Spring Game Cancelled

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 232 times

I guess they didn’t like the rain and cool weather forecasted.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

It was dumb as hell to host it there in the first place, but I didn't think about not having it in the friendly confines of the IPF (if the weather didn't cooperate). Another reason to keep the Spring game at home.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 129 times

Dang. Rescheduled or canceled?

Going to have to wait until fall to watch the offensive juggernaut.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:13 pm Dang. Rescheduled or canceled?

Going to have to wait until fall to watch the offensive juggernaut.
Cancelled. Public ‘scrimmage’ now at 330 on Thursday at the War (when most of us are working).
cheypoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

52 degrees and sprinkles is enough to cancel? I guess I don't need to hear the University complaining about people not coming over to Laramie for games in winter then. Not a good look for the Pokes.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

cheypoke wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:39 pm 52 degrees and sprinkles is enough to cancel? I guess I don't need to hear the University complaining about people not coming over to Laramie for games in winter then. Not a good look for the Pokes.
Great point. You should share that with the know-all folks at UW.
Dear Karma,

TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

Wow. I guess we can put the "cowboy tough" slogan to rest.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

TheRealUW wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:07 pm Wow. I guess we can put the "cowboy tough" slogan to rest.
LOL! :rofl:
Dear Karma,

TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:15 pm
TheRealUW wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:07 pm Wow. I guess we can put the "cowboy tough" slogan to rest.
I am truly having a tough time swallowing the idea that 40 degrees and some precipitation was enough to cancel a Spring Game at the University of Wyoming. I could understand if the temperatures were in the single digits or forecasts were calling for torrential rain/blizzard conditions. I'm honestly embarrassed for the football team.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

TheRealUW wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:24 pm

I am truly having a tough time swallowing the idea that 40 degrees and some precipitation was enough to cancel a Spring Game at the University of Wyoming. I could understand if the temperatures were in the single digits or forecasts were calling for torrential rain/blizzard conditions. I'm honestly embarrassed for the football team.
I am with you completely. I am not thinking 'ol Bohly would have cancelled.
Dear Karma,

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

cheypoke wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:39 pm 52 degrees and sprinkles is enough to cancel? I guess I don't need to hear the University complaining about people not coming over to Laramie for games in winter then. Not a good look for the Pokes.
This might be a coaches’ call to avoid potential injuries from a wet field. IDK but just speculating because the weather shouldn’t cause travel issues.
cheypoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:43 pm
This might be a coaches’ call to avoid potential injuries from a wet field. IDK but just speculating because the weather shouldn’t cause travel issues.
It is spring in Wyoming. What were they expecting the weather to be? I was looking forward to this. Half or more of game day attendance is Cheyenne or near Cheyenne folks and this would have been a nice way to generate some excitement. In this day and age of NIL and transfers and the need for attendance, the University can't afford to miss these kinds of opportunities.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

I wonder who made the decision but it should not have come as a complete surprise. There has not been a lot of effort to hype the game in the Cheyenne market. If it was not for this board and 7220 I would not have even known it was scheduled. Honestly, it is almost like they did not even try to generate interest.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

doreno5 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:45 pm I wonder who made the decision but it should not have come as a complete surprise. There has not been a lot of effort to hype the game in the Cheyenne market. If it was not for this board and 7220 I would not have even known it was scheduled. Honestly, it is almost like they did not even try to generate interest.
Sawvell did better but you're right; there does seem to be a lack of promotion and excitement around spring football.

I'm guessing oredigger is correct regarding fear of injury.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:43 pm
This is my take, and I’m fine with it if it minimizes risk of a season ending injury. Ain’t worth the risk imo.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

I know quite a few folks that were planning to attend the game in Cheyenne. We were planning a tailgate and had about 20 people signed up at our house - including several that aren't season ticket holders and don't regularly attend games. Maybe there is a safety issue, but this is a missed opportunity. Standard UW. They will look like huge dolts if the weather clears and we have a 60 + degree day. Doesn't look like it will - and the weather would have wildly depressed turnout - but it is still a missed opportunity.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Anyone watch the scrimmage?
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

Saw a post on Facebook with the following highlights.

Chris Durr Jr. was easily the star of this spring game. He caught pretty much everything thrown to him with over 10 catches.

The defense looked good today.

Concerning part they thought was Clemons looked better than Svoboda.

And they also thought we are in trouble in the punting department.

Hoyland looked good made a 50 yard FG.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:14 pm Saw a post on Facebook with the following highlights.

Chris Durr Jr. was easily the star of this spring game. He caught pretty much everything thrown to him with over 10 catches.

The defense looked good today.

Concerning part they thought was Clemons looked better than Svoboda.

And they also thought we are in trouble in the punting department.

Hoyland looked good made a 50 yard FG.
I remember a PBJ quote about punting and we'll figure out if the best punting option is on the roster or something like that. I took it as he was concerned about the position.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 12 times

TheRealUW wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:24 pm

Heck yeah, I agree. Probably because the university would not make any money here they just decided to cancel it.