Recruiting 2012? Biggest needs?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 155 times

What position do you all think we MUST get some quality players in 2012? It's hard to tell, but I think we need to pick up a solid Safety that doesn't get converted to LB. I think we always need OL and DL.
W-Y, Until I Die!
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 56 times

laxwyo wrote:It's hard to tell, but I think we need to pick up a solid Safety that doesn't get converted to LB.
I agree with you on the whole position conversion thing. You guys already know how I feel about that crap. Assuming he doesn't get moved to another position, I think Chad Reese in this years recruiting class has a chance to be a pretty damn good safety. Probably not ready to start as a true freshman, but I think he will develop into a very nice player sooner rather than later.

I've mentioned this a few times, but the most glaring weakness in DC's recruiting to this point has been the O-line. It's probably the toughest position to recruit in college football, but DC has to find a way to get some good ones in the program and fast. I've watched film on every single O-lineman recruit DC has signed thus far, and I have not been impressed with a single one of them yet. I don't care what the coaches say, I haven't seen a 1st team all-conference caliber O-lineman signed yet. To DC's credit, he has put out many offers to some damn good O-lineman out there, but they have all typically signed with a BCS school. I don't know what the answer is, but DC has to find a way to sign some of those higher caliber O-lineman soon, or I am sure it is going to lead to his downfall at UW.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 47 times

TheRealUW wrote:I've mentioned this a few times, but the most glaring weakness in DC's recruiting to this point has been the O-line. It's probably the toughest position to recruit in college football, but DC has to find a way to get some good ones in the program and fast. I've watched film on every single O-lineman recruit DC has signed thus far, and I have not been impressed with a single one of them yet. I don't care what the coaches say, I haven't seen a 1st team all-conference caliber O-lineman signed yet. To DC's credit, he has put out many offers to some damn good O-lineman out there, but they have all typically signed with a BCS school. I don't know what the answer is, but DC has to find a way to sign some of those higher caliber O-lineman soon, or I am sure it is going to lead to his downfall at UW.
I completely agree with you, TheRealUW. We NEED good linemen or Cowboy football will be totally screwed for good!!!!

Star players are great for selling tickets but without a really good O-line, they won't be able do jack-poop!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we shoulda had Glnn work on our defense and O-Line and have CDC work on the rest!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wyokie wrote:
TheRealUW wrote:I've mentioned this a few times, but the most glaring weakness in DC's recruiting to this point has been the O-line. It's probably the toughest position to recruit in college football, but DC has to find a way to get some good ones in the program and fast. I've watched film on every single O-lineman recruit DC has signed thus far, and I have not been impressed with a single one of them yet. I don't care what the coaches say, I haven't seen a 1st team all-conference caliber O-lineman signed yet. To DC's credit, he has put out many offers to some damn good O-lineman out there, but they have all typically signed with a BCS school. I don't know what the answer is, but DC has to find a way to sign some of those higher caliber O-lineman soon, or I am sure it is going to lead to his downfall at UW.
I completely agree with you, TheRealUW. We NEED good linemen or Cowboy football will be totally screwed for good!!!!

Star players are great for selling tickets but without a really good O-line, they won't be able do jack-poop!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we shoulda had Glnn work on our defense and O-Line and have CDC work on the rest!
So, other than 2004, we had good O-lines under Glenn? He had solid defenses (minus the BYWho games), but D-Mo was able to make plays happen, but even then, not all the time due to bad O-lines.

Give me a CDC led offense, Glenn led defense, and Paul Roach HC and we have a deal. :thumb:
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 47 times

fromolwyoming wrote:Give me a CDC led offense, Glenn led defense, and Paul Roach HC and we have a deal. :thumb:
Works for me.

Funny thing about Paul Roach. I coulda met him but I was too scared to go up to him and say hi. To me, he was my idol!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

#1. OL
#2. DL
#3. Shutdown CB
#4. A good safety who can also defend the pass.
#5. A play-making WR (This could change depending on how this years class turns out)
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

Glenn d-fence? Joe never coached defense at any level. That was Breske's defense. With that said I think DC will recruit across the board, trying to increase our depth at all positions. Always try to out do the last class brought in. You guys are right in that our biggest weakness is o-line.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

calpoke25 wrote:#1. OL
#2. DL
#3. Shutdown CB
#4. A good safety who can also defend the pass.
#5. A play-making WR (This could change depending on how this years class turns out)
That's about the order I would have as well Calpoke. I think an outstanding OL creates great players at other offensive positions. AA could be a superstar and our WR's would have the time to get open and they could look like borderline superstars. The same is said for the DL. You get a DL that stops the run and gets pressure on the QB with little help, that frees up the rest of the team to cause havoc. Troy Palomalu does what he does because the Steelers DL gets it done. A safety that doesn't need to constantly stop the run can sit back and intercept passes. As I see it now, the OL is behind the DL. I actually feel pretty good about the DL for the next couple of years. Although I'm curious who you all think will be our new DE's once Biezuns and Knapton are gone. I've noticed that we have a lot of offers to the 6'3"/6'4" type receivers for 2012 although those receivers also carry offers from many BCS schools. If Herron can turn into a playmaker, it would be nice to have that tall playmaker out there as well.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Fatpoke
Ranch Hand

A boy can dream cant he?

1. O-Line
2. Defensive Cordinator
3. O-line
4. Waterboy
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 56 times

laxwyo wrote:Although I'm curious who you all think will be our new DE's once Biezuns and Knapton are gone.
Here's my bet...Eddie Yarbrough and Miraldo Michel.

Both of these players will see time on the field this year. Yarbrough would be a killer linebacker, but he is such a good football player that I think he will do well even out of position at DE. Michel had to sit out spring ball with an injury, but he still got the benefit of being around the program, learning the terminology, etc. As good as Biezuns and Knapton are, don't be surprised if both Yarbrough and Michel start seeing the majority of snaps as the season wears on. They are both very good.

I would add Riley Lange as a possible candidate as well, but it appears the coaches have moved him to defensive tackle. The dude weighs 245 pounds and they move him to DT? Absolutely boggles my mind.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

It seems that every true DT has been converted to OL. Travis Bogard, Tyler Strong and BJ Sumpter. I think that's why we need OL recruiting more than anything. I know we want fast DL, but we still need some beef. We convert DT to OL, LB to DE and DE's to DT, S to LB and hope to add beef to them while they maintain their speed.

I was looking at DC's first recruiting class. Not too many guys on the team still. Chris McNeil is the only WR from that class still on team.

I am hoping some of the FR WR's make an immediate impact. A couple of them have some good size to them.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Fatpoke
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote:
I am hoping some of the FR WR's make an immediate impact. A couple of them have some good size to them.
I really really like Doctson after watching his tape, got good size and hands he seems to be the slowest of all the WR recruits this year but i love that he puts his body out there to make a catch. He could really be the replacement for Leonard
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

laxwyo wrote:What position do you all think we MUST get some quality players in 2012? It's hard to tell, but I think we need to pick up a solid Safety that doesn't get converted to LB. I think we always need OL and DL.
QB, no doubt. Not saying Smith or Pittser won't do the job, bt we're real thin at the most important position.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

cowboyz wrote:
laxwyo wrote:What position do you all think we MUST get some quality players in 2012? It's hard to tell, but I think we need to pick up a solid Safety that doesn't get converted to LB. I think we always need OL and DL.
QB, no doubt. Not saying Smith or Pittser won't do the job, bt we're real thin at the most important position.
Agreed, QB is a big need, I just didn't want to say it first. Of course we would want the best QB we can get, but really I think the need is for quality depth.

I also agree with everyone that thinks we need to continue looking for stud linemen. I think the Dline will hold its own this year, and I hope the Oline is improved. I think selling a stud O lineman that he would have a good chance of being a 4 yr starter on an improving team could to the trick. We just need to improve this year! I like that we are making offers to better and better players each year it seems. Sooner or later, kids that want to play tough football, focus on football & school, and have a good chance of playing early will come.

Can't wait for the season to begin.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 4 times

I agree with most here, we need beef on both sides of scrimmage.
Wyoirish
Ranch Hand

I agree that QB needs to continue to be an area of focus for the staff. DC should be getting at least one maybe two, in case one decides to leave. You can never have too many quality QB's although it may be tough to bring in a HS kid after the kind of year I think Smith is going to have! :thumb:

DC might have to go the JC route to build depth as most of those guys feel like they can play for anybody and beat anybody out.

OL the biggest priority. Without OLineman you dont have an O period. D is much better shape, depth-wise, from my perspecitive than the O although I hear great things about our rookie WR's.