Feelings thus far

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!

How do you feel about the new ball coach?

Right man, right hire, excited to have him!
46%
Not sure; on the fence.
46%
Dislike the hire.
No votes
Maybe ok but changing too much.
No votes
See how it goes. Nothing against coach, but obviously a plan to promote Bohl Jr.
8%

Total votes: 13
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

1 spring scrimmage in, so still early. A lot has changed. Svoboda has a big arm. The offense is definitely different. Defense has a lot of continuity. How are you feeling about the new* coaching staff.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Need an option between "right man, right hire" and on the fence.... Given the choices...I Guess I'm on the fence but I don't see any glaring red flags.

Maybe cautious optimism?

Also.. Need sub options with the nepotism angle. It totally could be the right hire and a plot to promote Aaron Bohl at the same time
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:33 pm Need an option between "right man, right hire" and on the fence.... Given the choices...I Guess I'm on the fence but I don't see any glaring red flags.

Maybe cautious optimism?

Also.. Need sub options with the nepotism angle. It totally could be the right hire and a plot to promote Aaron Bohl at the same time
Meh, those cover most opinions about most feelings of the primary thoughts which are not surprisingly more diverse than you tried to pigeon hole.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:51 pm
307bball wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:33 pm Need an option between "right man, right hire" and on the fence.... Given the choices...I Guess I'm on the fence but I don't see any glaring red flags.

Maybe cautious optimism?

Meh, those cover most opinions about most feelings of the primary thoughts which are not surprisingly more diverse than you tried to pigeon hole.
What are you talking about... Who am I pigeon holing? (Is holing a word)

I'm not taking issue with the three options... I just feel like I'm somewhere better the first two. The fourth option is like a sub option of the second.... That's all. Why can't I feel like he's the right guy for the job and also suspect nepotism? Every time I've posted a poll, people have discussed the relevance of the categories chosen... Don't want the discussion?... Don't post a poll.

Is this a poll about the coach? The process by which he came to be hired?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:44 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:51 pm

I'm not taking issue with the three options... I just feel like I'm somewhere better the first two. The fourth option is like a sub option of the second.... That's all. Why can't I feel like he's the right guy for the job and also suspect nepotism? Every time I've posted a poll, people have discussed the relevance of the categories chosen... Don't want the discussion?... Don't post a poll.

Honestly think other poll option suggestions are great. I just said I didn't think these were too far off. I'm sure most have somewhat mixed but the poll is about your prevailing opinion about the coach hires.

Regarding the rest, it looks like some think the hire was, dare I say, awesome?
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:28 pm
307bball wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:44 pm

Honestly think other poll option suggestions are great. I just said I didn't think these were too far off. I'm sure most have somewhat mixed but the poll is about your prevailing opinion about the coach hires.

Fair enough... Still don't understand the pigeon holing accusation or why there aren't options to like three coach while thinking it was all a plot to promote Aaron Bohl...

And yes... Some folks seem really excited about the coach....I myself am cautiously optimistic. What's your point?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:04 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:28 pm

Fair enough... Still don't understand the pigeon holing accusation or why there aren't options to like three coach while thinking it was all a plot to promote Aaron Bohl...

And yes... Some folks seem really excited about the coach....I myself am cautiously optimistic. What's your point?
You told me to get back to you when I saw people who thought the hire was awesome, so .....
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:16 pm
307bball wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:04 pm

You told me to get back to you when I saw people who thought the hire was awesome, so .....
Ah...I see the confusion. You may have meant something that you did not write perhaps? That comment came after a short discussion about Ryan Thorburn.....to remind:
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:58 am The work he does seems good. The problem has always been the work they don't do. Probably not uncommon for small Market teams but WYO media is largely a regurgitation of athletic department talking points. Very little unbiased, hard hitting reporting which greatly helps accountability. One of the many things that facilitates mediocrity.
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:07 pm ...
Or perhaps inquire why some may perceive that only some demographics get promoted with seemingly unilateral decisions.
Then finally:
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:35 am I think there are obvious differences but also realize I'm on an island on this one. Maybe I'm wrong but we have differences in opinion. I think something stinks and everyone else thinks everything is awesome. We've hashed and rehashed so I'll leave it at that
I have yet to see even the minority that you described as "everyone else thinks everything is awesome", and I challenged you "Get back with me when you find all the fans that think everything is awesome."

People may or may not like Sawvell...but I have yet to see people who think everything is awesome. Doreno5 said it himself in response to my question, "does anybody think everything is awesome?".
doreno5 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:37 pm The answer is no. The hiring of Sawvel and the promotion of Aaron Bohl to DC always made me wonder if it was a package deal negotiated by Coach Bohl before he retired. Whether it was smart or not will depend on how well the team performs. I have to admit I like Sawvel so far but just because he has a good personality does not mean he was a good or the best choice.
I then made a comment wishing Jay luck while acknowledging that there are a group of fans that seem to hate the hire and another (seeming far larger group) that don't hate him (yet)....mostly because they have not formed an opinion or like the guy already....Then I said if he tanks the program both groups will hate him. If you think I'm missing a group....by all means enlighten me.

As an aside I think that is what you are referring to with the pigeon holing comment?...though I would argue i'm doing much the opposite and painting with a very broad brush.

Anyways...if you want to amend your "Everyone thinks everything is awesome" comment to be a more clear one about how we feel about Sawvell...please do. If you do that then I don't think you are alone in not thinking the Sawvell hire is a good one. As I said...I'm not really buying what he's selling until I see some wins and losses.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:21 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:16 pm

Ah...I see the confusion. You may have meant something that you did not write perhaps? That comment came after a short discussion about Ryan Thorburn.....to remind:
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:58 am The work he does seems good. The problem has always been the work they don't do. Probably not uncommon for small Market teams but WYO media is largely a regurgitation of athletic department talking points. Very little unbiased, hard hitting reporting which greatly helps accountability. One of the many things that facilitates mediocrity.
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:07 pm ...
Or perhaps inquire why some may perceive that only some demographics get promoted with seemingly unilateral decisions.
Then finally:
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:35 am I think there are obvious differences but also realize I'm on an island on this one. Maybe I'm wrong but we have differences in opinion. I think something stinks and everyone else thinks everything is awesome. We've hashed and rehashed so I'll leave it at that
I have yet to see even the minority that you described as "everyone else thinks everything is awesome", and I challenged you "Get back with me when you find all the fans that think everything is awesome."

People may or may not like Sawvell...but I have yet to see people who think everything is awesome. Doreno5 said it himself in response to my question, "does anybody think everything is awesome?".
doreno5 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:37 pm The answer is no. The hiring of Sawvel and the promotion of Aaron Bohl to DC always made me wonder if it was a package deal negotiated by Coach Bohl before he retired. Whether it was smart or not will depend on how well the team performs. I have to admit I like Sawvel so far but just because he has a good personality does not mean he was a good or the best choice.
I then made a comment wishing Jay luck while acknowledging that there are a group of fans that seem to hate the hire and another (seeming far larger group) that don't hate him (yet)....mostly because they have not formed an opinion or like the guy already....Then I said if he tanks the program both groups will hate him. If you think I'm missing a group....by all means enlighten me.

As an aside I think that is what you are referring to with the pigeon holing comment?...though I would argue i'm doing much the opposite and painting with a very broad brush.

Anyways...if you want to amend your "Everyone thinks everything is awesome" comment to be a more clear one about how we feel about Sawvell...please do. If you do that then I don't think you are alone in not thinking the Sawvell hire is a good one. As I said...I'm not really buying what he's selling until I see some wins and losses.
Poll results suggest the Sawvell hire is, in some opinions, ..great or awesome..which is exactly what I said. I didn't acknowledge those on the fence; that's fair. I said I'm on an island that the I feel the PRIMARY reason he was hired was to promote Bohl Jr. Also agrees with the poll.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Things look really bright. Player's coach that earned the job by merit. Our second generational qb in a decade. Offense is modernized. MWC teams are mostly dogs.h.i.t and the better teams are vulnerable. We have continuity and top notch D

Really are there any excuses for less than a top 3 finish?
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:34 pm Poll results suggest the Sawvell hire is, in some opinions, ..great or awesome..which is exactly what I said. I didn't acknowledge those on the fence; that's fair. I said I'm on an island that the I feel the PRIMARY reason he was hired was to promote Bohl Jr. Also agrees with the poll.
I copied and pasted "exactly" what you said....and that ain't it. Now, you may have been unintentionally unclear in your statement that "everyone else thinks everything is awesome", but if that were the case...you could have just said so with a simple reply that said something to the effect of meaning to say that "everyone else thinks the Sawvell hire is awesome"....it's still hyperbole but at least there are folks who feel that way. After this discussion I suspect the vagueness is intentional and that while you enjoy Cowboy and college sports discussion, you also gravitate towards the pot-stirring aspect of forum posting.

Nonetheless....we have arrived at something more clear in regards to your feelings about Aaron Bohl. For myself, I do think that Craig Bohl pulled whatever strings he had available to him to give his son a leg up. I also am neutral to optimistic about Jay Sawvell. I also think that something stinks in the athletic department as a whole (possibly all the way to the BOT level) at the University of Wyoming. I definitely don't feel alone in these opinions on these message boards...that is why I challenged the idea that "everyone else thinks everything is awesome". Maybe, in real life, you rub shoulders with a group of people who are completely won over by whatever press release the athletic department has put out and are joyfully un-critical of all University policies. If that is the case, encourage them to register a username and post about it here...it won't just be you who tells them that, as you said, something is rotten....you won't feel so alone then maybe.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:53 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:34 pm Poll results suggest the Sawvell hire is, in some opinions, ..great or awesome..which is exactly what I said. I didn't acknowledge those on the fence; that's fair. I said I'm on an island that the I feel the PRIMARY reason he was hired was to promote Bohl Jr. Also agrees with the poll.
I copied and pasted "exactly" what you said....and that ain't it. Now, you may have been unintentionally unclear in your statement that "everyone else thinks everything is awesome", but if that were the case...you could have just said so with a simple reply that said something to the effect of meaning to say that "everyone else thinks the Sawvell hire is awesome"....it's still hyperbole but at least there are folks who feel that way. After this discussion I suspect the vagueness is intentional and that while you enjoy Cowboy and college sports discussion, you also gravitate towards the pot-stirring aspect of forum posting.

Nonetheless....we have arrived at something more clear in regards to your feelings about Aaron Bohl. For myself, I do think that Craig Bohl pulled whatever strings he had available to him to give his son a leg up. I also am neutral to optimistic about Jay Sawvell. I also think that something stinks in the athletic department as a whole (possibly all the way to the BOT level) at the University of Wyoming. I definitely don't feel alone in these opinions on these message boards...that is why I challenged the idea that "everyone else thinks everything is awesome". Maybe, in real life, you rub shoulders with a group of people who are completely won over by whatever press release the athletic department has put out and are joyfully un-critical of all University policies. If that is the case, encourage them to register a username and post about it here...it won't just be you who tells them that, as you said, something is rotten....you won't feel so alone then maybe.
What did I just type? I said I didn't acknowledge the on the fence crowd which is a fair criticism.

Regarding everything else it's a message board. Who cares?
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:49 am
307bball wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:53 am

What did I just type? I said I didn't acknowledge the on the fence crowd which is a fair criticism.

Your right..it is a message board. I realize that message board behavior can be pretty toxic but that is not generally what I've experienced here, even in the face of vehement disagreement. The opportunity to indulge in toxic discussion is not why I'm here...I'm not perfect and have stooped to mischaracterization, but when I get called out on it, I'll backtrack and re-frame. I've done it before and I'm sure I'll do it again.

I've had many discussions with you specifically. A lot are good and I think you are representing yourself and your opinion...and it actually causes me to examine what I think is going on in Laramie or the broader world of college athletics...and sometimes I get the sense that there are bad-faith attempts at being vague or obfuscation or mis-representing other peoples viewpoints. This conversation seems to be the latter. I don't know who wouldn't read your posts on the Ryan Thorburn thread and at least think that you feel like your statement that "everyone else thinks everything is awesome" has more to do than just how optimistic people are about Jay Sawvell.

There is another thread on here that I see you are adopting an extremely sunny outlook on Svaboda and the offense...do you believe that? I favor straightforward communication and if I'm adopting a viewpoint to make a point I'll try to make that clear.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:23 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:49 am

Your right..it is a message board. I realize that message board behavior can be pretty toxic but that is not generally what I've experienced here, even in the face of vehement disagreement. The opportunity to indulge in toxic discussion is not why I'm here...I'm not perfect and have stooped to mischaracterization, but when I get called out on it, I'll backtrack and re-frame. I've done it before and I'm sure I'll do it again.

I've had many discussions with you specifically. A lot are good and I think you are representing yourself and your opinion...and it actually causes me to examine what I think is going on in Laramie or the broader world of college athletics...and sometimes I get the sense that there are bad-faith attempts at being vague or obfuscation or mis-representing other peoples viewpoints. This conversation seems to be the latter. I don't know who wouldn't read your posts on the Ryan Thorburn thread and at least think that you feel like your statement that "everyone else thinks everything is awesome" has more to do than just how optimistic people are about Jay Sawvell.

There is another thread on here that I see you are adopting an extremely sunny outlook on Svaboda and the offense...do you believe that? I favor straightforward communication and if I'm adopting a viewpoint to make a point I'll try to make that clear.
Regarding being hung up on everything is awesome, I've already said I didn't acknowledge the on the fence crowd. The everything is awesome crowd is in reference to the coaching hire(s). I guess you could you could interpret that to mean the football program, then the athletic department, then the university, then the county, then the state, then the west, then the nation, then north America, then the Americas, then the western hemisphere, then the world, then... well you get the idea. I suppose everything is too vague a term even though we were discussing the coaching hire(s) specifically.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:08 am
307bball wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:23 am

Regarding being hung up on everything is awesome, I've already said I didn't acknowledge the on the fence crowd. The everything is awesome crowd is in reference to the coaching hire(s). I guess you could you could interpret that to mean the football program, then the athletic department, then the university, then the county, then the state, then the west, then the nation, then north America, then the Americas, then the western hemisphere, then the world, then... well you get the idea. I suppose everything is too vague a term even though we were discussing the coaching hire(s) specifically.
Point of fact..you also don't acknowledge the pro-Sawvell folks who didn't want Aaron Bohl promoted. I'm also interested to know if your comments predicting that Svaboda is heading for the draft next year and that we have "caught lightning in a bottle" and that you expect to "run roughshod over most of the schedule", are, in fact, what you are predicting.

On the whole "interpretation" issue....that's the whole point, the comment required clarification. The comment was made in a thread (and not even in a very long one) that was focused on what people thought about Ryan Thorburn and his contribution to Wyoming Coverage. I made the assumption that in a thread focused on media coverage of UW sports, your comment that "everyone else thinks everything is awesome" was in reference to the topics being discussed which was very broad. I think it's overreach to think that the average reader would jump to, as you put it, "the west, then the nation, then north America, then the Americas, then the western hemisphere, then the world, then... ". That is a bad faith representation of what I understood your comment to be about.

For my part....I may have made you defensive with my initial snarky response and set the tone for the rest of that exchange, for that I apologize...I should have just asked you to clarify what you meant by "everyone else thinks everything is awesome"
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:27 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:08 am

Point of fact..you also don't acknowledge the pro-Sawvell folks who didn't want Aaron Bohl promoted. I'm also interested to know if your comments predicting that Svaboda is heading for the draft next year and that we have "caught lightning in a bottle" and that you expect to "run roughshod over most of the schedule", are, in fact, what you are predicting.

On the whole "interpretation" issue....that's the whole point, the comment required clarification. The comment was made in a thread (and not even in a very long one) that was focused on what people thought about Ryan Thorburn and his contribution to Wyoming Coverage. I made the assumption that in a thread focused on media coverage of UW sports, your comment that "everyone else thinks everything is awesome" was in reference to the topics being discussed which was very broad. I think it's overreach to think that the average reader would jump to, as you put it, "the west, then the nation, then north America, then the Americas, then the western hemisphere, then the world, then... ". That is a bad faith representation of what I understood your comment to be about.

For my part....I may have made you defensive with my initial snarky response and set the tone for the rest of that exchange, for that I apologize...I should have just asked you to clarify what you meant by "everyone else thinks everything is awesome"
Don't apologize; message board banter doesn't bother me. I'm agreeing with you... everything is too vague a term.

PBJ comes with Junior. I personally wasn't interested in polling all PBJ's decisions. I was just curious what the pulse was regarding the hc hire.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:40 am
307bball wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:27 am

Don't apologize; message board banter doesn't bother me. I'm agreeing with you... everything is too vague a term.

PBJ comes with Junior. I personally wasn't interested in polling all PBJ's decisions. I was just curious what the pulse was regarding the hc hire.
Gotcha...seems like almost nobody doesn't like him but that's probably just the backup QB effect....we haven't seen the warts yet.