Coach DC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
YankPoke
Cowpoke

Hello, I am a new poster and a current sophomore at U Dub, I have been reading this board for awhile and thought I would weigh in with my thoughts. I have a couple of things I wanted to say about CDC since that has been a big topic with a bad season and the rant.
1. The rant looks worse than it really is, it blew up for a couple days and now is only talked about inside the state of Wyoming. I have seen high school coaches go at it similar to that after games and it is nothing new, it just looks a lot worse with him being caught on camera.
2. He never made an excuse and owned up to it which I really appreciated, I thought he handled it well and deserves a second chance like we give players so often without even thinking about it.
3. The inconsistancy argument is funny to me and shows why Wyoming has not built a quality program here. The inconsistancy shows that we are building a program, but are not there yet, it takes a long time to build a football team with all of the things that go with it like being able to red shirt more players. The program is heading in the right direction and we need to give him a minimum of one more year to see it through. The thing that you can really look at is what Kory Jones said in a newspaper article I read from when he was being recruited, his Dad told him, "they may not be winning right now, but they are practicing winning ways." They are doing all of the right things to build this program and getting more talent in the program.
4. I am not very happy about this season or the rant, I drank the kool-aid and thought we would be competing for a conference championship this season. I am very upset for how this season has turned out, but that doesn't mean we should start all over we were the better team in all but three games this year so we very easily could have a 6-3 record.
5. We beat the sheep and kept the boot!
6. This season is a disapointment, and the going up and down isn't fun, but it doesn't mean we need to fire DC and start over. We are building a program that was in a terrible place when he took over, now we have more talent, are redshirting more players, and are close to being where we all want us to be. To start over now would be the worst case scenario for WYO and we can't do it. We must give DC at least next year to prove himself and I think that if we give him that next year we will all be happy with that decision and I believe we will win more than 8 games next year. Firing a coach every time we have a down year is not the answer then we end up like CU where they are the worst team in football, we need to see this rebuilding project through. We must give him next year and then if he doesn't cut it, that is when you can bring up firing him.
my :twocents:
Go Pokes
snowdemon14
Buckaroo

i agree with everything you said

+1
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I agree with this 100% as well. He's not just showing up to collect a paycheck - he genuinely cares about this team, Wyoming Athletics, the University and the State. He

Its been a tough year on all of us. I believe he has been using the Pinkel method of building a program. If you look back at some of these records, they are similar (albeit slightly better).
Missouri
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/di ... ?year=2000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/di ... ?year=2005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/di ... ?year=2010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Toledo
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/di ... ?year=1990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/di ... ?year=1995" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/di ... ?year=2000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last but not least, the guy has apologized all over the place. If the witch hunt would end he could quit apologizing and focus on winning some games. He has my full support while he is with our program. Our athletes have my full support.

Go Pokes!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Agreed. DC has apologized, paid the fine, and did his suspension. Let him get back to worrying about what he was hired to do, and that is to coach the Cowboys. He wasn't hired for his personality (although it seems the team thinks pretty highly of him, going off of twitter posts) and he wasn't hired to be a media outlet. Right now he's building a program, which is coming together. Before our 1949 and 1950 years of destroying everything (Northern Colorado comes to mind), Bowden Wyatt took several years to get the program to that point. Tiller also took several years, got a 10 win season, top 25 ranking, and was more or less shoved out of the job. Went on to Purdue to be pretty damn successfull.

I'm tired of having to switch coaches every few years. Glenn, great guy, great FCS coach, will miss him, but not a FBS coach by any means. Koenning, also not a bad guy, but a horrible HC (decent DC though). And Dimel who began that mess with recruiting that made Glenn look like a great recruiter and the pool table incident and used Tiller's recruits to get the hell out of dodge. Houston learned that the hard way.1 thing is ALWAYS sure though, it takes more than a few years to build a program. DC was working with what, 65 scholarship athletes in 2010? Last year we went 8-5 (in some games that were admittedly way too close for comfort). But since he has been here, offense has improved markedly. Defense is still inconsistent, especially the secondary, but they do show life, more so than in years past.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I'm glad others have finally chimed in. It was getting annoying having everyone telling me I have an "emotional attachment " to DC. This is exactly what I've been saying this whole time.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

I 100% support DC. For me year 5 will be judgment day. I want DC to succeed.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

dimel's recruiting? He actually recruited a decent group talent wise. A lot of those guys were either ran off or had off the field issues. Vic..meaning well..ran a lot of guys off that would have been very good players. The "clean house" method backfired. A few of Dana's guys had/having long careers in the NFL. I think DC needs another year or two just like the previous post suggested. :coffee:
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

BJC wrote:dimel's recruiting? He actually recruited a decent group talent wise. A lot of those guys were either ran off or had off the field issues. Vic..meaning well..ran a lot of guys off that would have been very good players. The "clean house" method backfired. A few of Dana's guys had/having long careers in the NFL. I think DC needs another year or two just like the previous post suggested. :coffee:
Vic Koenning is not HC caliber, but Dimel's recruits were what he had to work with. And Houston couldn't do poop with him as HC. Koenning's records and Dimel's records in Houston show this.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

fromolwyoming wrote:Agreed. DC has apologized, paid the fine, and did his suspension. Let him get back to worrying about what he was hired to do, and that is to coach the Cowboys. He wasn't hired for his personality (although it seems the team thinks pretty highly of him, going off of twitter posts) and he wasn't hired to be a media outlet. Right now he's building a program, which is coming together. Before our 1949 and 1950 years of destroying everything (Northern Colorado comes to mind), Bowden Wyatt took several years to get the program to that point. Tiller also took several years, got a 10 win season, top 25 ranking, and was more or less shoved out of the job. Went on to Purdue to be pretty damn successfull.

I'm tired of having to switch coaches every few years. Glenn, great guy, great FCS coach, will miss him, but not a FBS coach by any means. Koenning, also not a bad guy, but a horrible HC (decent DC though). And Dimel who began that mess with recruiting that made Glenn look like a great recruiter and the pool table incident and used Tiller's recruits to get the hell out of dodge. Houston learned that the hard way.1 thing is ALWAYS sure though, it takes more than a few years to build a program. DC was working with what, 65 scholarship athletes in 2010? Last year we went 8-5 (in some games that were admittedly way too close for comfort). But since he has been here, offense has improved markedly. Defense is still inconsistent, especially the secondary, but they do show life, more so than in years past.
I'm with you. One of the complaints about Glenn was that he was too loyal to his assistants. Wouldn't fire Cockhill despite year after year of inept offense schemes. HCDC has replaced both his OC and DC in an effort to find the right guy. I think most would say the OC has worked out, DC not so much, but at least he's willing to make the change. Isn't this what we wanted?

I wonder how many of those other coaches mentioned in this thread and the other one had their fortunes change by finally finding the right assistant?
YankPoke
Cowpoke

I agree COS Cowboy, once he brought in Brandon, the offense was night and day better than it was. As far as the defense goes, English was in over his head and was a great position coach and recruiter, but over his head as a DC. However I think that Tormey has good schemes and is a good defensive mind, but we do not have the type of talent to be running his scheme. The zone coverage with blitzing is great when we have the secondary athletes to be able to cover the field like that, however we only really have one good player in the secondary with Burns. I don't know if we need to see once there is more talent from last years recruiting class that has 18 people red shirting, and this years class for the defense, or if he needs to adjust and realize we just don't have the type of talent to run that scheme and start running schemes more suited to the talent we have on defense.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

YankPoke wrote:I agree COS Cowboy, once he brought in Brandon, the offense was night and day better than it was. As far as the defense goes, English was in over his head and was a great position coach and recruiter, but over his head as a DC. However I think that Tormey has good schemes and is a good defensive mind, but we do not have the type of talent to be running his scheme. The zone coverage with blitzing is great when we have the secondary athletes to be able to cover the field like that, however we only really have one good player in the secondary with Burns. I don't know if we need to see once there is more talent from last years recruiting class that has 18 people red shirting, and this years class for the defense, or if he needs to adjust and realize we just don't have the type of talent to run that scheme and start running schemes more suited to the talent we have on defense.
We only blitz a handful of times a game, if that. Though the couple of times we did blitz against the sheep, it worked quite well. One time when they ran a run play, the runner was stopped with 0 yards gained. And then a middle linebacker blitz by Hali'api'api (think I just butchered his name) where he ran right through the center, got in their QB's face, and caused enough pressure that the ball was BADLY thrown.
YankPoke
Cowpoke

I agree that we aren't blitzing enough and that the few times we do it has seemed to work especially against the sheep. I think part of that however was from the first few games when we got burned when we blitzed because our secondary couldn't cover anybody. Tormey has a scheme that is a zone blitz scheme, sort of similar to a defense like Rex Ryan and the Jets when they had it working a few years back. I think he realized that the secondary isn't talented enough to cover people when we do blitz and leave them on islands and stopped calling blitzes for the better part of the year. This is why I brought up the question he seemed to go away from his zone blitz scheme and went zone without the blitz since he was afraid of getting burned by the weak secondary on one on one coverage, so I personally think Tormey has a good scheme (when we do blitz and run it to the full extent), but we just don't have a talented enough secondary to cover people when we blitz. I think he was trying to adjust by not calling so many blitzes to not get burned, but the real problem I see is lack of talent to be able to cover man on man in the secondary to allow for the blitzing.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

agreed, I believe "most" everything DC says, he seems to be happy here and doesn't seem to be job searching, the key is if his wife likes it here that's the main thing. We are all disappointed with this years results, but things can turn around if we win out and we have to give him the benefit for next year, but next year has to have vast improvement, hands down. we have to go 7-5, 8-4 or better to have it considered a good year!! year number 5 is truly the put up or shut up year. I understand UW want a return on their $$ he's being paid, we'll see what happens in 2013 for sure.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

stymeman wrote:agreed, I believe "most" everything DC says, he seems to be happy here and doesn't seem to be job searching, the key is if his wife likes it here that's the main thing. We are all disappointed with this years results, but things can turn around if we win out and we have to give him the benefit for next year, but next year has to have vast improvement, hands down. we have to go 7-5, 8-4 or better to have it considered a good year!! year number 5 is truly the put up or shut up year. I understand UW want a return on their $$ he's being paid, we'll see what happens in 2013 for sure.
I have major concerns for our future. 2013 must be the year DC turns this ship around, or 2014 "could" be very brutal. I can't see DC winning 8 games in the next three years. This year was our chance. pretty favorable schedule.

2013: I expect to finish 7-5, MAYBE 8-4

@ Nebraska
Idaho
Northern Colorado
Texas State
Utah State
@ San Jose State
Fresno State
Colorado State
Nevada
@ Air Force
UNLV
New Mexico

2014: I expect to finish 6-6, MAYBE 7-5

Montana Grizzlies
@ Oregon Ducks
@ Michigan State Spartans
Florida Atlantic
@ Utah State
San Jose State
@Fresno State
Colorado State
@ Nevada
Air Force
@ UNLV
@ New Mexico
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

djm19 wrote:
stymeman wrote:agreed, I believe "most" everything DC says, he seems to be happy here and doesn't seem to be job searching, the key is if his wife likes it here that's the main thing. We are all disappointed with this years results, but things can turn around if we win out and we have to give him the benefit for next year, but next year has to have vast improvement, hands down. we have to go 7-5, 8-4 or better to have it considered a good year!! year number 5 is truly the put up or shut up year. I understand UW want a return on their $$ he's being paid, we'll see what happens in 2013 for sure.
I have major concerns for our future. 2013 must be the year DC turns this ship around, or 2014 "could" be very brutal. I can't see DC winning 8 games in the next three years. This year was our chance. pretty favorable schedule.

@ Nebraska
Idaho
Northern Colorado
Texas State
Utah State
@ San Jose State
Fresno State
Colorado State
Nevada
@ Air Force
UNLV
New Mexico

Montana Grizzlies
@ Oregon Ducks
Florida Atlantic
@ Utah State
San Jose State
@Fresno State
Colorado State
@ Nevada
Air Force
@ UNLV
@ New Mexico
I think those are pretty realistic expectations. But if we get back to where Wyo fans "feel" we should be as in beating utah state, and san jose state csu NM, unlv, etc. etc. and we pull out some squeekers a 10-2 record next year isn't unrealistic.
The key is though... are we better than usu, sjsu, NM, etc...
They do have a chance to make some noise next season

@ Nebraska-L
Idaho-W
Northern Colorado-W
Texas State-W
Utah State- ?
@ San Jose State- ?
Fresno State-?
Colorado State-W
Nevada-?
@ Air Force-?
UNLV-W
New Mexico-?

Not tryin to be a homer or make kool-aid for everyone for next season BUT if we get back to being better than the teams we have been better than for the last decade there is only 1 guarenteed loss. Not saying it will happen, I don't think it will, but COULD. Especially if we finish 5-7 this year
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

djm19 wrote:

@ Nebraska
Idaho
Northern Colorado
Texas State
Utah State
@ San Jose State
Fresno State
Colorado State
Nevada
@ Air Force
UNLV
New Mexico

Montana Grizzlies
@ Oregon Ducks
Florida Atlantic
@ Utah State
San Jose State
@Fresno State
Colorado State
@ Nevada
Air Force
@ UNLV
@ New Mexico

My God, can you imagine the rushing yards Oregon will put on us if we have this same run defense?
One win over a terrible Colorado State team doesn't change my opinion. Yes, it was a great win. But DC is in over his head. Time to get rid of him.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke

SDPokeFan wrote:
My God, can you imagine the rushing yards Oregon will put on us if we have this same run defense?
One win over a terrible Colorado State team doesn't change my opinion. Yes, it was a great win. But DC is in over his head. Time to get rid of him.

Don't you have an FCS team to root for?
cowboyz
Cowpoke

COS Cowboy wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:

Don't you have an FCS team to root for?
Unfortunately, I feel that I am rooting for an FCS team. Too bad we're playing an FBS schedule!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 156 times

2014 is a great opportunity. If we have a team built by then, imagine the possibilities!
W-Y, Until I Die!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote:2014 is a great opportunity. If we have a team built by then, imagine the possibilities!
Let's worry about hittin 5-7 this year then doubling that win total next year if we wanna do poop against MSU and Oregon.
But it will be nice that there will be a 4 team playoff and we will have Heisman winning QB Brett Smith, and have wins over2 top 10 teams so that will boost us into number 4, so we are in the playoffs :)
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.