Billings, Casper, Cheyenne and Denver. There is another line from Cheyenne to SLC to Las Vegas.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2024/01/09 ... ming-west/
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

They're trying like hell to get a southern Amtrak route through Montana and trying to get the counties to sign off on. There's already a route that goes across the north of the state. I assume this "southern" route would help with the Billings - El Paso route. I just don't understand the appeal of an Amtrak train.. or why we'd waste money on it.
ImageImageImageImage
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I wish on gamedays there'd be a passenger train for us Cheyenne fans to rt over and back, as long as i sober up b4 getting to my car in Cheyenne again...
doreno5
Ranch Hand

stymeman wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:31 pm I wish on gamedays there'd be a passenger train for us Cheyenne fans to rt over and back, as long as i sober up b4 getting to my car in Cheyenne again...
Some of the times I drove I -80 in bad weather, I wished that could have been an option sober or not. .
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

stymeman wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:31 pm I wish on gamedays there'd be a passenger train for us Cheyenne fans to rt over and back, as long as i sober up b4 getting to my car in Cheyenne again...
I am dating myself, but there used to be such a thing...from Cheytown to Laramie on football gamedays. Was quite a hoot from what I heard.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:51 pm
I am dating myself, but there used to be such a thing...from Cheytown to Laramie on football gamedays. Was quite a hoot from what I heard.
That's awesome. They ought to do that again for at least 1 game per year
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
pcwyo
Buckaroo

That was the Treagle Train, sponsored for one game a year by the Cheyenne Tribune and Eagle newspapers. Before my time being old enough to join that rolling party. I guess there were guys too drunk by the time they got to Laramie to make it to the game. With newspaper economies being what they are now, no way they could do that anymore.

I do wish Cowboy Joe Club could get in some kind of agreement to organize (not sponsor) a bus over to games that we could pay for (basketball more so than football). Uncle Charlies in Cheyenne used to do that but haven't since the Covid year, and I'm not aware of anyone else in Cheyenne having a bus to the games.
doreno5
Ranch Hand

pcwyo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:45 am That was the Treagle Train, sponsored for one game a year by the Cheyenne Tribune and Eagle newspapers. Before my time being old enough to join that rolling party. I guess there were guys too drunk by the time they got to Laramie to make it to the game. With newspaper economies being what they are now, no way they could do that anymore.

I do wish Cowboy Joe Club could get in some kind of agreement to organize (not sponsor) a bus over to games that we could pay for (basketball more so than football). Uncle Charlies in Cheyenne used to do that but haven't since the Covid year, and I'm not aware of anyone else in Cheyenne having a bus to the games.
Not only Cheyenne. I wish they had buses for people from other cities and towns as well . I would think that not having to drive to/from the game would be something some fans would appreciate.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

doreno5 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:14 pm
pcwyo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:45 am That was the Treagle Train, sponsored for one game a year by the Cheyenne Tribune and Eagle newspapers. Before my time being old enough to join that rolling party. I guess there were guys too drunk by the time they got to Laramie to make it to the game. With newspaper economies being what they are now, no way they could do that anymore.

Not only Cheyenne. I wish they had buses for people from other cities and towns as well . I would think that not having to drive to/from the game would be something some fans would appreciate.
At very least the major population centers that are not too far flung. Cheyenne, Casper, Rock Springs, and Sheridan all come to mind.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:30 pm
doreno5 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:14 pm

At very least the major population centers that are not too far flung. Cheyenne, Casper, Rock Springs, and Sheridan all come to mind.
Heck even Riverton, stop in Lander and Rawlins on the way!
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

I seem to recall a party bus that ran from Casper to Laramie for football games maybe 25 years ago. Don’t know what became of it.
doreno5
Ranch Hand

ZapPoke wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:31 pm I seem to recall a party bus that ran from Casper to Laramie for football games maybe 25 years ago. Don’t know what became of it.
Most likely it was killed with the passage of the open container law which did away with the party aspect of the trip.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Open container would count on the railroad??? Weird...sure wish it be thought about again, I'd sure do it!!!
doreno5
Ranch Hand

stymeman wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:21 am Open container would count on the railroad??? Weird...sure wish it be thought about again, I'd sure do it!!!
Not on the railroad , just highways and roads. .