Jerron Granberry

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

Might as well start this watch since the transfer thread turned into a Scholly argument.

Read an article yesterday in which Granberry had high interest in Wyoming because of his relationships. He was recruited by Shyatt, Edwards, and played for Jeremy Shyatt. Oh... And is best friends with Hankerson.

If this kid visits and is offered, I think the Cowboys get him. Even with him gaining Interest from ACC schools. Hopefully we can get both he and Muhammad.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Two things I don't like about Granberry.
1: He only has one year, so we get to utilize whatever he can give us in that year.
2: He was not considered a "great" player in the A-SUN, so Why do we think he will be a great player in the MWC, a more competitive league?

If we do get him, will he excel? Or will he be avg at best, maybe 7 or8 ppg kind of guy?
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

If we can sign both him and Muhammad then I say go for it. If not, I prefer Muhammad too.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

kansasCowboy wrote:Two things I don't like about Granberry.
1: He only has one year, so we get to utilize whatever he can give us in that year.
2: He was not considered a "great" player in the A-SUN, so Why do we think he will be a great player in the MWC, a more competitive league?

If we do get him, will he excel? Or will he be avg at best, maybe 7 or8 ppg kind of guy?

In regards to those issues:

1. I actually think this is one of the benefits that the staff sees in Granberry. As currently constructed we only have one scholarship to give in the class of 2014 and we would probably like to have the flexibility of adding two players next year instead of just one (Sobey will be the only senior next year of the current roster). Colorado has a pretty decent sized cadre of D1/MWC level prospects in the Class of 2014 and we are hoping to land a couple I believe. Not that we wouldn't sign a HS kid (Muhammad) or a JC (we offered Curtis and Hunter, possibly others), but Granberry might actually help more class wise and is probably a safer bet to be able to contribute next year when we have a significant need on the wing.

2. Depends on what you consider to be a "great" player in the A-SUN. Coming into this season he was named pre-season all-conference in the Atlantic Sun by the coaches/media. He also has started since his freshman year and led his team in scoring through his first two years (Parker Smith emerged as a force for them last year). I don't think that anyone would reasonably expect him to be a "great" player in the MWC (all-conference, etc.), but I think he could step in as a capable starter. He hit almost 40% of his 3's (39.7%) as a junior in the A-SUN (not the MWC, but a much higher level of competition than even the best JC league) and should have the size at 6'5" 210 to get his shot off even against MWC defenders. Doesn't appear to be a dynamic slasher or playmaker, but should help to space the floor as Hankerson and Nance draw attention from extra defenders.

I certainly would have no problem with the staff bringing in Rashad Muhammad or a JC, but I see a lot of benefits from Granberry as well.
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

I read that Granberry is on campus this weekend. Too many connections not to get him.

If we offer and he takes it, are we done?
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

I am not so sure I like Granberry after looking at some of his numbers in games he has played. All he does is shoot the 3 ball. He might make one 2 point shot a game and sometimes none.

He looks like he is probably a streaky shooter with more bad games than good games. I saw multiple games against (good competition) which was out of conference competition in which he shot like 2-12 or 1-10 or 2-13 from the 3 point line. The teams he was playing against would be teams that would be like a top 40 type team that he would see in the MWC. I didn't look at his conference games as much because the competition isn't quite as good. He must have had his better games against his conference foes.

I thought at first he may be a good pick up but after breaking down his stats in more detail he looks to just be someone who shoots LOTS of 3's and doesn't seem to hit a very high percentage of them against the type of competition he will see in the MWC.

Now on the flip side I would think Wyoming probably has better players than most of the teams in the A-Sun so that might open up better opportunities for him to get a good look or a good shot up. He is also a senior so he could help provide leadership. He also could prove me wrong and start shooting better against better competition this next year if we do get him. Just basing it off of his past against decent competition though all we will be getting is a guy that likes to chuck up shots and we have to hope he is having a good game or he will shoot us out of it.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

seattlecowboy wrote:I am not so sure I like Granberry after looking at some of his numbers in games he has played. All he does is shoot the 3 ball. He might make one 2 point shot a game and sometimes none.

He looks like he is probably a streaky shooter with more bad games than good games. I saw multiple games against (good competition) which was out of conference competition in which he shot like 2-12 or 1-10 or 2-13 from the 3 point line. The teams he was playing against would be teams that would be like a top 40 type team that he would see in the MWC. I didn't look at his conference games as much because the competition isn't quite as good. He must have had his better games against his conference foes.

I thought at first he may be a good pick up but after breaking down his stats in more detail he looks to just be someone who shoots LOTS of 3's and doesn't seem to hit a very high percentage of them against the type of competition he will see in the MWC.

Now on the flip side I would think Wyoming probably has better players than most of the teams in the A-Sun so that might open up better opportunities for him to get a good look or a good shot up. He is also a senior so he could help provide leadership. He also could prove me wrong and start shooting better against better competition this next year if we do get him. Just basing it off of his past against decent competition though all we will be getting is a guy that likes to chuck up shots and we have to hope he is having a good game or he will shoot us out of it.
I saw those stats as well and they did concern me, but consider the following comparison of players in their junior seasons:

1. Player A: 11.8 ppg, 37.7% FG (116/308), 33.5 3FG% (81/242), 80% FT (64/80), eFG%= 50.8%, True Shooting%=54.5%

2. Player B: 10.9 ppg, 37.5% FG (98/261), 39.4% 3FG% (76/193), 74.4% FT (67/90), eFG% = 52.1%, TS% = 55.8%

Now, granted the first player played against a tougher schedule (RPI SOS rank of 96 compared to 190 for Player B), so that needs to be taken into account. However, to me they stack up pretty well. Player A took 78.5% of their attempts from beyond the arc and Player B took 74% of their attempts behind the arc. Player B got to the line a little more often, but wasn't as efficient at the line.

Obviously Player B is Granberry and Player A is Luke Martinez. Not trying to say that Granberry is as good as Luke. In addition to the SOS, Luke had a far greater statistical impact on defense (higher steal and rebound rate). However, as a 5th year senior with good size for the position, I think Granberry could really fill that role of perimeter shooter for the Pokes next year. If he comes to UW his primary competition will be Nate Sobey. A little tough to compare Sobey's numbers in his Junior season to the other two because he saw less playing time, but his shooting numbers are in the same ballpark as the other two (57.2% TS) with rebound and steal rate numbers comparable to Granberry but below Luke and a turnover rate significantly higher than the other two. Obviously Sobey played a relatively large amount of minutes against tough competition as well.

Anyway, I think Granberry would be a solid addition and set up the scholarship matrix in a more advantageous fashion. I could see a 5 man perimeter rotation of Grabau, Adams, Hankerson, Granberry, and Sobey next year with all 5 seeing significant time.
wyofan4life5
Ranch Hand

Will he have to sit out next year eligibility wise?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

wyofan4life5 wrote:Will he have to sit out next year eligibility wise?
If he's already graduated and is now a graduate student, no, he will not have to sit out a year.
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

Wonder how his visit went.... Hopefully we get a verbal this week!