recipe for nebraska

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

cowboyz wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:Lol I am not sleeping on Martinez, all I said is he could learn a thing or two by watching Brett Smith.
Obviously Taylor Martinez is a bad ass scrambler, but can not throw that well.
And don't give me that crap about his passer rating improving.
His offense is built for it. Want to know who had the best straight up PASSER RATING in the NCAA a few years ago? An athletic scrambling machine named Tim Tebow. His throwing turned out sooo great it got him on 3 NFL teams in 4 years with 16 or so total games started.

Brett Smith is a better QUARTERBACK. I will say that Taylor Martinez is a slightly better athlete, but not QB.
Kinda like how Peyton Manning is one of the best QBs in the world, but almost every other starting QB in the NFL is probably a better ATHLETE.
You can't dis passer rating and use as your example a player with a good passer rating, that was one of the best QBs in college history and then made the NFL, where he wins, when given a chance. That's basically arguing the other side. Now, if you find a player with a good passer rating that plays for a losing team, that would better solidify your argument. I'd take Brett over Martinez, but certainly not over a college age Tebow.
You totally missed my point. Tebow has an amazing passer rating but he is not a good passer. That is all I meant.
The offense they ran at Florida helped with that. He had amazing receivers that would catch the ball 5 yards down field and run for 40. Tebow was not a PASSER or a true QB. He is an amazing athlete that had the write offense for success.
If he was a good passer, he would be killing it in the NFL.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Dutchnation wrote:I agree with Jrod. We must commit to stopping the run. We need our secondary to play fundamental defense and everyone else has to be in the box and stop the run. Or we don't stand a chance. I just found out I will be at the game cheering in the Pokes and I can't wait! How many tickets are they alloting the Pokes? Just wondering how many poke fans will be there.
I'm going with a group of 4 :D
knapplc
Buckaroo

carbonpoke wrote: 1. They are favored.
2. They are a running team, option oriented.
3. They have a much better defense than we do.
4. We are playing in Lincoln.
5. Our offense is designed to score more efficiently than their's... its the truth... space between defenders statistically improves points per game.
6. Brett Smith is a pro prospect qb. Taylor Martinez will have to rely on his degree for money. Not bullshatting here...
Husker fan here. To respond to these points...

1. We're favored. But that's Vegas. We were also favored against you guys in 1994 when we won the first of our modern MNC's, but the Cowboys came in and dominated the first half with what appears on the outside like a really similar offensive philosophy - spread us out and work the gaps in the defensive backfield. That'll work again if we can't generate pressure on Smith, and the weakest part of our defense is the D Line.

2. We're not an option team anymore. Tim Beck, our OC, has us at about a 50/50 run/pass ratio. We break out the Option play every once in a while but frankly, this group is not good at it. While it used to be a staple, I cringe whenever we run it lately. We have a zone-read based run game (which is Option-ish, granted) and what should be a pretty good passing game. We have what should be the best O Line we've had in a decade this year, so expect lots of power runs like traps, Iso's and the toss sweep. Martinez can hurt you several ways, and frankly this is probably our best WR corps at Nebraska, ever. But if you bring pressure Martinez can be rattled - or bust off a 60-yard TD run. You just never know.

3. Better defense - that's yet to be seen. We've got guys who were higher-rated when recruited and most likely better athletes, but this means nothing, honestly. We've struggled against good and bad teams. Defense is easily the biggest question-mark on this team. We return four guys with starting experience, and the D Linemen we return are the weakest of the bunch we had last year. We have no idea what we're getting in that D Line, and we could be transitioning to a 3-4 base defense, so who knows. This defense gave up 650 yards to UCLA, 500 yards to Ohio State, 640 yards to Wisconsin (a five-loss team) and another 600 yards to Georgia. Granted, Wyoming isn't on the same level as these teams, but this defense isn't on the same level as Nebraska defenses of yore.

4. Agreed. Come on over and we'll show you a good time.

5. Not sure this is true. We scored 35 points per game last year, ranked 28th in the country in Scoring Offense, and return basically every skill player who got significant time last year. Our Strength of Schedule was 20th in the nation (Sagarin). This Nebraska offense could be truly scary this year. Wyoming's offense ranked 72nd in Scoring Offense and you folks played the 101st-ranked SOS. I don't know if you can even say that by scheme your offense is designed to score more points, because we put up points against everybody, including 30 or more points against the nos. 9, 16, 17 (twice) and 18 Scoring Defenses in 2012.

6. Agreed about pro prospects. Of the two, the only one with a chance at playing QB in the NFL is Smith. Martinez would be a WR or DB if he made it in the NFL. He's a hell of an athlete, but a true passing QB he's not. That said, I have never seen a kid dedicate more of his personal time to making himself better than Martinez, who spent each of the last two Spring Breaks and both summers attending camps and clinics to improve. He was worlds better last year, both mechanically and in making better decisions, but as has been mentioned several times in this thread, Martinez is deeply flawed and always will be. He's just not a natural QB. He leads the nation in turnovers the last three years which is alarming, and the rest of the offense turns the ball over frequently, too. Smith is a far better natural passer.

What does all that mean? Not much. Nebraska will likely win and it may not be close. But I know this Nebraska team, and I won't rule out any opponent. We have a tendency to make games that should be laughers too close for comfort. And this Nebraska team can't hold a candle to that 1994 Nebraska team - and you guys led at halftime and scared the hell out of me that year. I was at that game, and I remember vividly watching your receivers run free downfield.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Knapplc, last seasons offense #'s should be taken into consideration, but so should the defenses and injuries. You guys had a good D, Wyo had a HORRIBLE one. The D was always on the field, giving the offense fewer chances to score. And on top of that Brett Smith missed 2 games to injury. Definitely something to consider.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

And I'm glad you weren't a dick about it, thanks. There were some Texas fan last year that said we had no chance because when they feel something special in Austin they know they are in for a huge year, probably winning the BCS Title game.
knapplc
Buckaroo

BeaverPoke wrote:And I'm glad you weren't a dick about it, thanks. There were some Texas fan last year that said we had no chance because when they feel something special in Austin they know they are in for a huge year, probably winning the BCS Title game.
That is so hard to believe from Texas fans. :D
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

knapplc wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:And I'm glad you weren't a dick about it, thanks. There were some Texas fan last year that said we had no chance because when they feel something special in Austin they know they are in for a huge year, probably winning the BCS Title game.
That is so hard to believe from Texas fans. :D
Hahaha, yeah literally saying their "gut feeling" about the season meant something.
Hell at this point everyone who is a die hard fan thinks their team is going to go undefeated, that doesn't mean it's for real! lol
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote: Hahaha, yeah literally saying their "gut feeling" about the season meant something.
Hell at this point everyone who is a die hard fan thinks their team is going to go undefeated, that doesn't mean it's for real! lol
LOL Look whose talking.
knapplc
Buckaroo

There's no harm in thinking the best about your team. We're the ones who support them. If we're not 100% behind them, who will be?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

J-Rod wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote: Hahaha, yeah literally saying their "gut feeling" about the season meant something.
LOL Look whose talking.
:rofl: :rofl:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
LOL Look whose talking.
I may have tons of good "gut feelings" about Wyo football, but I never said anything along the lines of "No way your team will even have a chance because when we get a special feeling here in Laramie, the team is unstoppable and is going to win it all".

I may be a homer but most of that is in good fun. Not like some of the Texas a-holes.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote: I may have tons of good "gut feelings" about Wyo football, but I never said anything along the lines of "No way your team will even have a chance because when we get a special feeling here in Laramie, the team is unstoppable and is going to win it all".

I may be a homer but most of that is in good fun. Not like some of the Texas a-holes.
Texas fans believe they own college football. They ultimately did beat Wyoming by a big margin, but they were not very good last season. Not sure if they'll be any better this year. Phil Steele and his drunk ass seems to think so. He put both Texas and USC in his Top 5. :roll:
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

J-Rod wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote: I may have tons of good "gut feelings" about Wyo football, but I never said anything along the lines of "No way your team will even have a chance because when we get a special feeling here in Laramie, the team is unstoppable and is going to win it all".

Texas fans believe they own college football. They ultimately did beat Wyoming by a big margin, but they were not very good last season. Not sure if they'll be any better this year. Phil Steele and his drunk ass seems to think so. He put both Texas and USC in his Top 5. :roll:
UTexas thinks it owns the Big XII thus why Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A & M, & Missouri ALL got the hell outta the conference asap!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote:

Texas forgot what a competant QB is.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

USC in the top 5...lol.
The way things are working out, I might be able to see USC and OSU this fall.
That game, or the Stanford @ OSU game.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

there will come a time/year that we go into a big house like Nebraska and pull the upset sometime, hopefully in my lifetime, hey we did it going to Tennessee to a really bad Volunteer team but I don't care to go into Neyland Stadium and Wyoming coming out on the + side is always something to be proud of, I'm just mad I went to the TCU game that year the week b4 instead of going to Knoxville and watching that win.
One of these years we'll get one, just hope I'm in attendance...lol
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote:there will come a time/year that we go into a big house like Nebraska and pull the upset sometime, hopefully in my lifetime, hey we did it going to Tennessee to a really bad Volunteer team but I don't care to go into Neyland Stadium and Wyoming coming out on the + side is always something to be proud of, I'm just mad I went to the TCU game that year the week b4 instead of going to Knoxville and watching that win.
One of these years we'll get one, just hope I'm in attendance...lol

Hey they were "bad" 5-7, we were no better going 4-8.