Where does War Memorial rank amongst stadiums?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
The Virginian
Cowpoke

I think all this emphasis on the quality of the stadium is silly. I've been to a lot of stadiums around the country in following the Pokes and I've not been to one that beats the War in their intended purpose, i.e. watching a game.

Neyland Stadium in Knoxville holds around 108,000 people, but other than that, it's a dump. It just a collection of expansions and going through it I was put off by how run down it was under the stands.

I was at the Nashville stadium, an NFL stadium and the seats were nice, but the prices were criminal, $12 for a beer? I missed a good part of the 4th quarter trying to use the restroom. I was at TCU's stadium, admittedly before the recent renovations, nothing special. Kyle Stadium at Texas A&M was another collections of additions and nothing really special. The thing that made it unique was their cult-like devotion to their team.

I've been to FedEx numerous times and been underwhelmed. Parking was crazy and the traffic getting in and out of the place is a real pain in the ass. I've never been out of the nose bleed sections so from my perspective the place sucks.

I've been to Toledo's Glass Bowl, Ohio U.'s Peden Field, Virginia's Scott Stadium, Virginia Tech's Lane Stadium, Maryland's Byrd Stadium, the Navy's Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, Texas' DKR Stadium, Mile High in Denver and many others. The main thing I remember about all of them is that they were good places to watch the game. Everything else is just meaningless fluff.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
YankPoke
Cowpoke

I think when you are evaluating stadiums, it is very important to look at the gameday experience, fans, and everything else of that sort as well as the stadium itself. Look at baseball where some of the best stadiums are Wrigley and Fenway because of the history, tradition, fans, and the overall gameday experience that you get from them.

I love the War, and it's unique scenery, tree landscape, that there isn't a bad seat, and everything else. I think that the concourses are in desperate need of a renovation, but this is my only problem.

I however have no problem with where they rank the War on this chart. Sure some of them they got wrong like Nevada, and a few others in there as well. I can't complain that they have us in the bottom half of the list though, our gameday experience is not nearly as good as a lot of schools, tradition, yes there is some but not as much as others. The War is a great place, and I love going to it, but without the Brown and Gold goggles that we all seem to have on Beaver and a few others are right, the War just isn't a top stadium around the country.

I know some of you are going to complain that I take into account the fans, the fact that we never sell out besides a big school, and everything else besides just the stadium itself, but that is how you must look at them. The main part about a stadium is the ability to provide a unique and exciting gameday experience. I love the experience of going to the War personally, but there is no way we compare to other schools around the nation. I grew up going to CU games all the time, and their gameday experience is miles ahead of ours, from a non-biased perspective. We don't have the same buzz around the city, we don't have the same electricity in the stands.

I love the War, but we can have no complaints about being in the bottom half in these rankings.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

For those posters that say "there is not a bad seat in the house" at the War - I beg to differ.

I never could figure out why the Wildcatter wasn't taken to the edges. Those seats are obstructed, and a waste of space. The engineering firm / architect firm that approved that should be punched in the sack.

Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

My friend and I went into the War when no one was there and went to the top rows right next to the Wildcatters and you can only see about 30 yards of the field up there next to the Suites. McPeachy is right, they screwed that up bad.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BigSkyBears
Buckaroo

Where is the visitor section at War? I've only been there once, for the Weber State game a few years ago. My wife and I will be attending the UNC game.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

BigSkyBears wrote:Where is the visitor section at War? I've only been there once, for the Weber State game a few years ago. My wife and I will be attending the UNC game.
SW corner I think.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:Lol and that is why Wyo athletics stays mediocre. War Memorial is not perfect in any way. Nice little stadium with some decent scenery. But the more fans think is it just perfect as is is the reason Wyo never improves. Just saying.
By your criteria, there are about 100+ PERFECT college football stadiums.

It's about Gameday experience. Filled to capacity stadiums. Traditions going on before each game. Getting rowdy, having big cheers going, not sitting on your hands. It is much more than just simply sitting in the seats, having a bathroom and watching the game. It is about having the students be into it. It is about creating a true home field advantage. About other teams fans wanting to attend a game here because it is on their bucket list.

Neither the War nor the atmosphere is why Wyo athletics stays mediocre. It's my opinion that we stay mediocre simply because we live in a desolate state. Beautiful to those of us who either live in it or are from here, but in the minds of the other 99.8% of the country's population, it's a hole.
Agree and disagree. It is the sparse population that is our primary hurdle (no local talent and difficult to recruit kids who grew up with the comforts of urban/suburban living to a sparsely populated region). However, I don't think most would describe Wyoming as a state as "a hole" (maybe certain towns.....). The topography of Wyoming is not that different from the rest of the Mountain and Great Basin states (Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Idaho). High plains, arid basins, mountain ranges, etc. What makes Nevada as a state, for example, a more appealing destination than Wyoming?
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

NowherePoke wrote:
Agree and disagree. It is the sparse population that is our primary hurdle (no local talent and difficult to recruit kids who grew up with the comforts of urban/suburban living to a sparsely populated region). However, I don't think most would describe Wyoming as a state as "a hole" (maybe certain towns.....). The topography of Wyoming is not that different from the rest of the Mountain and Great Basin states (Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Idaho). High plains, arid basins, mountain ranges, etc. What makes Nevada as a state, for example, a more appealing destination than Wyoming?
I don't know, I could be wrong and maybe it's different elsewhere but I have lived out of state for the last 7 years and spent 5 of those years working with high school kids. Half of them barely know Wyoming is a state, let alone where it is or that it has a university. The ones that do know of Wyo have one of only 2 impressions: "Oh, they suck" or "Those colors are hideous". I don't think they view it as 'a hole' because of the topography/landscape. Most HS kids from the city/suburbia see anywhere without people as undesirable regardless of the positives that we all know and love. Problem is the majority of stellar athletes (in football and basketball, anyway) come from the city/suburbia.

Only 2 of the 11 least populated states have FBS football programs (Hawai'i being the other - whose appeal is obvious and has an advantage of a polynesian culture on their side but still can't put it together)
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

BackHarlowRoad wrote: I don't know, I could be wrong and maybe it's different elsewhere but I have lived out of state for the last 7 years and spent 5 of those years working with high school kids. Half of them barely know Wyoming is a state, let alone where it is or that it has a university. The ones that do know of Wyo have one of only 2 impressions: "Oh, they suck" or "Those colors are hideous". I don't think they view it as 'a hole' because of the topography/landscape. Most HS kids from the city/suburbia see anywhere without people as undesirable regardless of the positives that we all know and love. Problem is the majority of stellar athletes (in football and basketball, anyway) come from the city/suburbia.

Only 2 of the 11 least populated states have FBS football programs (Hawai'i being the other - whose appeal is obvious and has an advantage of a polynesian culture on their side but still can't put it together)
Where out of state?

And I agree and disagree. Not every city/suburban kid sees a place without people as undesirable. We've attracted some recruits because of this. Fewer distractions and more time to focus on football/school. When Wyoming was putting out consistent winning teams, we were attracting kids from all over...including big cities.

Our colors are the best......but maybe that is just me.

Go Pokes!!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy

I think our colors are fantastic compared to what many teams have... Boise? Puke. At least our colors are earth tones that blend well together.
I'm good for 3!
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
NowherePoke wrote:
I don't know, I could be wrong and maybe it's different elsewhere but I have lived out of state for the last 7 years and spent 5 of those years working with high school kids. Half of them barely know Wyoming is a state, let alone where it is or that it has a university. The ones that do know of Wyo have one of only 2 impressions: "Oh, they suck" or "Those colors are hideous". I don't think they view it as 'a hole' because of the topography/landscape. Most HS kids from the city/suburbia see anywhere without people as undesirable regardless of the positives that we all know and love. Problem is the majority of stellar athletes (in football and basketball, anyway) come from the city/suburbia.

You do make a good point regarding the perception of sparsely populated areas by suburban kids (most of our recruits are suburban, not that many come from truly urban areas). Many are brought up with a stronger emphasis on consumption (brands, dining, entertainment) than on outdoor/nature activities appreciation (especially true here in TX, maybe less so up in the PNW where you are).

I suppose we can't really argue with the impressions you mention. We do suck at Football (and Men's Basketball) and the colors are subjective so it's hard to tell someone they are wrong in terms of whether or not they like a certain color (I actually like Wyoming's colors, I think they are distinctive. Preferable to the generic red or blue or some cheesy combo. I can understand why someone may not enjoy Brown/Gold though. Their choice).

In terms of half of them knowing Wyoming is a state...well there is a reason we continue to slide down the international education rankings. Ignorance is prized in our society.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

NowherePoke wrote:In terms of half of them knowing Wyoming is a state...well there is a reason we continue to slide down the international education rankings. Ignorance is prized in our society.
And why the Kardashians are so popular. :roll: :tickedoff:

I've seen bits of the the deed video that made Kim Kardashian famous a few years ago. NOT IMPRESSED!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
Where out of state?

And I agree and disagree. Not every city/suburban kid sees a place without people as undesirable. We've attracted some recruits because of this. Fewer distractions and more time to focus on football/school. When Wyoming was putting out consistent winning teams, we were attracting kids from all over...including big cities.

Our colors are the best......but maybe that is just me.

Go Pokes!!
Seattle. You're right, not every city kid sees it that way, but it's an overwhelming majority that do. I love our colors too, but again, an overwhelming majority of non-Poke fans don't. Haha.
The Virginian
Cowpoke

Here's a look at a couple of proposed expansions of War Memorial...for S&G

Here's version 2

This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I like both of those (especially #2). Now if we can just get enough interest from fans (I'm not talking about people on this board) to fill it. Winning will do it.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Stadium seats! Stadium seats! Stadium seats! Remember: creaky ass people go to games too.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:Stadium seats! Stadium seats! Stadium seats! Remember: creaky ass people go to games too.
I'd be alright with stadium seats in the donor sections. We need to keep bleachers in the student section, though.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Been to 16, not counting Nebraska this year (if I get tickets) on this list. Still love all they've done to War Memorial, for a small market school we have to be proud!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

not counting Nebraska upcoming this year...

from the list I've been too:
Kyle Stadium. Texas A&M
Darrell K Royal Stadium, Texas
Bronco Stadium, Boise St
Folsom Field, Colorado
Falcon Stadium, Air Force
Amon Carter Stadium, TCU
Boone Pickens Stadium, Oklahoma St
Rice Eccles Stadium, Utah
LaVell Edwards Stadium, BYU
Romney Stadium, Utah St
Bulldog Stadium, Fresno St
War Memorial Stadium, Wyoming...GO POKES
Sam Boyd Stadium, UNLV
Qualcomm Stadium, SDSU
University Stadium, New Mexico
Hughes Stadium, CSU

looking forward to Hawaii, San Jose St, Nevada and Oregon or Michigan St in the future....GO POKES
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

I agree - Wyoming and War Memorial are just fine. I also agree with chairs with backs for the alumni and center sections under the Wildcatter (even though I don't sit there). Perhaps enclosing the south end with some sort of structure would help with noise...?

In terms of my frame of reference, I have been to:

War Memorial Stadium (of course, and GO POKES!)
Memorial Stadium (Lincoln)
Vaught-Hemingway Stadium (Oxford, MS)
Falcon Stadium Stadium (Colorado Springs)
Rice-Eccles Stadium (SLC)
DKR Memorial Stadium (Austin)
Michigan Stadium (Ann Arbor)
Qualcomm Stadium (SD)
University Stadium (Albuquerque)
Sam Boyd Stadium (LV)
Hughes Stadium (Fart Colons)
Cowboy Stadium - Jerryworld (Arlington - Big XII Championship)
Peden Stadium (Athens, OH)
Doyt Perry Stadium (Bowling Green)
Kyle Field (College Station)
The Glass Bowl (Toledo)
Folsom Field (Bowda)