recipe for nebraska

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

all right.... kinda hazy coming off the fourth of July party in my neighborhood... but wanted to give some thoughts about strategy and how I would approach the cornhuskers.

1. They are favored.
2. They are a running team, option oriented.
3. They have a much better defense than we do.
4. We are playing in Lincoln.
5. Our offense is designed to score more efficiently than their's... its the truth... space between defenders statistically improves points per game.
6. Brett Smith is a pro prospect qb. Taylor Martinez will have to rely on his degree for money. Not bullshatting here...

ok...

So, first off, a loss in Lincoln is nothing too frown about. We will most likely lose. But, that is not going to change how we turn out in the conference ratings. And if we lose, it wont really affect our recruiting. Doesn't matter the final score... we are heavily favored underdogs, first game... blah blah blah. mountain west voters wont give two shakes. But if we win... everything changes.

Nebraska is always "fast" on the back side of their defense; and big upfront. We probably only have two receivers that can run with their dbs, and those are brown and herron. our running game is division II compared to Nebraska.

However... and this is just my drunken holiday thoughts, we "can" score more than they can early in the game. but we have to commit too it.

brett can make this game. he has the ability, along with the route running of our receivers to put up some quick scores.

the bottom line though (and this is paramount), we have to commit to stopping the run. every down, every snap, all day long. Martinez can make throws, but is not known for it.

I would gladly accept a loss that Martinez engineered with his arm... that would surprise me, and the rest of the football world. But if we can bring some gap pressure, make sure that the db's play aggressive short depth pressure defense that collapse towards the quarterback, and ensure that our safeties fill out and up (meaning that their first step is towards the 45/ angle up field towards the flats...

Let the points fall where they may, but give our strengths and weaknesses a shot. We cannot let Nebraska RUN downfield on us all day... we have to get them in to passing formations, meaning we have to get a lead, and we have to be efficient enough to keep the pressure on with the lead.

it is the only strategy that works other than winning the turnover battle in a huge way.

and more than likely, Nebraska "knows" that this is the only true threat too losing. so they will be sitting on the pass and rushing with 4+1 linebacker every play. we cant make mistakes, we cant turn it over, and we have to move the chains early.

it seems like a miracle, but some good play calling and a few surprises, who knows?

all I know for sure is that my wife is probably going to have to put me to bed late in the third quarter due to me being to drunk to manage for myself. GO POKES!

keys to game: our offensive line (especially at the tackle position), our tight-end, and stopping the run
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

carbonpoke wrote: keys to game: our offensive line (especially at the tackle position), our tight-end, and stopping the run
LOL Is that all? The line is at -21 Huskers....I think that might be a few points in Wyoming's favor....I'd predict more. The Pokes are outmatched in this one....bottom line. What Wyoming struggles with is what Nebraska thrives doing (exposing teams with bad lines). As long as Smith remains healthy, this game will have little effect on UW.

Wyoming's worst enemies are teams who have great talent in the trenches. Nebraska, will be one of those teams. Only chance to make this game competitive is have Smith throw it long and hope for the best like Texas last year.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Ahh,... the "Jrod" answer's in common-non-pro Wyoming talk. And... I kind of agree. I never said we were going to win, Bud! I said the "only way" we could win. Not sure who's side your on? I love your input, you have good acumen, but, for some reason I don't know why you don't cheer for the brown and gold. Whatever J-Rod....when you comment on this board, you can come across like the eternal pessimist. And yes... Nebraska does prey on weak lines... as do all BCS caliber teams. But I'm saying that the "ONLY" way we can win is to mitigate the damage, and produce! what your saying is.... WYOMING IS GONNA LOSE... WYOMING IS GONNA LOSE.... WYOMING IS GONNA LOSE. That weird, cause I don't cheer for the losing team.

Hope you have a great holiday! Drink one for me, cause im making another for you.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

carbonpoke wrote:Ahh,... the "Jrod" answer's in common-non-pro Wyoming talk. And... I kind of agree. I never said we were going to win, Bud! I said the "only way" we could win. Not sure who's side your on? I love your input, you have good acumen, but, for some reason I don't know why you don't cheer for the brown and gold. Whatever J-Rod....when you comment on this board, you can come across like the eternal pessimist. And yes... Nebraska does prey on weak lines... as do all BCS caliber teams. But I'm saying that the "ONLY" way we can win is to mitigate the damage, and produce! what your saying is.... WYOMING IS GONNA LOSE... WYOMING IS GONNA LOSE.... WYOMING IS GONNA LOSE. That weird, cause I don't cheer for the losing team.

Hope you have a great holiday! Drink one for me, cause im making another for you.
I'm only pessimistic if I'm wrong :P ....which I wasn't completely last year (I was actually too optimistic.....as was pretty much everyone).

Last year the obsession was Texas and Boise. Turned out, should have focused more on Toledo and Cal Poly....lets just hope Wyoming takes care of business. When I read threads like this, I find myself thinking (as I'm sure many do) "here we go again"..... ;) :whistle: We've done this dance already...This is like our 5th "here's how we'll beat Nebraska" thread. Definitely July. Things got so freaking hostile on this board last year when UW didn't live up to the lofty expectations of some....nothing I said is really pessimistic. Maybe somewhat defeatist.....but come on.....UW went 4-8 last season, all wins against very bad teams. After about the 3rd "here's how we'll beat Nebraska" thread, it gets old.

I wonder how many "here's how we'll beat Alabama" threads there are in RamNation.com? :lol: Oh well, for the sake of this thread....I'll post my own recipe for victory.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

1.) Wyoming can't match Nebraska's talent in the trenches. Beating them upfront is unlikely......but CDC has had a few defenses (2009/2011) that were able to create lots and lots of turnovers. The cliche "bend but don't break" defense will need to be revived.....strip for fumbles will be big. Taylor Martinez won't throw any INTs.....he's way too inaccurate for that. :lol: If those big hosses start mowing the UW front 4 down, those LBs and DBs need to strip for that ball. Think TCU 2011 when the Pokes forced 5 fumbles.

2.) Go long. Wyoming could not run, throw intermediate, nothing against Texas. The one positive was Smith uncanny ability to throw an accurate long ball. Not a ton of strength in his throws, but he puts it on the spot. If the no huddle isn't doing damage, letting Herron and co get behind the Nebraska secondary is the best bet. Obviously the O-Line will need to give Smith at least a little time.....and going deep isn't exactly a "game plan".....but it is one possible advantage.

3.) Striking early would be a good plan, I agree. Play action for a deep ball on 1st down? Why not? Those Cornhusker legs will be raw early on....go long to Herron. Like I said though, that may work....but not for an entire game. Wyoming will need a lot of breaks to go their way.

4.) Trick plays. Hey....when the other team has tons of talent.....throw bizarre poop at them. Got nothing to lose.

Its all a long shot.....there isn't much in the playbook when you are outmatched on both the O-Line and D-Line. Lots of luck is needed......maybe the stars will align, or maybe it will be the routine blowout everyone expects. We'll find out in a few months.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

wow, you just made me delete an entire post due to you follow-on post.

that's all im saying jrod.... it not likely, but we have some weapons that we need to utilize, and we need to scheme defensively correctly. there will be zero breathing room. we shouldn't win, but if we do, our western Nebraska recruiting should see an increase. as well as national exposure. Even if we lose, if we do it with pride we should increase national exposure, at least exposure on the big 10 network... or big 11... or big 12.

seems like you and I are the only fans on right now....

Kinda expected beaver to be on lol.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

carbonpoke wrote:wow, you just made me delete an entire post due to you follow-on post.

that's all im saying jrod.... it not likely, but we have some weapons that we need to utilize, and we need to scheme defensively correctly. there will be zero breathing room. we shouldn't win, but if we do, our western Nebraska recruiting should see an increase. as well as national exposure. Even if we lose, if we do it with pride we should increase national exposure, at least exposure on the big 10 network... or big 11... or big 12.

seems like you and I are the only fans on right now....

Kinda expected beaver to be on lol.
Ha, not to be the pessimistic Pete, but if we were to beat the fuskers, I highly doubt it will make much difference in recruiting. When it comes to between UW and UNL, most nebraskans will take UNL hands down. If we win 10-15 more times then maybe we could see a shift, but 1 game won't matter.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote:
carbonpoke wrote: keys to game: our offensive line (especially at the tackle position), our tight-end, and stopping the run
LOL Is that all? The line is at -21 Huskers....I think that might be a few points in Wyoming's favor....I'd predict more. The Pokes are outmatched in this one....bottom line. What Wyoming struggles with is what Nebraska thrives doing (exposing teams with bad lines). As long as Smith remains healthy, this game will have little effect on UW.

Wyoming's worst enemies are teams who have great talent in the trenches. Nebraska, will be one of those teams. Only chance to make this game competitive is have Smith throw it long and hope for the best like Texas last year.

J-Rod, if you feel that strongly that Wyoming is going to lose by more than 21 points, why not take every bit of money you can lay your hands on and go to Las Vegas and plop that money down on Nebraska. What you should have said is "what Wyoming has struggled with in the past". I can't say Wyoming will be better in those areas this year, but there have been enough changes across the board on defense and offense that I doubt anyone knows what will happen. As an example, there is the change to a 3 - 4 scheme with different personnel on the D-line. On offense, we now have DC calling the plays and some different personnel on the O-line. Go Pokes - give em hell.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Consensus: Poke are going to loose.

Then the best course of action: Let the second team start and play to get experience and absorb the injuries.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

J-Rod's not a pessimist, he's a realist. He's able to take off his Brown & Gold blinders from time to time and see things as they really are. It doesn't make him any less of a fan than anyone else.

Our two biggest weakness are the keys to the game?? If that's true then J-Rod's prediction of >21 is a very easy bet. We won't be able to stop the run and Brett will spend his fair share running away from a few Huskers. We won't run for 150+ yds.

I'd say the keys to the game are Nebraska turnovers and a handful of big, surprising Wyoming plays. Both of which will require an element of luck. You can't get lucky, however, if you don't play the game with intent to win.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I agree with the mind set that Wyo needs to go out and score as many points as possible early.
Like I said in a different post, we can not grind it out for 60 minutes with them. They will pummel us.
Brett Smith needs to throw 3 TD's and about 200 yards by halftime.
With most of that coming in the first quarter.
Think about this...This will be the first time in like a decade we have an upper classman QB that we all know is a stud.
This isn't Karsten Sween being the starter as a Sr. for about 1 quarter of 1 game.
This is Brett frickin Smith.

And J-Rod, not calling you a pessimist, but you do have a way of just shutting down "What Wyo needs to do to win" threads. I don't know if you mean to but it definitely comes off that way.
You get to the bottom line quick and early, but man it is July and we want to talk some football!!! Lol.

I honestly think Nebraska is in for a big surprise. Their fans and players probably don't think Wyo is worth poop, but just ask Texas fans, they were way impressed with B-Smith and Herron.

Are they in for a huge surprise that ends their National Championship hopes game 1? I sure hope so.
But most likely they are going to go in thinking they are going to win by 40+ and will likely end up winning by 10-14 points.
And they are going to say "Wow, that QB Wyo has sure is good, and their offense can put up a lot of points."

But God I hope that they are saying "Wow, I think our defense could learn a thing or two from theirs" and for once it isn't us saying that! Oh and PS, win or loss, Taylor Martinez could learn a thing or two from watching Brett Smith.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

Taylor Martinez is not nearly as bad as many of you make him out to be. In fact, the dude is pretty damn good. He may not have the skills to be a successful NFL quarterback, but the dude is a very good college football quarterback.

You can't question the athleticism that Martinez possesses. While Brett is a good running quarterback, Martinez is a great running quarterback because of the elite athleticism that he has. The knock on Martinez has always been his passing skills, and while still not a great passing quarterback, he was much improved last year. His passer rating improved from 126.5 in 2011 to 141.6 last year. His numbers were remarkably similar to Brett Smith's, except for a better TD/Int ratio which was in favor of Brett Smith. Also, let's not forget that Martinez was named first team all Big Ten conference last year.

I, for one, am not going to sleep on Taylor Martinez.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

TheRealUW wrote:Taylor Martinez is not nearly as bad as many of you make him out to be. In fact, the dude is pretty damn good. He may not have the skills to be a successful NFL quarterback, but the dude is a very good college football quarterback.

You can't question the athleticism that Martinez possesses. While Brett is a good running quarterback, Martinez is a great running quarterback because of the elite athleticism that he has. The knock on Martinez has always been his passing skills, and while still not a great passing quarterback, he was much improved last year. His passer rating improved from 126.5 in 2011 to 141.6 last year. His numbers were remarkably similar to Brett Smith's, except for a better TD/Int ratio which was in favor of Brett Smith. Also, let's not forget that Martinez was named first team all Big Ten conference last year.

I, for one, am not going to sleep on Taylor Martinez.
His throwing ability is an absolute mess......but you are right, his ability to scramble is up there with Johnny Manziel's.

If you can't contain him.....this happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaciycdzhXo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

I guess it's a good thing Nebraska's offense doesn't require a long ball accurate passer, eh? It never has. Who cares how accurate he is, we should only be concerned with trying not to allow 400 yards rushing.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Lol I am not sleeping on Martinez, all I said is he could learn a thing or two by watching Brett Smith.
Obviously Taylor Martinez is a bad ass scrambler, but can not throw that well.
And don't give me that crap about his passer rating improving.
His offense is built for it. Want to know who had the best straight up PASSER RATING in the NCAA a few years ago? An athletic scrambling machine named Tim Tebow. His throwing turned out sooo great it got him on 3 NFL teams in 4 years with 16 or so total games started.

Brett Smith is a better QUARTERBACK. I will say that Taylor Martinez is a slightly better athlete, but not QB.
Kinda like how Peyton Manning is one of the best QBs in the world, but almost every other starting QB in the NFL is probably a better ATHLETE.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote:I guess it's a good thing Nebraska's offense doesn't require a long ball accurate passer, eh? It never has. Who cares how accurate he is, we should only be concerned with trying not to allow 400 yards rushing.
THAT is what is terrifying about this game. This isn't the Texas game where former BSU OC Bryan Harsin was hell-bent on getting the passing game to work.....Nebraska doesn't give two poop about throwing the ball. They will run right at Wyoming...all day. Like I stated in a previous post, the Cowboy defense needs to be able to bend but not break....or this game could get real ugly.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

BeaverPoke wrote:Brett Smith is a better QUARTERBACK. I will say that Taylor Martinez is a slightly better athlete, but not QB.
Kinda like how Peyton Manning is one of the best QBs in the world, but almost every other starting QB in the NFL is probably a better ATHLETE.
I think this all depends on what level of football you are taking about. If you are referring to who would be a better quarterback in the NFL, then I agree 100%, it is hands down Brett Smith. However, I personally think that Taylor Martinez is a better college football quarterback than Brett Smith right now. I'm sure there are a few of you who disagree with me, but people get hung up on the traditional definition of what a quarterback is. The days of the quarterback needing to be a good drop-back passer are long gone in college football. You said it yourself, the arguably greatest college quarterback of all-time couldn't pass worth a poop.

In short, I give the edge to Taylor Martinez in the college game. In a couple years when college football is no longer an option for either player, then I'll give the edge to Brett.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

BeaverPoke wrote:Lol I am not sleeping on Martinez, all I said is he could learn a thing or two by watching Brett Smith.
Obviously Taylor Martinez is a bad ass scrambler, but can not throw that well.
And don't give me that crap about his passer rating improving.
His offense is built for it. Want to know who had the best straight up PASSER RATING in the NCAA a few years ago? An athletic scrambling machine named Tim Tebow. His throwing turned out sooo great it got him on 3 NFL teams in 4 years with 16 or so total games started.

Brett Smith is a better QUARTERBACK. I will say that Taylor Martinez is a slightly better athlete, but not QB.
You can't dis passer rating and use as your example a player with a good passer rating, that was one of the best QBs in college history and then made the NFL, where he wins, when given a chance. That's basically arguing the other side. Now, if you find a player with a good passer rating that plays for a losing team, that would better solidify your argument. I'd take Brett over Martinez, but certainly not over a college age Tebow.
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

I agree with Jrod. We must commit to stopping the run. We need our secondary to play fundamental defense and everyone else has to be in the box and stop the run. Or we don't stand a chance. I just found out I will be at the game cheering in the Pokes and I can't wait! How many tickets are they alloting the Pokes? Just wondering how many poke fans will be there.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

in all respect, J-Rod is one of my favorite posters as he always has intelligent input. Ive been around for a long time, on the gowyogo board I was using the handle sgtpoke. For years Ive read different posts on this site as well as the other. We all spin our opinions with our personality types showing through.

This isn't the first or last time that Ive started a post like this. I like the banter. Any old timers remember JCintherock? where the hell did he go? he always had good insight into the basketball program.

the summer is here, and the material for posts is at a low. I always try to write something involving the big non-conference games. Its been a long time for Wyoming fans in regards to having success against those opponents. I don't chest thump, and I wouldn't in this situation if Wyoming were to beat Nebraska. I do feel that I have an above average knowledge when it comes to the game of football, but Im not a booster nor do I have any inside info regarding the program.

two more months... all I can say is that I hope to god we don't get beat at the point of attack like we did last time against Nebraska. all theories and predictions aside, our defensive front 7 have to come ready to play. I hope we are healthy before and after the game.