So that's how we roll

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WestSalemFootballFan
Buckaroo

After reading a few posts at the end of the game thread, I have to say I'm pretty impressed. And not in a good way. A few fans sure find it easy to toss anyone under the bus for a loss. To those people, I say this:

Brett Smith is an amazing football player (Obvious), one of the most fired up competitors you could ever hope to watch in your lifetime. At 20 years old, he takes on so much more that any of us could imagine. But just remember, he's 20 years old. He's halfway across the country from his friends and family, leading your football team. He gives EVERYTHING on every play, and most of the plays he is involved in are better than they would be with somebody else back there. He takes responsibility and beats the crap out of himself for mistakes and losses. He takes this stuff in and learns from it, and I'm sure he won't get kicked out of another game (unless it was for brawling to defend a teammate maybe).

I don't know if he reads this board, but I know I do. I'm a big Wyoming fan, but there's no doubt I'm a bigger Brett Smith fan. I would hope that a kid that embodies a figthing spirit would always be supported by his team's fans. Be pissed off about the loss, it IS a game that fires us fans up. But no one is more pissed off about last night than Brett, I can assure you that. He got booted, but he got booted standing up for his team....your team.
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

I for one am not pissed off at Smith, when he was ejected we had the lead and I still believe we could have won had Colby Kirkegaard had not played. I also believe we still had a chance with 1:05 to go in regulation and it was third down, DC made the call to sit on it and play for OT and not the win, i blame this loss solely in one place... THE HEAD COACH. :tickedoff:

If you do not play to win why play the game at all?
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I think like with anything else, a lot of us are so passionate about our team that losses like this hurt. In the process of it all sometimes, we, like brett last night, get a little animated and say things we don't mean.

I have no ill will towards brett at all. I let some of my frustration spill over last night, but now that I've had a little time to calm down, I am pretty dam honored to have brett a cowboy. My biggest frustration is that qbs like him don't come through laramie very often. And I feel he is on a freakin island with no help.

Thanks for the thread. You are right about Brett. I think we all can agree that the reason the pokes are even breathing this year is cause of him. I just always fear the worse...i.e. next year being sitting out for another team so he can play the next year elsewhere.
WestSalemFootballFan
Buckaroo

There are a lot of factors in the loss. I'd love to see more aggressive play-calling, because I think players feed off of their coaches demeanor. Playing to not make a mistake= mistake.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I just hope eventually we get the story of what he actually did. I watched the game and nothing seemed out of the ordinary from the film. It didn't help that the TV that was available was pretty awful, but there are rumors of flipping the bird to Nevada fans (which I think was probably him flashing his friends number to the sky) and maybe the ref thought that was what he was doing and it was a big misunderstanding. One way or another I was absolutely pissed that he got tossed from the game when I didn't see him doing anything that isn't done every college football game without flags.

I hope Brett knows how much he is loved here, he is so much fun to watch and I love his passion and fire and wouldn't enjoy watching him nearly as much without it. Hopefully I never see the white haired fat ref again because he was a clown who inserted himself into the game and made the difference in the game. :tickedoff:
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

djm19 wrote:I think like with anything else, a lot of us are so passionate about our team that losses like this hurt. In the process of it all sometimes, we, like brett last night, get a little animated and say things we don't mean.

I have no ill will towards brett at all. I let some of my frustration spill over last night, but now that I've had a little time to calm down, I am pretty dam honored to have brett a cowboy. My biggest frustration is that qbs like him don't come through laramie very often. And I feel he is on a freakin island with no help.

Thanks for the thread. You are right about Brett. I think we all can agree that the reason the pokes are even breathing this year is cause of him. I just always fear the worse...i.e. next year being sitting out for another team so he can play the next year elsewhere.

This. I know last night I was just pissed at EVERYTHING. After a day of soaking it in I'm not blaming Brett. I blame CDC though. He was not Cowboy Tough last night when he rolled over
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

WestSalemFootballFan wrote:After reading a few posts at the end of the game thread, I have to say I'm pretty impressed. And not in a good way. A few fans sure find it easy to toss anyone under the bus for a loss. To those people, I say this:

Brett Smith is an amazing football player (Obvious), one of the most fired up competitors you could ever hope to watch in your lifetime. At 20 years old, he takes on so much more that any of us could imagine. But just remember, he's 20 years old. He's halfway across the country from his friends and family, leading your football team. He gives EVERYTHING on every play, and most of the plays he is involved in are better than they would be with somebody else back there. He takes responsibility and beats the crap out of himself for mistakes and losses. He takes this stuff in and learns from it, and I'm sure he won't get kicked out of another game (unless it was for brawling to defend a teammate maybe).

I don't know if he reads this board, but I know I do. I'm a big Wyoming fan, but there's no doubt I'm a bigger Brett Smith fan. I would hope that a kid that embodies a figthing spirit would always be supported by his team's fans. Be pissed off about the loss, it IS a game that fires us fans up. But no one is more pissed off about last night than Brett, I can assure you that. He got booted, but he got booted standing up for his team....your team.
I don't think anybody disputes Brett's ability nor his competitive drive. However, he did what he did and he deserves the blame for being kicked out. Everyone gives him credit for the positives, and he justly deserves criticism for the negatives that were present on Saturday night. Nobody needs to make excuses for him. He screwed up and hopefully he learns from it to improve his leadership skills and win more games. The dude is talented but is not exempt from criticism. :twocents:
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Just like the prevent defense, without Brett Smith we play the prevent offense. It prevents us from winning
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

I consider Brett a great role model and would love to have 84 guys just like him on the team. Like Mike Purcell, it happens sometimes and you learn from it. To my knowledge it has only happened to Purcell once, yet he still plays with fire. Brett is awesome and we all know it. Some (like i have in the past) vent before they have had a chance to cool off. I bet 99% or more of UW fans would be proud to have Brett represent our school, state, or family.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
WestSalemFootballFan
Buckaroo

The kid gives a poop about winning football games for wyoming. He's not perfect, but to read he needs to be booed in his classes and to throw scripture in his face was way beyond criticism. He's 20 freakin years old, and salt of the earth people. So he got booted, for what? Flashing the number of his dear friend to the sky? Protesting a poop no-call? At least someone sacked up and showed passion about trying to win. Far worse things a team leader could do in my book
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

WestSalemFootballFan wrote:The kid gives a poop about winning football games for wyoming. He's not perfect, but to read he needs to be booed in his classes and to throw scripture in his face was way beyond criticism. He's 20 freakin years old, and salt of the earth people. So he got booted, for what? Flashing the number of his dear friend to the sky? Protesting a poop no-call? At least someone sacked up and showed passion about trying to win. Far worse things a team leader could do in my book
There is no doubt about his fire and passion. He needed to cool it though after the first penalty. That is where the blame lies. Know what the consequences could be before you draw the second flag, that let down the team. B.S. knows this and I am sure he will not get caught up in making the same mistake again.
thirtyseven
Ranch Hand

I didn't see the calls that went against Brett but we shouldn't blame him for being passionate and if he truly was only paying tribute to his deceased friend on the first call then shame on the officials. I am sure he learned not to talk to the officials. We don't have to get on his case for getting kicked out of the game. He is competitive and smart enough not to make that mistake again. We are lucky to have someone here with Brett's talent.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

WestSalemFootballFan wrote:The kid gives a poop about winning football games for wyoming. He's not perfect, but to read he needs to be booed in his classes and to throw scripture in his face was way beyond criticism. He's 20 freakin years old, and salt of the earth people. So he got booted, for what? Flashing the number of his dear friend to the sky? Protesting a poop no-call? At least someone sacked up and showed passion about trying to win. Far worse things a team leader could do in my book
Agreed, those posts were ridiculous.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Wyolie Coyote wrote:
WestSalemFootballFan wrote:After reading a few posts at the end of the game thread, I have to say I'm pretty impressed. And not in a good way. A few fans sure find it easy to toss anyone under the bus for a loss. To those people, I say this:

Can I criticize you?

Or did saying that just make you mad a little on the inside?

Seriously, critiquing something or someone is one thing. Making attacks is another. Reading some of the stuff I read after he was ejected was more along the lines of angry attacks, than criticizing.
I don't think anybody disputes Brett's ability nor his competitive drive. However, he did what he did and he deserves the blame for being kicked out. Everyone gives him credit for the positives, and he justly deserves criticism for the negatives that were present on Saturday night. Nobody needs to make excuses for him. He screwed up and hopefully he learns from it to improve his leadership skills and win more games. The dude is talented but is not exempt from criticism. :twocents:
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Wyolie Coyote wrote:

Can I criticize you?

Or did saying that just make you mad a little on the inside?

Seriously, critiquing something or someone is one thing. Making attacks is another. Reading some of the stuff I read after he was ejected was more along the lines of angry attacks, than criticizing.

Okay, my post ended at this, I have no idea where the rest of it came from.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Brett is a big boy he doesn't need you defending him he knows what he did was wrong. Does anyone dislike his passion no but when he does good he gets praise and when he does bad he also has to take the criticism it's part of the role he plays.

Does anyone dislike him no and everyone respects his ability and his passion the same today that we did last year. Plain and simple he let his temper get the best of him, It was a contributing factor to the loss he knows it and he accepts it. I wouldn't say anyone was throwing him under any bus was the loss entirely his fault no but he was a contributing factor like it or not.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 154 times

I would agree with Wyo2dal
W-Y, Until I Die!
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

i saw the clip of his touchdown on the morning news today

tbh....per ncaa rules even just the fact that he was holding the ball in the air on his way into the endzone was enough for the refs to take the touchdown back but they didn't.....i also noticed a line judge telling him to cool it while he was celebrating and he stopped for a second and went back and kept on going i think this is really what put the first penalty over the edge

for the record i hate excessive celebration penalties....imo spectator sports, at their very root, are purely entertainment. and as much as i think that endzone celebration (within reason barring time constraints) ishould just be considered part of that entertainment it isn't and from what i saw (on the first penalty only.....i didn't see any video of the second) the refs were well within their rights to throw the flag
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

wyosteelerfan wrote:i saw the clip of his touchdown on the morning news today

tbh....per ncaa rules even just the fact that he was holding the ball in the air on his way into the endzone was enough for the refs to take the touchdown back but they didn't.....i also noticed a line judge telling him to cool it while he was celebrating and he stopped for a second and went back and kept on going i think this is really what put the first penalty over the edge

for the record i hate excessive celebration penalties....imo spectator sports, at their very root, are purely entertainment. and as much as i think that endzone celebration (within reason barring time constraints) ishould just be considered part of that entertainment it isn't and from what i saw (on the first penalty only.....i didn't see any video of the second) the refs were well within their rights to throw the flag
I agree and have no problem with the first penalty. Where I have a problem is with the blatant out-of-bounds late hit on Smith with no flag thrown, the PI flag at a critical time that was picked up & waved off, and the last unsportsmanlike penalty.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WestSalemFootballFan
Buckaroo

No he doesn't need me to defend him, I choose to do that freely. You know, the same way people felt free to throw scripture in his face. Check the game thread and tell me it didn't cross the line from critical to personal. if someone crossed that line with your family, I'm guessing you wouldn't keep quiet either.