Any advice for a newcomer?

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
WyoMonarch
Buckaroo

I am officially moving out to Laramie in late July. What kind of things should I do when I get there? I am looking specifically for best places to eat, drink, shop, play, whatever.

I am a big fan of the outdoors- love hiking, biking, camping. Do any of you know good spots for this? It would be sweet to find a mountain lake off the beaten path for some weekend camping trips. I haven't been able to find much info online though.

I would love to hear anything you experts have to say!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Where are you moving from? It is very, very dry here this year and there is a 6,000 acre fire burning in Northern Albany County - Laramie is in the southern part of the county. I suggest you make the forest service and/or Wyoming Game & Fish one of your first stops and pick up some forest maps - they will show you where the lakes & campgrounds are located. Stop by the Laramie Fly Store - they can give you some tips on the fishing spots.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WyoMonarch
Buckaroo

WYCowboy wrote:Where are you moving from? It is very, very dry here this year and there is a 6,000 acre fire burning in Northern Albany County - Laramie is in the southern part of the county. I suggest you make the forest service and/or Wyoming Game & Fish one of your first stops and pick up some forest maps - they will show you where the lakes & campgrounds are located. Stop by the Laramie Fly Store - they can give you some tips on the fishing spots.
Coming from Norfolk, VA (Old Dominion University) to start grad school. Thanks for the forest svc advice. I never would have thought about that. I'm not a big fisherman, but I had been told that fly fishing is big up there.
Wyojjs12
Buckaroo

I'm headed out to Laramie for grad school in late July as well. Coming from Atlanta, and ready to do some hiking on the weekends.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wyojjs12 wrote:I'm headed out to Laramie for grad school in late July as well. Coming from Atlanta, and ready to do some hiking on the weekends.
Be prepared for a huge shift in altitude and climate (over 7000 feet above sea level and really arid too). Personally, I'd give it at least a week before any major hiking for your body to adjust to the altitude, or else you may end up hyper-ventilating.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 150 times

Don't forget to bring a towel!

W-Y, Until I Die!
WyoMonarch
Buckaroo

fromolwyoming wrote:
Wyojjs12 wrote:I'm headed out to Laramie for grad school in late July as well. Coming from Atlanta, and ready to do some hiking on the weekends.
Be prepared for a huge shift in altitude and climate (over 7000 feet above sea level and really arid too). Personally, I'd give it at least a week before any major hiking for your body to adjust to the altitude, or else you may end up hyper-ventilating.
This actually happened to me when I came to visit. That elevation is legit.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:Don't forget to bring a towel!

disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:
lol.....my wife is @ a conference in golden, co right now and she was lolling last night after the orientation because they kept harping about drinking lots of water to hold off the altitude sickness

here she's sitting in a group of folks from casper and laramie getting a lecture on altitude @ a campus sitting @ 5600'

alyssa
A Real Cowboy

If I gave advice I'd say to swoop down here to Texas and get all the girls you can handle to take up to Laramie with you.
You know, stock up!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

alyssa wrote:If I gave advice I'd say to swoop down here to Texas and get all the girls you can handle to take up to Laramie with you.
You know, stock up!
so, like 0?
W-Y, Until I Die!
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote:
alyssa wrote:If I gave advice I'd say to swoop down here to Texas and get all the girls you can handle to take up to Laramie with you.
You know, stock up!
so, like 0?
????
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:
You know, stock up!
so, like 0?
you are on a f-word roll today :lol:

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

wyosteelerfan wrote:
laxwyo wrote:
You know, stock up!
so, like 0?
She don't get it. :D
W-Y, Until I Die!
Snowflake
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote:
wyosteelerfan wrote:
laxwyo wrote:
You know, stock up!
so, like 0?
Ahem.

*doesn't

;)
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Snowflake wrote:
laxwyo wrote:
wyosteelerfan wrote:
laxwyo wrote:
You know, stock up!
so, like 0?
Ahem.

*doesn't

;)
yeah i guess, "she do not get it" is pretty poor. bad Sean. Spankings Snowflake?
W-Y, Until I Die!
Snowflake
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote:
Snowflake wrote:
laxwyo wrote:
wyosteelerfan wrote:
laxwyo wrote:
You know, stock up!
so, like 0?
Ahem.

*doesn't

;)
yeah i guess, "she do not get it" is pretty poor. bad Sean. Spankings Snowflake?
Bend over sugar, I'm sure I have my initiation paddle here somewhere...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

:butt:
W-Y, Until I Die!
Snowflake
Cowpoke

SMACK!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster