Gameday boys and girls! Think we can pull off the upset?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

The last few games have all been really close, despite some Aztec fans claiming they have a great team.

2009-Aztecs favored to win in San Diego. Wyoming rallies from a 24 point deficeit to win 30-27.
2010-Aztecs "magical season" comes to Wyoming and barely escapes a shootout, 48-38, despite several turnovers.
2011-Pokes head to San Diego as big underdogs, and expected to turn the ball over a lot. Pokes just obliterate SDSU's vaunted defense in the first half for 30 points and over 300 yards, but stall in the second half. Defense holds on to win, again, 30-27.

Which brings us to today. I think we may see another shootout, as Rocky's defense has struggles a lot against the spread offense, and Brett Smith has been slicing up defenses the last few games. SDSU's passing attack will most likely be minimal (starting QB is out and their current one has a 58% completetion rate), and they will focus more on the power run game.

Keys to this game for the Pokes:
1. Stuff the run.
Stop the run game and force them to throw on 3rd and long. The defense will need to keep tight coverage, and the D-line will need to get pressure up front to really make a difference.
2. No giving the ball back on turnovers. The Pokes, Smith especially, have been really good about this the last few games, but they still need to continue with it.
3. If it still works, DON'T fix it. The reason our offense has stalled so much in the second half is that we change our game plan from one that worked to one that hasn't. UNLV, Brett Smith had 400 yards passing and 3 TDs. He easily could have had over 500 yards through the air and 6 TDs had he kept throwing in the second half. Instead, we run it on 1st, 2nd, and even on 3rd and long situations for some reason, when only up by less than a TD with ovr 5 minutes to go. We NEED to keep jamming it down their defense's throat with what works.
AfiPoke
Cowpoke

This game is definitely winnable. Does anyone know what the weather is going to be like today?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

AfiPoke wrote:This game is definitely winnable. Does anyone know what the weather is going to be like today?
Mid 50s, windy.
AfiPoke
Cowpoke

Contrasting this to the 99 game is pretty interesting. Not a total role reversal (as SDSU is run heavy and we are pass happy again) but, the situation isn't dissimilar.

Glad it will be on TV.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I only wish it was on TV outside of Wyoming/Rootsports.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

Wyo2dal wrote:I only wish it was on TV outside of Wyoming/Rootsports.
Wyo2dal, don't we get the game on direct tv channel 683?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

I don't have direct TV for multiple reasons but the main is Mtn Network was on Cox Communication so I never needed to look into different options. I might have to look into the smallest package possible next year just for Wyoming Sports and that completely blows.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand

Hello Cowboys, needing a stream out here in Michigan....Root is shut down for SDSU game. I have a choice of Airfarce and who cares! hoping for a connection!
:willybs:
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

I'm going to look all over and see what I can find but ya I'm in the same exact boat :( so ordered Direct TV so I won't be in the dark all basketball season when things are on Root and of course that means everyone will have games online again when I can do so.

We'll see how it goes.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

52 degrees and clear. This global warming poop is legit, huh?
AfiPoke
Cowpoke

Wyo2dal wrote:I'm going to look all over and see what I can find but ya I'm in the same exact boat :( so ordered Direct TV so I won't be in the dark all basketball season when things are on Root and of course that means everyone will have games online again when I can do so.

We'll see how it goes.
Yeah, Colorado/UW game on Root at 10 tonight too!
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

AfiPoke wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:I'm going to look all over and see what I can find but ya I'm in the same exact boat :( so ordered Direct TV so I won't be in the dark all basketball season when things are on Root and of course that means everyone will have games online again when I can do so.

We'll see how it goes.
Yeah, Colorado/UW game on Root at 10 tonight too!
No that game is next week 12/1
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

J-Rod wrote:52 degrees and clear. This global warming poop is legit, huh?
No. God made the weather for today in Laramie nice because he understood that SDSU fans are wusses and couldn't take the cold and nice weather would make them feel a little better when their team gets hammered.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy

Direct tv blacked out the game in Phoenix. God, it's hard to be a Pokes fan.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

phxpoke wrote:Direct tv blacked out the game in Phoenix. God, it's hard to be a Pokes fan.
Damn more of a reason to not get Direct TV if that happens a lot.

As usual I can stream the audio but once again no video Wyoming living in the 90's with no video anywhere.
HellBass
Buckaroo

Blacked out on directv in Columbia, MO too...WTF!
Powder River, Let 'er Buck!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Reason #1 Why Wyoming will never reach the next level as a program...

Our piss poor attendance.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy

Just found it on 691!
HellBass
Buckaroo

I confirm it's on 691 directv
Powder River, Let 'er Buck!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

phxpoke wrote:Just found it on 691!
Now I have that reason to get Directv back again. What's your address I'll be right over :popcorn: