Small-time thinking...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

The lack of news on the coaching search has me pretty worried. At this point, either we've been turned down by anyone we've offered (who is anyone's guess), the candidates are playing us, or we've been waiting for a Dooley or someone else to finish their season. I hope it's the latter, but I have a feeling it's not.

Throughout this process, I keep hearing that we have to wait until the "big boys" fill their spots before we get a coach. Even heard that directly from McKinney's mouth on the Sportszone last week. I say poop. That kind of small-time thinking is going to keep us in the back of the pack forever. There are currently 26 open spots, maybe 7 of which I'd put as being "better" than Wyoming (Oklahoma, NC State, Missouri, Utah, Fresno, and maybe Kent State or Dayton). If we wait for all 7 of those to fill, simply because we think we can't compete for a quality coach, it's time to find a new AD and clean house. I didn't think Burman was that guy, but maybe he's proving that he is.

I know that coaches will be up for consideration for other jobs, and I hope we're talking to guys that are being considered by the "big boys." But if they're stringing us along to get a better offer or for some other BS reason, cut 'em loose and go on to the next guy. IMO, the ONLY reason that this has taken so long is that Burman has a guy like Dooley or (God-forbid) Shyatt on the hook and has been waiting for a season to end. Taylor, Dunlap, Kennedy, Gosar, Kent, or any of the other candidates we've tossed around should have been locked up by now. If that's not the case, and we end up with some no-name assistant, it just proves that Burman is a small-time thinker that may need to be shown the door.

If we do end up with that no-name assistant, I'll get behind him and root for the Pokes like always, I just hope that's not where we end up.

GO POKES!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Does this whole thing remind anyone else of the process of choosing a new Pope? Waiting anxiously for the puff of white smoke coming from the Vatican chiminey, indicating that a choice has been made?
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

Popoe Benedict was elected in less than 24 hours. They barely had a chance to finish their cappucinos...

However, we have had time to drink many, many beers.