Herron moving to WR, other changes coming

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Just saw this posted on Twitter, but Herron says he's moving to WR. Seems excited about the move. Schmoldt will have a blog up later about other position moves, I'll post when it's up.
ImageImageImageImage
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

It is his natural position, I think it was a bad idea for him to be moved to rb.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Ghaali is moving to RB. Interesting. I think i like it, he is fast and athletic and physical plus we have plenty of LB.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Ghaali is moving to RB. Interesting. I think i like it, he is fast and athletic and physical plus we have plenty of LB.
Exciting move, Ghaali is a hell of an athlete. When he was first recruited I was hoping he would be a wr, but he should be a bad ass rb.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

ImageImageImageImage
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

Moving Muhammad to RB is a great move. His natural position is either RB or safety. He had no business playing linebacker. This should also open up a spot for Schober. I look for Hendricks and Schober to be on the field at the same time a lot more next year. I can't remember what game it was, but Muhammad was hurt and Schober took his starting spot at OLB...all I remember was how much better our LB play was that game.

As far as moving Herron back to WR, I think its a mistake. He doesn't have the hands or the intangibles to play the WR position. How many dropped passes did he have in his limited action at WR last year? I know there was at least one occassion where he got by the defender but caught the ball out of bounds when he had a chance to get a foot in bounds. He just wasn't aware of where he was on the field. I was excited about his speed, but I'm not exactly sure where he belongs on the football field. Not all elite level speed guys translate into good football players.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I think Herron is better suited for wr than rb. He did miss at least one crucial catch against Boise thought that he shouldn't have.

I think he could be a solid slot guy or even a deep threat if he learns how to catch the ball more consistently. He could also be a threat on the end around play. He showed on a few occassions he can do some damage if he gets out in the open field.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

JimmyDimes wrote:I think Herron is better suited for wr than rb. He did miss at least one crucial catch against Boise thought that he shouldn't have.

I think he could be a solid slot guy or even a deep threat if he learns how to catch the ball more consistently. He could also be a threat on the end around play. He showed on a few occassions he can do some damage if he gets out in the open field.
Herron could be a lot like a Wes Welker without his hands of course, but I could see him being used like Brian Westbrook. Line him up at RB a few times, let him run a few, but hit him in the flat and see what he does. He needs to improve his handling of the ball no matter what happens, because if he's a WR, he'll never catch the ball to do anything with it.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

herron caught well in hs, obviously he needs to improve more if you are at a d1 college. Redshirt season this year would have helped, but I still believe you can teach someone to catch (at least well enough).
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

TheRealUW wrote:Moving Muhammad to RB is a great move. His natural position is either RB or safety. He had no business playing linebacker. This should also open up a spot for Schober. I look for Hendricks and Schober to be on the field at the same time a lot more next year. I can't remember what game it was, but Muhammad was hurt and Schober took his starting spot at OLB...all I remember was how much better our LB play was that game.

As far as moving Herron back to WR, I think its a mistake. He doesn't have the hands or the intangibles to play the WR position. How many dropped passes did he have in his limited action at WR last year? I know there was at least one occassion where he got by the defender but caught the ball out of bounds when he had a chance to get a foot in bounds. He just wasn't aware of where he was on the field. I was excited about his speed, but I'm not exactly sure where he belongs on the football field. Not all elite level speed guys translate into good football players.
Hopefully he's the guy we need to run through the tackles and right up the throat of our opponents. No offense to AA and what he's done. But with the exception of the CSU game, he couldn't break any tackles and push north/south. Hopefully Muhammad can use his extra strength to push through the little holes our O line gives.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Herron will play more wr, but will probably be in the slot still so he can try on some of those fantastic runs he had this year.
Ghaali I could see being a lot like Ryan "the Rhino" Christopherson. Give the blow and don't take it.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Herron, not sure if he had the instincts for it, but his speed sure would make me want to try him out as kick returner. He has too much speed to not find a spot on the field next year. Get the ball in his hands and teach him the value of hanging onto it and we will be good.

Ghaali could be a tough runner. For all the good things AA has done, he drove me nuts running out of bounds short of the first down. Arrrgh, no one ever got a first down or scored a touchdown by running out of bounds, hell at least try, if the blocking isn't there get pissed and run someone over, maybe they fall down and you get the yards. AA did good things when he stayed in bounds. Hopefully they both run hard next year. I would think Ghaali could do a good job of picking up the blitz as well.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Fullback41 wrote:Herron, not sure if he had the instincts for it, but his speed sure would make me want to try him out as kick returner. He has too much speed to not find a spot on the field next year. Get the ball in his hands and teach him the value of hanging onto it and we will be good.

Ghaali could be a tough runner. For all the good things AA has done, he drove me nuts running out of bounds short of the first down. Arrrgh, no one ever got a first down or scored a touchdown by running out of bounds, hell at least try, if the blocking isn't there get pissed and run someone over, maybe they fall down and you get the yards. AA did good things when he stayed in bounds. Hopefully they both run hard next year. I would think Ghaali could do a good job of picking up the blitz as well.
I think Ghaali will be that guy who pushes through the line...pushing through tackles. I forsee him being the hard-nosed, when we need some short yards through a tough line, RB. AA is good when there's a hole and open field...but for the most part, he struggled pushing through tackles. I think these two should give us a good "one-two" punch that we didn't have...give us a new dimension to our running game.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

i think they are both great moves they will be great there and it will pay off w off season work