Writing on the Wall

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Let's not wait 3 season like Marshall did, come on Burman and DC. A good coach would have made this defense at least top 70 not dead last.
Out of the Herd: Marshall’s DC resigns

Posted by John Taylor on November 25, 2012, 11:21 AM EST

In Marshall’s season finale Friday, the Herd scored 59 points… and lost after giving up 65 to East Carolina.

A day later, the man in charge of that toothless defense has found himself out of a job.

In a press release, Marshall announced that Chris Rippon had resigned (winkwinknudgenudge) his position as the Herd’s defensive coordinator. The move was effective immedtaiely.

“I would like to thank Chris for all of his service to our program,” said head coach Doc Holliday (pictured) in a statement. “We wish him and his family the best.”

Rippon had spent the last three seasons leading the Herd’s defense.

Entering this weekend’s game, Marshall was 120th in scoring defense and 99th in total defense. In Rippon’s three seasons with the program, the Herd never finished higher than 71st in either of those categories.

Sounds a lot like Wyoming to me. Actually he sounds like an upgrade over Tormey.
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

Is the Idaho job still open I will gladly write Chris Tormey a glowing reference letter?
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

PokePride.com wrote:Is the Idaho job still open I will gladly write Chris Tormey a glowing reference letter?
Ill give him a glowing reference as well.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

Man deserves more than a year.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

No more than the fans deserve a winning program, and the kids deserve a good coach.

Harsh as it sounds, no one DESERVES to get another year. If that were the case we'd still have Glenn, no one tried harder to connect with fans, no one deserved a good shake than he did, but in the end-its results that matter.

Burman doesn't DESERVE to be AD either. There is never a great time for a transition, but f there was to be a transition, the present is always better than too late..
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

WyoAlum1987 wrote:No more than the fans deserve a winning program, and the kids deserve a good coach.

Harsh as it sounds, no one DESERVES to get another year. If that were the case we'd still have Glenn, no one tried harder to connect with fans, no one deserved a good shake than he did, but in the end-its results that matter.

Burman doesn't DESERVE to be AD either. There is never a great time for a transition, but f there was to be a transition, the present is always better than too late..
So, no one at all deserves another year? Okay then, say we fired Tiller after his first year or two because his results weren't very good. Then 1996 never happens and our best reciever EVER never wins an award (Marcus Harris winning the Biletnekoff in 1996).

Lloyd Eaton never takes us to the Sugar Bowl and never has some of the best rush defenses in the NCAA history.

Bowden Wyatt is fired after a couple years because he was trying to build a program and it never happens, which means the NCAA record against Northern Colorado happens (103-0) and our first ever bowl game never happens, and Wyoming is regulated to being Colorado State, minus the Sonny Lubbick years.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Vapoke wrote:Let's not wait 3 season like Marshall did, come on Burman and DC. A good coach would have made this defense at least top 70 not dead last.
Out of the Herd: Marshall’s DC resigns

Posted by John Taylor on November 25, 2012, 11:21 AM EST

In Marshall’s season finale Friday, the Herd scored 59 points… and lost after giving up 65 to East Carolina.

A day later, the man in charge of that toothless defense has found himself out of a job.

In a press release, Marshall announced that Chris Rippon had resigned (winkwinknudgenudge) his position as the Herd’s defensive coordinator. The move was effective immedtaiely.

“I would like to thank Chris for all of his service to our program,” said head coach Doc Holliday (pictured) in a statement. “We wish him and his family the best.”

Rippon had spent the last three seasons leading the Herd’s defense.

Entering this weekend’s game, Marshall was 120th in scoring defense and 99th in total defense. In Rippon’s three seasons with the program, the Herd never finished higher than 71st in either of those categories.

Sounds a lot like Wyoming to me. Actually he sounds like an upgrade over Tormey.
Might as well fire Louisiana Tech's coach also! He had a good winning season, but it was THE worst D in the Country!!! Bar Nun! And amazingly they were worse than Wyo's D.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

OK I can see people defending DC somewhat, but people defending Tormey and that joke defense is flat-out insanity.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

Ol Wyoming
You are full of BS on this one.

DC has the second worst winning percentage in the post Eaton era. (next to Koenning). Thats right, even Dimel and Glenn were better by this point.

Our defense was PATHETIC.

Its OK for you to suck on a turd and call it chocolate...but trying to get the rest of us to believe you is a fools errand.

I remember when the Pokes were ranked. I remember watching the pokes play in bowls that meant something, and for some of you all to get on here and argue that the people responsible for this poop are deserving of another year...

You are embracing mediocrity.

Suck the turd olewyo=but dont tell me how good it is
I know better
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

WyoAlum1987 wrote:Ol Wyoming

DC has the second worst winning percentage in the post Eaton era. (next to Koenning). Thats right, even Dimel and Glenn were better by this point.

Its OK for you to suck on a turd and call it chocolate...but trying to get the rest of us to believe you is a fools errand.

I remember when the Pokes were ranked. I remember watching the pokes play in bowls that meant something, and for some of you all to get on here and argue that the people responsible for this poop are deserving of another year...

I know better
Wrong. Koenning .147 Shurmur .341 Lewis .414 Akers .435 Christensen .44 Glenn.441
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I know better
You were probably that asshole that was still bitching! c-word like you were probably the guys responsible for running tiller off!
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

I know better
So, as was pointed out, you're the one full of BS. Koening, Shurmer, and Akers all had worse winning records. Joe Glenn's offenses were some of the worst we had after Bouknight graduated. Second half offenses this year, yeah, couldn't do anything this year. However a difference of 13 points in about 4 games is all that seperates us from a bowl game and knocking Cal Poly, Air Force, Reno, and Toledo. So yeah, the defense certainly has issues, but the offense proved they could score.

And guess what, Tiller, yeah, not much in defense but used a high powered offense, much like what DC is doing (in fact Tiller is giving DC pointers).
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

OlWyo

You are right, I forgot Shurmer -since he inherited the Eaton blowout, lets start the date with him...
So since 1974
NEARLY 40 YEARS
only one coach sucked this bad-and he was fired after two years.

{I refuse to give you Eaton- he is only one tenth of a percent worse than DC and he turned the Pokes around in 2 short years (2-9, 8-4) and was hired away by Texas. Given another year, he would have been much better}

So in 40 years, only one coach has sucked this bad...
your boy DC
keep suckin that turd boy...
it is what it is.....
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

WyoAlum1987 wrote:OlWyo

You are right, I forgot Shurmer -since he inherited the Eaton blowout, lets start the date with him...
So since 1974
NEARLY 40 YEARS

{I refuse to give you Eaton- he is only one tenth of a percent worse than DC and he turned the Pokes around in 2 short years (2-9, 8-4) and was hired away by Texas. Given another year, he would have been much better}

your boy DC
it is what it is.....
Yeah, Koening had SUCH a great 3 year reign when we went 5 wins in 3 years. Glenn, he could get a good non-conference win or two, but then in conference, yeah that didn't work so well. We had 0 offense and the defense was on the field the majority of the time, and Glenn didn't really recruit anyone his final 2 years.
Koening tried, but failed, hard.
But Koening inherited Dimel's mess (Dimel rode Tiller's recruits to get a hire at Houston, where he subsequently failed badly).

In 4 years, we've been to 2 bowls and finished 3rd in the conference last year. Our offense, can actually move the ball and score points. We have a kicker that can knock back for a touchback consistently.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

So since 1974
NEARLY 40 YEARS

your boy DC
it is what it is.....
Wrong alum. Eaton was not hired away by Texas. That was Fred Akers. Eaton left before Shurmur was hired. There was this thing called the Black 14.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

Yeah,
I get in too big a hurry when my wife is trying to get me off the computer. ;) :oops:
Eaton/ Shurmer is like the same bad dream. Eaton had it going well.. I remember the Pokes kicking the crap out of Arizona and Arizona State, Colorado, and the rest....UW was even on (Black & White :lol: ) TV..

the we had the Black 14, the next year Eaton quit and Shurmer inherited a mess of a program that spiraled into a punching bag in the early 70's. Shurmer has a worse winning percentage than DC its true..but that was 1974 :roll: .

Then Akers turned UW around and got hired by Texas he also has a worse winning percentage than DC (by a tenth of a percent)-but he was only here two years and was 8-4 after a 2-9 start...and there were no cream puff FCS teams on the schedule back then either. So Olwyo saying that DC is a better coach than Akers flies in the face of reality :willybs: . After that, we had a pretty decent program. Roach and Tiller years were especially enjoyable for me.. :)

Ol' DC has had four years (and a dozen cream puffs on his schedule) and he still has the worst winning percentage during that time of any coach who coached that long or longer-IN 40 YEARS!! :tickedoff:

He wont pretend to like the state, wont make adjustments at halftime, wont control his temper, wont stop throwing his kids under the bus, wont stop losing good kids from the program, wont stop plugging holes with JC retreads and ..NEWSFLASH..he's not going to stop losing.... :coffee:

BUt DC is a symptom of a bigger problem.

The heart of the problem is our AD. Burman is a politician more concerned with his own reputation than the reputation of UW athletics, as a result he has no cajones, no vision, and a willingness to lie to the public and throw others under the bus.

He was so afraid DC would jilt him last year and head to Houston -that he awarded a very mediocre coach with a 5 year- million dollar a year contract. WITH NO WAY OUT.

Burman's "we are what we are"...still sticks in my craw :cry: . We need an AD that demands consistent excellence and is willing work 24/7 and go to war or fall on their sword to get it!

Another huge part of our problem is fans that make arguments like the one olewyo just made....

Gene Chizik started in Auburn the same year DC started in Laramie. Chizik won a national championship for Auburn. DC won the New Mexico Bowl for UW.After a national championship and a 33-19 record, Chizik was fired because he couldnt sustain excellence (8-5, 14-0, 8-5, 3-9). Thats what Auburn expects of its athletic programs from the AD to the lowliest fan.

But we are blessed with fans that think DC AND HIS ENTIRE COACHING STAFF deserve another year..Tom Burman thinks DC deserves another 5 years.

Theres a lesson here...until our fans start demanding excellence, and our leaders start demanding excellence we will never be excellent.
We will continue to be embarrassed by teams who DO demand excellence...because there is little pressure on anyone to do anything but throw the occasional scapegoat under the bus and say "We are what we are... :cry: "

some of you are sucking on a turd and calling it chocolate...

but you need to stop talking with your mouth full

stop telling the rest of us that we are some kind of ******ing Howdy Doody's if we dont settle for this crapfest and demand excellence-

Our AD and coach are both terrible. They need to be replaced as soon as someone in Old Main grows a brain or a backbone
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

fromolwyoming wrote:

So since 1974
NEARLY 40 YEARS

your boy DC
it is what it is.....
Yeah, Koening had SUCH a great 3 year reign when we went 5 wins in 3 years. Glenn, he could get a good non-conference win or two, but then in conference, yeah that didn't work so well. We had 0 offense and the defense was on the field the majority of the time, and Glenn didn't really recruit anyone his final 2 years.
But Koening inherited Dimel's mess (Dimel rode Tiller's recruits to get a hire at Houston, where he subsequently failed badly).

In 4 years, we've been to 2 bowls and finished 3rd in the conference last year. Our offense, can actually move the ball and score points. We have a kicker that can knock back for a touchback consistently.
You're always doggin' Glenn as I do DC. Dog him all you want, but at this point in both of their careers at Wyoming Glenn had a better record than DC, his team gave up less points and they scored more points. You look ridiculous whenever you compare the two. It's cool if you want to support DC and say we have a great offense (we don't, in scoring we're bottom half in the country and in the MWC), but comparing him to someone that did better in the key categories of wins, scoring points and preventing points doesn't compute. And let's not get too excited about these bowl games. Okay, they are exciting and I go to them, but they hand out the invitations like lollypops now. Remember, Glenn could have had two bowls games in his first 4 years when our record was bowl eligible, we beat NM in the season and finished ahead of them in the conference. They gave the bid to NM as they could draw more fans. Tiller's teams missed out on bowl games even though most of them were what would be bowl eligible today. Nowadays a failed season is not going to a bowl game, as there are certainly enough of them to reward a decent season.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

cowboyz wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:

So since 1974
NEARLY 40 YEARS

your boy DC
it is what it is.....

You're always doggin' Glenn as I do DC. Dog him all you want, but at this point in both of their careers at Wyoming Glenn had a better record than DC, his team gave up less points and they scored more points. You look ridiculous whenever you compare the two. It's cool if you want to support DC and say we have a great offense (we don't, in scoring we're bottom half in the country and in the MWC), but comparing him to someone that did better in the key categories of wins, scoring points and preventing points doesn't compute. And let's not get too excited about these bowl games. Okay, they are exciting and I go to them, but they hand out the invitations like lollypops now. Remember, Glenn could have had two bowls games in his first 4 years when our record was bowl eligible, we beat NM in the season and finished ahead of them in the conference. They gave the bid to NM as they could draw more fans. Tiller's teams missed out on bowl games even though most of them were what would be bowl eligible today. Nowadays a failed season is not going to a bowl game, as there are certainly enough of them to reward a decent season.
Not dogging Glenn so much as stating facts. After 2006, what did his teams do? His defenses were better, but that is attributed to Mike Breske (currently at Washington State). His offenses continously sputtered and the defense was on the field too long to make much difference. Glenn had 5 years, 1 bowl game, and refused to make any coaching changes. DC has made coaching changes after at least 2 years, if a certain side of the ball isn't performing properly.

And no matter how awful the defense was this year, it's nearly impossible to completely change a defense around in 1 year unless you have all the pieces in place like DeRuyter did (Pat Hill knew talent when he saw it, that much to his credit).
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

fromolwyoming wrote:
cowboyz wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:

So since 1974
NEARLY 40 YEARS

your boy DC
it is what it is.....

Not dogging Glenn so much as stating facts. After 2006, what did his teams do? His defenses were better, but that is attributed to Mike Breske (currently at Washington State). His offenses continously sputtered and the defense was on the field too long to make much difference. Glenn had 5 years, 1 bowl game, and refused to make any coaching changes. DC has made coaching changes after at least 2 years, if a certain side of the ball isn't performing properly.

And no matter how awful the defense was this year, it's nearly impossible to completely change a defense around in 1 year unless you have all the pieces in place like DeRuyter did (Pat Hill knew talent when he saw it, that much to his credit).
Exactly, Glenn's teams started getting worse and we held on too long. That's what I'm worried about now. DCs performance has been a notch under Glenn so far and I don't want to have to start over in a couple years, I'd rather get it going now. Why didn't we give Vic more time? Because looking at the body of work it was apparant he wasn't going to get it done. With DC and Glenn before him, it wasn't so apparant. That's why there are two camps, the let's flush him now and the let's give him some more time. I happen to be in the let's flush him now camp. For me, at least, Glenn made it a more enjoyable overall experience. Saturday's were a bit of a downer : ) But the rest of time I felt a little better as a Pokes fan. Now it all just seems sort of sad or pathetic. I guess I feel as if the team has no identity.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I think you guys are high! Zero chance of him being let go right now, move on. We'll have a way better sense after next year
W-Y, Until I Die!