Video from today's football media day

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Schmoldt also reported today that there are 3 QBs competing for the starting job.. the two freshmen and the transfer Kirkegaard.
ImageImageImageImage
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

I am excited to see what Kirkegaard brings to the table. He is a tough QB to evaluate from film. Overall, he looks like an average, middle-of-the-road QB. He doesn't throw a very good deep ball and looks like he struggles if the 1st or 2nd option isn't open and he is forced to improvise. However, he does show flashes of being a legitimate upper level college QB. Even though it was JUCO ball, that year of college football experience will be an advantage over the 2 true freshman QB's.

In the end, I don't think he has the talent to beat out Pittser for the starting spot. Even after spening a year in JUCO ball, I still think Pittser's skill set is better than what Kirkegaard has to offer. I do think there is going to be one hell of a battle for the back spot between him and Smith though. Should be an interesting fall.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

I predict that we won't know who is our clear cut #1 going into the Nebraska game. It would be sweet if one QB just destroys Weber, Texas St and Bowling Green but I think they will probably put up similar numbers and the games will end fairly close. If we struggle this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see both QB's all season long ala Glenn. I hope not, but that seems most likely.
W-Y, Until I Die!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

ImageImageImageImage
jdubcrux
Buckaroo

TheRealUW wrote: In the end, I don't think he has the talent to beat out Pittser for the starting spot. Even after spening a year in JUCO ball, I still think Pittser's skill set is better than what Kirkegaard has to offer. I do think there is going to be one hell of a battle for the back spot between him and Smith though.
LOL. You don't know isht do you.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

jdubcrux wrote:LOL. You don't know isht do you.
Actually, I do know quite a lot about some things. While I'm aware that there are a decent number of people out there with more knowledge about football than me, I doubt you fall into that group. Let's give you the benfit of the doubt though. For this argument, I'll just assume you are Nick Saban and that you decided to handicap the UW QB race in your free time. You're right. Comapred to you, I really don't know poop about football. In fact, I'd really like to hear your rational as to how the QB race will shake out. While you're at, I also wouldn't mind hearing any suggestions you have as to how to get this entire program turned around. That being said, you are really being as asshole Nick. No matter how valid a point is, people aren't going to listen when it's delivered in an asshole manner. One other thing Nick...if you feel the need to criticize someone elses opinion, you really should offer an alternative, otherwise the criticism doesn't amount to jack poop.

Let's get back to reality here. More than likely, you aren't Nick Saban. If I had to guess, I'd say you have some sort of connection to either Smith or Kirkegaard and are pulling for them to win the starting gig. That's fine. You would better off just stating your opinion as such, rather than attacking another persons opinion without offering any reason as to why you believe them to be wrong. So, please, let's hear it...
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I think Smith may get the nod as he was here for Spring practice and has had time to learn Brandon's playbook. That is a huge advantage. That said, we probably won't know for sure who starts until, at the earliest, the Weber State game, and maybe they'll still be doing the Quartback Shuffle. I haven't watched any videos of the JC guy, but both Smith and Pittser look good. Both are scrappy dual threat QBs that can throw on the run, run the ball well, and have good arms all-round. So whoever wins, wins. Both look like potential Freshmen of the Year candidates to me.
Last edited by fromolwyoming on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

TheRealUW wrote: Actually, I do know quite a lot about some things. While I'm aware that there are a decent number of people out there with more knowledge about football than me, I doubt you fall into that group. Let's give you the benfit of the doubt though. For this argument, I'll just assume you are Nick Saban and that you decided to handicap the UW QB race in your free time. You're right. Comapred to you, I really don't know s##t about football. In fact, I'd really like to hear your rational as to how the QB race will shake out. While you're at, I also wouldn't mind hearing any suggestions you have as to how to get this entire program turned around. That being said, you are really being as a##hole Nick. No matter how valid a point is, people aren't going to listen when it's delivered in an a##hole manner. One other thing Nick...if you feel the need to criticize someone elses opinion, you really should offer an alternative, otherwise the criticism doesn't amount to jack s##t.

Let's get back to reality here. More than likely, you aren't Nick Saban. If I had to guess, I'd say you have some sort of connection to either Smith or Kirkegaard and are pulling for them to win the starting gig. That's fine. You would better off just stating your opinion as such, rather than attacking another persons opinion without offering any reason as to why you believe them to be wrong. So, please, let's hear it...
Well said.
jdubcrux
Buckaroo

TheRealUW wrote:
jdubcrux wrote:LOL. You don't know isht do you.
Actually, I do know quite a lot about some things. While I'm aware that there are a decent number of people out there with more knowledge about football than me, I doubt you fall into that group. Let's give you the benfit of the doubt though. For this argument, I'll just assume you are Nick Saban and that you decided to handicap the UW QB race in your free time. You're right. Comapred to you, I really don't know s##t about football. In fact, I'd really like to hear your rational as to how the QB race will shake out. While you're at, I also wouldn't mind hearing any suggestions you have as to how to get this entire program turned around. That being said, you are really being as a##hole Nick. No matter how valid a point is, people aren't going to listen when it's delivered in an a##hole manner. One other thing Nick...if you feel the need to criticize someone elses opinion, you really should offer an alternative, otherwise the criticism doesn't amount to jack s##t.

LMFAO No time for your drivel. Got to get to practice. Roll Tide.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

A closet Bama fan? Who knew?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

I'm confused.
ImageImageImageImage
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

MrTitleist wrote:I'm confused.
Yeah, about all I got was the "Roll Tide!" part.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
Same here.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
Same here.
The guy's only got a few posts and is acting like a troll! Don't read much into it. He seems like nothing special, just someone to ignore. Everyone on here pretty much knows who's legit around here anyway. We've been doing this for so long with each other. And though a few of us have had different opinions over the years, I would not consider any of you trollish. So find the legits on this board and talk to them. Ignore the trolls.
mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
Same here.
The guy's only got a few posts and is acting like a troll! Don't read much into it. He seems like nothing special, just someone to ignore. Everyone on here pretty much knows who's legit around here anyway. We've been doing this for so long with each other. And though a few of us have had different opinions over the years, I would not consider any of you trollish. So find the legits on this board and talk to them. Ignore the trolls.
:troll:
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

fromolwyoming wrote:A closet Bama fan? Who knew?
The Roll Tide and going to practice is because TheRealUW called him Nick Saban. I doubt he's a Bama' troll. But he's obviously a friend of one of the other QBs as someone else stated. Or, he does indeed know s**t and should enlighten the rest of us as to what we're missing.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

I want whoever is the best QB for the job to start but with that said I think once Pittser gets the offense down it will not even be a close competition.

According to this Article from last years Elite 11 , the guy who won MVP at the camp (Jeff Driskel) a Florida recruit was not only the best QB at the camp but the best QB maybe in 5 years at the camp and Pittser got runner up to him. So basically raw talent wise they are saying Pittser is right up there with these elite 11 Qb's the last 5 years:

http://rise.espn.go.com/football/articl ... wards.aspx

2006: John Brantley Current Florida QB
Ryan Mallett Arkansas QB last year and NFL draft pick
Tyrod Taylor Virginia Tech QB last year and NFL draft pick

2007: Dayne Crist current Notre Dame QB
Blaine Gabbert Missouri QB last year and NFL draft pick
Jacory Harris Miami Hurricane QB last year
Landry Jones current Oklahoma QB
Andrew Luck current Stanford QB

2008 AJ McCarron Current Alabama QB
Aaron Murray current Georgia QB

2009 Tyler Bray Tennessee QB
Jake Heaps BYU QB
Nick Montana Washington QB

So as you can see you go by raw talent Pittser should blow the other two away with the company he is in according to the elite 11 scouts. We will see what happens but I think Pittser will be starting all by himself after a few games into the season.
If Smith or Kirkagaard can beat out Pittser then they are going to have to be one hell of a QB in my opinion. If they do then great it just means we should be set up nice for a couple years at QB. :thumb:

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

I just want a clear cut winner! I want one guy to stand out and tear it up!
W-Y, Until I Die!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote:I just want a clear cut winner! I want one guy to stand out and tear it up!
+1 The dual QB system rarely ever works. And if it does, its typically at a major college football program.

I'm holding out for Pittser to just straight up be named the guy, but I ain't holding my breath either. 1 month isn't a whole lot of tie to grasp a system. I think Smith has a slight edge.