Five Left

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

@ bWHYu
SDSU
@ NM
@ UNLV
CSewe

At 2 & 5 right now...things don't look great. What a bitch of a schedule those first 7 were. If we compete, it is purely a matter of attitude and motivation, or what is left of attitude & motivation.

ACS sure seems to be in the Sophomore slump, the switch from 3 - 4 to 4 - 3 is a failure, the O line needs to continue to improve, the play calling needs to change...amongst other things. I stil have faith though...GO POKES, LET'S GET THIS poop ROLLING! :tickedoff:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Am I the only one who doesn't think the 4-3 has been that bad? We managed to pick off Utah several times, and were only the second team to register a sack against them. We ran with Air Force the whole way and held them to 20 points, and all this despite our defense spending a lot of them on the field.

It's the offense that's the crap part of things. Who knows, maybe we'll start scoring soon without using trick plays, though.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't think the 4-3 has been that bad? We managed to pick off Utah several times, and were only the second team to register a sack against them. We ran with Air Force the whole way and held them to 20 points, and all this despite our defense spending a lot of them on the field.
No, you aren't the only one...others here thought it was a good idea. All I really have to say, is 4 words. Gabe Knapton Josh Biezuns. As LB's, Biezuns & Knapton were badasses that were feared. As a DE's, they are ragdolls that get tossed around like 95# schoolgirls.

If we don't have the #'s (D Line) to run the 3 - 4, then we sure as f-word don't have the numbers to run the 4 - 3. End of story.

But that is only part of it. It may be interesting to see some points put on the scoreboard, to see what the D could really do!!!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

5 left and all 5 are games we can win. We've only lost to teams that have been or are currently ranked....3 in the top 5 and 4 in the top 10. The remaining schedule features zero ranked teams and only one with a winning record. In our only other game against a non-ranked team with a winning record, we beat Toledo.

The only positive from Saturday is we held Utah to their lowest point total of the year. To win out, we not only have to get better defensively, our offense needs to show up. Luckily, we are facing teams in which it should.

Go Pokes, time to start a nice 6 game winning streak to finish the year.
socalpoke82
Buckaroo

If the motto this year is "bring the wood," now would be a great time to do that.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't think the 4-3 has been that bad? We managed to pick off Utah several times, and were only the second team to register a sack against them. We ran with Air Force the whole way and held them to 20 points, and all this despite our defense spending a lot of them on the field.

It's the offense that's the crap part of things. Who knows, maybe we'll start scoring soon without using trick plays, though.
It does take time to get used to the 4-3, but they seem to be getting there. And Wyoming so far is the only team to sack Wynn this year, so that is a plus. Not to mention the 3 picks wih 0 turnovers from the Pokes.

But ACS needs to start throwing downfield more often. Dax did that and he scored. He may not be fast on his feet like ACS is, but he is also not afraid to throw downfield.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I don't think the 4-3 is the problem scheme wise. I think the play calling on defense is bad, how about we rush more than four people. I thought our secondary is good enough to play on an island everyonce in a while. We actually ran a 4-3 the last four games last year and it looked decent then, its just that we had fletcher who could cause pressure while being double teamed.
Pittsburgh Nellie
Ranch Hand

Anyone notice that Utah ran the exact same flea flicker as Boise State with the same result about the same time in the game. That's what happens when our safeties have to creep up to help run support because of our lack of size up front.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Anyone notice that Utah ran the exact same flea flicker as Boise State with the same result about the same time in the game. That's what happens when our safeties have to creep up to help run support because of our lack of size up front.
Same play happened in the New Mexico Bowl with a large D line. I like chris pro but that isn't the first time he goes into the box when the o-lineman are still in pass protection. I don't know why it happens but our safeties have been our leading tacklers since the Glenn days and I think this causes them to jump to quickly on play action or trick plays.
Stuck
Ranch Hand

1)Excluding SUU, BYU has far and away the worst 'rush defense' we have seen so far this season.

2)Only Toledo has had a worse 'pass defense' than BYU,yet Toledo's overall defense is much higher rated.

3)BYU's offensive statistics, both rushing and passing, put them almost dead even with Toledo.

I think this is a 'must win' game, but I think the Cowboys are up to it. Compared to the competition we have seen so far this year, I think our guys will find it much easier to stand their ground, deliver hits and punch holes for our running backs.
DC has been rotating talent these past few games and building depth, I think it will pay dividends these last 5 games.

I think SDSU is the most challenging team we have left to face so we MUST win this one.
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

I think the 4-3 will end up being ok. the biggest problem is that the defense is on the field so damn much, especially in the second half. When they get a little rest, they come out and can actually compete. Yes, the D-line is a bit undersized. But when you're worn down on top of it, it's hard to be effective.

GO POKES!