MW/CUSA alliance: Not if, when

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

ImageImageImageImage
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

I still think this is a bad idea. If not heard anything about this agreement guaranteeing the winner a BCS game, and that's the key point for me. Would this game really gain that much in TV revenue? Especially when Boise ends up playing an SMU, Houston, or UCF? I just don't get it.

Is there any evidence to think this game would get the winner a BCS berth?

GO POKES!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Hawaii's AD Jim Donovan also confirmed that this is a when, not an if. wyokie still doesn't believe it though.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

J-Rod wrote:Hawaii's AD Jim Donovan also confirmed that this is a when, not an if. wyokie still doesn't believe it though.
I agree with wellpoke. It a really REALLY bad idea.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

This biggest problem with such an alliance would be involving schools like Tulane, Rice, and UAB.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

calpoke25 wrote:This biggest problem with such an alliance would be involving schools like Tulane, Rice, and UAB.
While they're good academically, that's about it.
castlerocker
Cowpoke

I think they should stop this nonsense, have a few cold ones, and remember when the old WAC expansion failed so miserably.

Do they want to get bigger just for the sake of getting bigger or is there some real coherent goal here?
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote:This biggest problem with such an alliance would be involving schools like Tulane, Rice, and UAB.
how many rice fans do you think are saying "This biggest problem with such an alliance would be involving schools like Unlv, Wyoming, and New Mexico?
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

I like Rice OK because of their rivalry with SMOO. They had some success in '6 and '8 with 7-6 and 10-3. And that was nice for them.

Tulane's Coach Toledo has had his house on the market for a few months.
His assistants are reported to be renting month by month.

UAB. Yeah, well.......

Don't think I like the alliance either. UCF and SMU are C-USA programs who could leave for some AQ conference. A lot of people are watching what happens with Missouri right now too.

These men are $$ and power crazy ruining our football.
I've said if we all cancel our tv providers and blame it on college football then we have the power.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

wyosteelerfan wrote:
how many rice fans do you think are saying "This biggest problem with such an alliance would be involving schools like Unlv, Wyoming, and New Mexico?
Exactly.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

alyssa wrote:These men are $$ and power crazy ruining our football.
Sadly, it's the same reason this country's going down as well. A select few people are controlling the policies that affect the entire nation... More and more numbers are coming out that shows we're getting screwed in the ass with everything. The taxcuts for the large corporations in 2004-05 that were supposed to help out with job creation? The $80 Billion they got helped the corporations move over 600,000 jobs overseas while making record payouts for share holders - many of them members of congress. The last banking bailout? How many hundred million were paid out in bonuses after that, and now the banks are falling in line with charging for basic services, like Debit Cards (Bank of America's doing $5/month for theirs, and the other banks should follow suit in 2012).

Anyway, sorry to derail the topic, but I'm getting sick of this crap. It seems to be everywhere these days, and both Democrats and Republicans are equally guilty, as both parties' representatives only really care about themselves rather than the ones they're supposed to represent.
Wyoirish
Ranch Hand

I was watching the Mtn recently and saw a clip from Rocky Long's presser in which he was asked about all of the realignment. He responded like a guy who knows the landscape very wel, although he isnt worried about it now because he is trying to win football games. In the off-season he and his people are very tuned into it.
He's under the impression that it isnt a question of if a playoff were to ever happen but rather when and the teams that do not have a conference aligment it will mean very bad news for them. Not everybody will have access to this sytem and he was pretty convinced that the teams that aren't aligned in some fashion to a conference, regardless of what conference it was, those teams will not have a chance to make it in the new D I. IT certainly won't be a division open to all 120 teams, but something much smaller than that.

I see the MWC/Conf USA merger as a group of people trying to accomplish just that. Once the merger takes place, there will be very stringent maybe even impossible measures put in place to discourage future realignment by schools, to protect the alliance from any future poaching. Any team not aligned with a major conference unless your one of the elite independents will be s#it out of luck, and it will be a tough argument to keep out a conference of 22+ schools that are committed and tied to each other.
billings
Ranch Hand

Simply way to many t details and inside info that we are not aware of to tell if this is a good thing or a bad thing. You simply have to trust that the MWC have info we don't and that is drive a choice to do this.

I hate that but I don't know what to think of this right now.
theman
Ranch Hand

When I first heard of this alliance I was for it, thinking the winner gets a bcs berth. Then I looked at c-usa teams again.... :roll: If there is no guarantee of a bcs berth than absolutely positiviely no way should we do this. lets hope the big east and big 12 fall apart and maybe pick up some of those pieces.. maybe houston etc..
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I agree with you Billings. It isn't Craig Thompson making the decisions, it's the presidents of our universities. I don't think they are basing it solely on $, but more on stability and strength. Craig Thompson and the commish of the CUSA are the go-betweens and are exploring options that we don't have knowledge of. I can't say if it's a good thing for us fans or not - I would prefer to stay as we are, but they have more info than I do. :coffee:
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

wyosteelerfan wrote: how many rice fans do you think are saying "This biggest problem with such an alliance would be involving schools like Unlv, Wyoming, and New Mexico?
They may say that and they do have a point, but UNLV and New Mexico both can point to solid BBall and UNM was recently very competitive.

We haven't been good in either, but I think we'd have a solid case for controlling our market (small as it may be) instead of being the lowest rung on the ladder, a much more rabid fan base and a stronger commitment and institutional support for athletics than those said schools. I think an objective fan would recognize these things.

I think one of the main things the MWC has going for it is that most of the teams control their markets and are the only show in town.

But what do I know?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

What they are doing or working on actually helps the Teams of the MWC more so than the conference itself. I mean I can see where people don't like the idea but if a play/champion game system between the 2 conferences lands a more lucrative BCS bowl than either of the conferences can currently obtain than it's a step in the right direction.

However if it can't land a more lucrative bowl than it's rather pointless.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 150 times

Wyo2dal wrote:What they are doing or working on actually helps the Teams of the MWC more so than the conference itself. I mean I can see where people don't like the idea but if a play/champion game system between the 2 conferences lands a more lucrative BCS bowl than either of the conferences can currently obtain than it's a step in the right direction.

However if it can't land a more lucrative bowl than it's rather pointless.
I agree. if the winner of the championship game gets into a BCS bowl, it would probably be, for most of the teams in the conference, their best chance ever at a BCS bowl. I'm sure if the wyomings, CSUs etc ever went undefeated and won the MW, they wouldn't be in a BCS bowl. For some reason, CF cares about what you did the previous season and don't even mention having one loss! They can send multiple loss Big East teams to get crushed in BCS bowls, but you'll never see a MW team with a loss ever being in one, regardless of their OOC schedule.
W-Y, Until I Die!
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Tulane is now a viable option for Big 12 expansion. That is after BYU, Louisville, West Virgina and TCU.
Read it on ESPN College Sports today's date October 5, 2011 titled Report: Missouri hopes to join SEC.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

theman wrote:When I first heard of this alliance I was for it, thinking the winner gets a bcs berth. Then I looked at c-usa teams again.... :roll: If there is no guarantee of a bcs berth than absolutely positiviely no way should we do this. lets hope the big east and big 12 fall apart and maybe pick up some of those pieces.. maybe houston etc..

Be careful at who you roll those eyes at.