Where does War Memorial rank amongst stadiums?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Some interesting choices in here..
http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/02-0 ... kings-2012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Nevada at 33 lol.

Stadiums are all the same unless they have something unique about them. Wyoming's scenery at games in the end zones, etc. are special. New field will only add to the game experience. Should be higher than 99th.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

So, Reno, who has an underwhelming stadium (been there, feels like a glorified high school stadium) is somehow ranked higher than the War (at 99)?

Yeah, this list became a "pick and choose while blindfolded" kind of list after about #10.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Haha Reser Stadium (OSU Beavers) @ 82 is a total joke. USU and BYU are 20+ spots higher than OSU. They are not nicer stadiums.
I do agree that after the top 10 it was just random stuff. Boise States stadium is not that nice. I've been there for games and spent a week there at a camp, it is not any where NEAR the 16th best stadium.

Rice-Eccles is surprisingly low. I don't really care for the Utes but have attended plenty of games there to know it is nicer than 50th or whatever it was.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I do like CSU @ 116 lol.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote:I do like CSU @ 116 lol.
That too will be incorrect in a few years.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Put in 19" stadium seats for my poor old ass and I will rank War Memorial #1.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I cant believe where they ranked Nevadas stadium. I totally agree its a glorified high school stadium. Been there and was completely unimpressed. At least they had Colorado St. At the appropriate ranking. :P
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Here is their ranking criteria:

"Our rankings of the stadium experiences are based on considering many aspects of the stadium experience including food and beverage served, overall atmosphere, the neighborhood, fans, access to and within the stadium, and overall return on investment."

Based upon this alone, I agree we should be ranked lowly according to this criteria.
The Virginian
Cowpoke

I guess my criteria are a bit less demanding.

1. Is my seat good, can I see the action on the field?

2. Do I have to stand in line to use the toilet, particularly when I have to go NOW?

5. Is parking a reasonable distance from the stadium?

6. If I'm at an away stadium, do the opposing fans treat me with respect?

Other than the above, all stadiums are the same to me. I don't buy food or drink because I don't like getting financially raped. Since I don't buy food or drink, I don't care what they serve. Now chair back seats are nice, but not a deal breaker.

As far as I'm concerned, War Memorial is perfect for what it's intended, watching a fooball game.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

The Virginian wrote:I guess my criteria are a bit less demanding.

1. Is my seat good, can I see the action on the field?

2. Do I have to stand in line to use the toilet, particularly when I have to go NOW?

5. Is parking a reasonable distance from the stadium?

6. If I'm at an away stadium, do the opposing fans treat me with respect?

Other than the above, all stadiums are the same to me. I don't buy food or drink because I don't like getting financially raped. Since I don't buy food or drink, I don't care what they serve. Now chair back seats are nice, but not a deal breaker.

As far as I'm concerned, War Memorial is perfect for what it's intended, watching a fooball game.
Amen.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Lol and that is why Wyo athletics stays mediocre. War Memorial is not perfect in any way. Nice little stadium with some decent scenery. But the more fans think is it just perfect as is is the reason Wyo never improves. Just saying.
By your criteria, there are about 100+ PERFECT college football stadiums.

It's about Gameday experience. Filled to capacity stadiums. Traditions going on before each game. Getting rowdy, having big cheers going, not sitting on your hands. It is much more than just simply sitting in the seats, having a bathroom and watching the game. It is about having the students be into it. It is about creating a true home field advantage. About other teams fans wanting to attend a game here because it is on their bucket list.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

It's also not about wanting to show up right before game time and leaving right after it ends.
The more people stay an make the entire town and campus area an alive and fun place to be on a Saturday the better the atmosphere will be.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:Lol and that is why Wyo athletics stays mediocre. War Memorial is not perfect in any way. Nice little stadium with some decent scenery. But the more fans think is it just perfect as is is the reason Wyo never improves. Just saying.

It's about Gameday experience. Filled to capacity stadiums. Traditions going on before each game. Getting rowdy, having big cheers going, not sitting on your hands. It is much more than just simply sitting in the seats, having a bathroom and watching the game. It is about having the students be into it. It is about creating a true home field advantage. About other teams fans wanting to attend a game here because it is on their bucket list.
Beav, quit being a little twit. I think the War is a great venue too. The recent renovations make is a very authentically pleasing stadium. Not a bad seat in the house.

Maybe I should ask what your complaints are. What are they?

If you're complaining about he lack of crowds, that is a Wyoming thing. Not a lot of people in the state....but the stadium does get more crowded the better the product is. The student section (when I was in school) was as roudy as you wanted....fights, whisky bottles, etc. Winning would help. Cheers? When the WYO cheer is going, it is tough to beat. The Beer Song is the most unique song sung in stadiums in the country IMO.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't pregame traditions include drinking? Are you saying Wyoming fans aren't drinking enough?

ps. I'd rather have fans poop down their legs when they think about coming to the War.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:Lol and that is why Wyo athletics stays mediocre. War Memorial is not perfect in any way. Nice little stadium with some decent scenery. But the more fans think is it just perfect as is is the reason Wyo never improves. Just saying.

Traditions, rowdiness, cheers have NOTHING to do with a stadium. That's on the fans themselves, dude.

Neither the War nor the atmosphere is why Wyo athletics stays mediocre. It's my opinion that we stay mediocre simply because we live in a desolate state. Beautiful to those of us who either live in it or are from here, but in the minds of the other 99.8% of the country's population, it's a hole.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I like the War and was pointing out the author's ranking criteria. There is no reason for not selling beer in the stadium. I strongly disagree with the stance to cater to the 'elite' and serve beer in the Wildcatter suites but not the rest of the stadium. And yes I have watched plenty of games in the Wildcatter, although I prefer the stands for the game day experience as many in the Wildcatter seem uninterested in the actual game.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:I like the War and was pointing out the author's ranking criteria. There is no reason for not selling beer in the stadium. I strongly disagree with the stance to cater to the 'elite' and serve beer in the Wildcatter suites but not the rest of the stadium. And yes I have watched plenty of games in the Wildcatter, although I prefer the stands for the game day experience as many in the Wildcatter seem uninterested in the actual game.
I agree with your sentiments on the alcohol sales. They need to be throughout the entire stadium. I don't have any interest in watching the game from the Wildcatter Suites right now, either. I'd rather be freezing my ass off in the stands and screaming at the top of my lungs!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote:I like the War and was pointing out the author's ranking criteria. There is no reason for not selling beer in the stadium. I strongly disagree with the stance to cater to the 'elite' and serve beer in the Wildcatter suites but not the rest of the stadium. And yes I have watched plenty of games in the Wildcatter, although I prefer the stands for the game day experience as many in the Wildcatter seem uninterested in the actual game.
This is where my head's at. If it takes a bunch of random poop not pertaining to the game to get someone interested in coming, something's not right (vibrating seats in Atlanta comes to mind).
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Whoa whoa whoa. My point was that fans thinking small, and thinking we have everything perfect.
I like the War, a lot.
But it is not perfect. People said that their criteria is being able to see the field, going to the bathroom, and having parking close to the stadium.
And that makes it perfect, and in that case there are tons of perfect stadiums.
Which is a joke. The War is NOT perfect.
Go to a game at a big school. Far better overall gameday experience. But hey why keep renovating and building? The War is perfect. Hopefully DC can sell that to recruits, "That stadium is PERFECT".

That small time thinking is the reason Wyo stays mediocre. Not the War itself. The fans thinking "I can see the field and get home quickly after the game".
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:
Maybe I should ask what your complaints are. What are they?
My complaints about the stadium? Not many. I like it, but that is only because I have been going to Wyo football games there my whole life. To me it is simply the place where Wyo football is at. The stadium is okay, it's nice, but it's not amazing. It doesn't blow any one away with aw. Except for little kids.

My complaint is that Wyo fans thinking War Memorial is perfect shows the lack of ambition or will to grow and build more. People get too content thinking everything is just fine. College athletics have become an arms race. People are insane if they think War Memorial is perfect. That or they have only been to games @ LHS and War Memorial.

We came in 99th on the list, and should be throwing a fit that we aren't at least in the top half.
And this isn't the only list that we are in the bottom 25%.
We should want to have a great stadium. One that is a great place to go to. That get fans there, and make other teams fans scared they are coming to Laramie just to watch their team lose.

War Memorial is not intimidating at all. It's not awful by any means. But it isn't great. We can sit there calling it perfect and let other schools keep getting advancing and saying no we have a perfect stadium. Or people can realize college sports is an arms race and we got to keep up. C'mon guys wake up. I am sure that people who think the War is perfect probably think the AA is perfect and doesn't need renovations. You can see the court, you don't have to wait for the bathroom much, and it is easy to get to your car. We must be wasting money on the AA.