Where are the Boo birds?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Have you noticed that since the Pokes started their 3 game win streak that certain complainers are nowhere to be found? Where's Dino, SDPokeFan and Wyoming fishing?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Would've been nice to have been 8-3 (winning the games we should have won), and there would've been a lot less whining overall. :(
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

If Smith hadn't gotten a concussion against Toledo (f-word you MAC refs), I think this season goes much differently than it did.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

COS Cowboy wrote:Have you noticed that since the Pokes started their 3 game win streak that certain complainers are nowhere to be found? Where's Dino, SDPokeFan and Wyoming fishing?
Didn't somebody report they were caught in a circle jerk last week, without the mandatory pivot guy?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

It's not all sunlight and there are still going to be issues with recruiting this year (and maybe for the next few). That said, it is pretty clear that DC bought himself at least another year with the string of wins. Brett Smith masks a lot of our deficiencies. But damn am I happy he is on our team!

I think we ran Dino off. He is a self-absorbed jerk that has been exposed for lacking any sort of insight or logical sense. Although, he might be busy working on his new house in Jackson, so he can get away from all of the liberal tinged folk around other parts of the state and on Wyonation and to be in the real "Wyoming" that he "knows and loves."

I saw Wyoming Fishing at the dock of Lake Absaraka the other day, looks like he caught a sunfish or two. Tom Burman was not there with him.

SDPokeFan is busy updating his FCS football bracket (that Wofford game could go either way and sure is exciting :roll: )...but he really doesn't seem to be a bad guy, just some ridiculous views.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote:It's not all sunlight and there are still going to be issues with recruiting this year (and maybe for the next few). That said, it is pretty clear that DC bought himself at least another year with the string of wins. Brett Smith masks a lot of our deficiencies. But damn am I happy he is on our team!

I'm with you, it's not all good, but for me every victory no matter how meaningless is cause for celebration (hell, every touchdown is). I would love to just celebrate the national championships or even just the conference championships, but I'd be pretty disappointed most of the time. Guess that's where these guys come from.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

COS Cowboy wrote:Have you noticed that since the Pokes started their 3 game win streak that certain complainers are nowhere to be found? Where's Dino, SDPokeFan and Wyoming fishing?
i never saw 2/3 of those mentioned "complain" about the pokes losing.....in fact they seemed quite excited
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote:Would've been nice to have been 8-3 (winning the games we should have won), and there would've been a lot less whining overall. :(
Remember when I said WITH brett smith we are a top 20-30 team and everyone jumped down my throat calling me a moron and a homer and saying that our D is too terrible to be top25?
And I said it didn't matter what our D was if we were winning games. With Brett not getting injured we are 8-3 fighting for 9-3.
But since he did get injured we are not.
Yet when one thing goes wrong everyone calls for Tormeys head and says we need to fire him and that we are a poop team.
Yet if brett smith had not been injured, we are 8-3 and people are saying our D is maybe the same as last years. Oh and guess what we would probably be recieving votes too.
Hmm...
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

BeaverPoke wrote:Remember when I said WITH brett smith we are a top 20-30 team and everyone jumped down my throat calling me a moron and a homer and saying that our D is too terrible to be top25?
And I said it didn't matter what our D was if we were winning games. With Brett not getting injured we are 8-3 fighting for 9-3.
Yet when one thing goes wrong everyone calls for Tormeys head and says we need to fire him and that we are a poop team.
Yet if brett smith had not been injured, we are 8-3 and people are saying our D is maybe the same as last years. Oh and guess what we would probably be recieving votes too.
Hmm...
Don't break your arm patting yourself too hard on the back! :lol:

Tormey sucks. Regardless of Brett Smith. No corrolation.

As a friend of mine who coached DB's when Paul Roach was HC once told me..."That was the easiest job I have ever had. All we had to do was to keep the other team under 40, knowing our offense would win the game for us." Unfortunately, that mentality (blended with the second half patented DC pants pissing strategy) will never result in conference championships or top 25 rankings.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Vapoke
Cowpoke

I for one have never called for DC's head, but these are all his recruits, so there should be no excuse. I still don't think Tormey is the answer and I never thought English was good either. It is frustrating to see teams go from last in defense to at least 60th in one year based on coaching. One can look no further than Michigan and Brady Hoke. A decent defense would create momentum shifts, which is evident Wyoming did not have this season. I got to see one game in person other than on TV and that was Air Force. The defense lacked heart. Huff finally showed some this weekend, and Anderson did the same against Cal Poly chasing down the running back.
We can all blame it on recruiting, but Wyoming had a top 10 defense with less talent than we have now. Breske just knew how to scheme and make guys look like super stars. Wyoming has always had a hard time recruiting with the "big" boys. But Shyatt recruits to find those diamonds in the rough types. Wyoming has always had players that played with a chip for not being recruited ala Brett Smith, or Taylor Heineke here at ODU. He was not recruited at all yet was a Gatorade Player of the Year like Smith, but didn't have the size or talent to play.
Guy Tuell was one of the smallest weakside linebackers ever, but he sure went out and gave 110% every play, and I don't see it from our defense at all minus Purcell. I would like to see some heart and chip on the shoulder types on defense. The defense still does not look good especially the secondary. Let's see how things go. If Tormey does leave for Idaho I believe we need to find a up and coming LB coach or DB coach that coaches on a great defense. Even look at the FCS ranks.
Just my thoughts I am sure some people will try and tear them apart, but lets be honest, the truth is in front of us. Tormey needs to find a way to fire his players up. Glenn sure knew how, like kicking the refs hat in his face during the BYU game.

"Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard."
cowboyz
Cowpoke

BeaverPoke wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:Would've been nice to have been 8-3 (winning the games we should have won), and there would've been a lot less whining overall. :(
Remember when I said WITH brett smith we are a top 20-30 team and everyone jumped down my throat calling me a moron and a homer and saying that our D is too terrible to be top25?
Hmm...
I would say that everyone who posts on this board are glad to see the Pokes winning again, regardless of the competition. But if some of them are anything like me, they are just too, for lack of a better word, deflated, to get too excited about where we are. I am REAL happy for the boys on the field. With what they've been dealt, injuries, coach going a bit mad, etc., they're keeping it together and making sure the season didn't become a total disaster. They deserve all the credit for pulling the season totally out of the poop.

I wasn't one that called you a moron or jumped down your throat when you said we'd be a top 20-30 team with a healthy Brett. In fact, I don't even remember you saying it. But as you've said it again, I have to say we are not even a little bit close to a top 20-30 team with a healthy Brett. Beating 3 mediocre to bad teams and allowing them to average over 500 yards on us, is just not a top 30 program. I also don't see where you are finding all of these wins. I'll give you Cal Poly. With Brett, most would see that as the easy-ish game it should have been. With Air Force, you can't blame he QB at all for that loss. Jason was 23/36 with no INTs and 75 yards rushing. But, I think your best player is good for at least 2 points, so I'll give you that as well. That gives us 6-5 heading into SDSU. I can't give you Toledo. Brett was in for almost the entire game. He had his chances. He only missed the last 2 drives. On the first we scored a TD, so no harm there. It's nice to believe, but you can't assume that with a couple minutes left he would have driven us down the field to win the game. He may have, but he may have also thrown a 3rd INT. And who's to say Toledo wouldn't have then driven down and scored as time ran out. Not to mention that if their kicker didn't miss 2 relatively close FG attempts, they would have dropped 40 on us.

This team is so much better with Brett on the field. Not just his talent, but his leadership as well. But Top 30, not yet.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

Vapoke wrote:Guy Tuell was one of the smallest weakside linebackers ever, but he sure went out and gave 110% every play, and I don't see it from our defense at all minus Purcell. I would like to see some heart and chip on the shoulder types on defense.
I would also put Ghaali Muhammad in this category. That guy plays wide open every play. I hope his brother will do the same for us.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

cowboyz wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Hmm...
I would say that everyone who posts on this board are glad to see the Pokes winning again, regardless of the competition. But if some of them are anything like me, they are just too, for lack of a better word, deflated, to get too excited about where we are. I am REAL happy for the boys on the field. With what they've been dealt, injuries, coach going a bit mad, etc., they're keeping it together and making sure the season didn't become a total disaster. They deserve all the credit for pulling the season totally out of the poop.

I wasn't one that called you a moron or jumped down your throat when you said we'd be a top 20-30 team with a healthy Brett. In fact, I don't even remember you saying it. But as you've said it again, I have to say we are not even a little bit close to a top 20-30 team with a healthy Brett. Beating 3 mediocre to bad teams and allowing them to average over 500 yards on us, is just not a top 30 program. I also don't see where you are finding all of these wins. I'll give you Cal Poly. With Brett, most would see that as the easy-ish game it should have been. With Air Force, you can't blame he QB at all for that loss. Jason was 23/36 with no INTs and 75 yards rushing. But, I think your best player is good for at least 2 points, so I'll give you that as well. That gives us 6-5 heading into SDSU. I can't give you Toledo. Brett was in for almost the entire game. He had his chances. He only missed the last 2 drives. On the first we scored a TD, so no harm there. It's nice to believe, but you can't assume that with a couple minutes left he would have driven us down the field to win the game. He may have, but he may have also thrown a 3rd INT. And who's to say Toledo wouldn't have then driven down and scored as time ran out. Not to mention that if their kicker didn't miss 2 relatively close FG attempts, they would have dropped 40 on us.

This team is so much better with Brett on the field. Not just his talent, but his leadership as well. But Top 30, not yet.
The 4 games I'm thinking are
1. Toledo. Brett gets us into the endzone on that last drive. We win.
2. Cal Poly. Everyone agrees with Brett, we destroy these guys.
3. Nevada, didn't we just need 1 first down to get it? Brett puts those guys away.
4. AFA. Yes, Thompson had a good game, no blame on him there at all. But in my mind thinking that we score the same amount of points with Smith as Thompson is foolish. We lost by 1. With Brett Smith we win by 6 to 13.

The Toledo game is the only 1 I would call a "toss-up".
But Nevada, and especially cal poly and air force are not 1 or 2 point games with brett smith.
Brett Smith will always out perform our backups. Plain and simple.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Ghaali was a great find. He does play tough. 2 guys can't quite carry the defense though.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Vapoke wrote:Ghaali was a great find. He does play tough. 2 guys can't quite carry the defense though.

Mike Purcell DT (though Eddie Yarborough is growing into his position rather well).
Ghaali Muhammed LB (and Korey Jones isn't too far behind).
Blair Burns CB (the other DBs show flashes of what they can really do, but no where near enough).
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Blair Burns has not proven himself yet. Great freshman campaign, but he also had a D-lIne that could create some pressure, he hasn't shown me the ability to be a lock down corner like Derrick Martin. Derrick Martin dominated Air Force every year, and could shut down a WR easily. Still sticking with Purcell and Ghaali. I do think Reese is going to grow into his own though, showing good ability, and leads the team in INT's.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Vapoke wrote:Blair Burns has not proven himself yet. Great freshman campaign, but he also had a D-lIne that could create some pressure, he hasn't shown me the ability to be a lock down corner like Derrick Martin. Derrick Martin dominated Air Force every year, and could shut down a WR easily. Still sticking with Purcell and Ghaali. I do think Reese is going to grow into his own though, showing good ability, and leads the team in INT's.
And if Burns had alligator arms, he would be leading with ints. Seriously, he's broken up so many passes and nearly had the ball, it's ridiculous.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

cowboyz wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Hmm...

Well put, couldn't agree more.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Ok, so if we were to be a top25 team next year what do we need to do?
Obviously first things first, have brett smith start and finish all 12 games.

Second, as bad as our D might be, do we need to blow teams out? Beat UNLV and CSU 63-23? I agree with everyone else that it is frustrating when DC takes his foot off the gas. A lot of top25 poop is just hype. Actually it is all hype.

So if the voters see Wyoming is winning by 20-40 every game, and see that Brett Smith week in week out is throwing for 300 yards and 4 TD's, like Geno Smith was earlier in the season, do the voters all of a sudden think we have a top 10 offense in the country?

Do we just knock off Nebraska in game 1 who is going to be top25 preseason? Then we start getting votes then just take care of business each week whether it is a 30-29 win or it is a 50-10 win.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Like I said in another thread- our problem is that Brett Smith is the most talented person, not just player, on the team. Still have yet to see DC coach a game from kick-off to final gun.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory