Taylor Martinez vs. Brett Smith

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

After 2 seasons Brett Smith has posted:
5454 pass yards
47 TDs
17 INT

958 rush yards
16 TDs

6412 total yards
63 total TDs

After 3 seasons Taylor Martinez has put up:
6591 pass yards
46 TDs
27 INT

2858 rush yards
31 rush TDs

9449 total yards
77 total TDs
Last season Taylor Martinez had 2871 pass yards in 14 games averaging 205.07 pass yards a game.
Brett Smith had 2832 pass yards in 10 games averaging 283.2 pass yards a game.
Martinez had 23 TDs in 14 averaging 1.64 pass TDs a game.
Smith had 27 in 10 averaging 2.7 pass TDs a game.
Last year Martinez had 1019 rush yards averaging 72.79 rush yards a game.
Smith had 248 rush yards averaging 24.8 rush yards a game.
Martinez was sacked 34 times averaging 2.43 sacks per game.
Smith was sacked 26 times averaging 2.6 sacks per game.

Obviously Martinez runs a lot more as he is a lot quicker, but man he is not anywhere near the passer Smith is.
As a team last year, Wyoming only lost 5 fumbles and were among leaders in the NCAA. Indiana was the best at only 3 lost.
Meanwhile, Nebraska was the worst in the entire NCAA and lost 22 fumbles.

I believe I saw somewhere that Martinez has lead the NCAA in fumbles lost for the last 3 years.
Last season was Martinez best year, his breakout year, throwing 23 passing TDs, his previous best was 13, and his worst was 10.
Brett threw 20 his freshman year, and 27 last season.

There is no doubt in my mind that Wyo has the better QB by far.
Martinez is constantly a turnover waiting to happen.

Smith being a junior, might "break out" this season, and if he does, he will be very dangerous, if he stays healthy.

I won't be surprised to see Smith thoroughly out-play Martinez in Lincoln.
Pokes defense just need to force some of those turnovers that Martinez gives up so easily.

2 fumbles and a pick for Wyo, with quick, aggressive play calling by our OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR Dave Christensen, and Wyo can win.

Did I mention that Dave Christensen is calling the plays? And last time he went to Lincoln calling the plays, Mizzou embarrassed the Huskers BAD.

We are 1 month away, and BeaverPoke's homerism is now in full effect!
But really, all those stats actually show Smith is a better QB, that isn't being a homer. And the fact Nebraska gives teams extra possessions more than anyone isn't being a homer either. And knowing what a true DC offense can do isn't being a homer either!

At least Pellini doesn't have any film of the Pokes in the 3-4 defense and has never seen Uso play, that should be good for Wyo.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Isn't Taylor Martinez like 30 or something? God, feels like he's a 6th year senior.
ImageImageImageImage
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:Isn't Taylor Martinez like 30 or something? God, feels like he's a 6th year senior.
Lol, he is one of those names that people have been hearing for ever because he was a play maker his freshman year haha.
It does surprise me that he has only been in Lincoln a year longer than Smith has been in Laramie.

Kinda like Kellen Moore with Boise, I swear he played 7 years. Van Wilder style. Same with Denard Robinson, except UM kicked him out before his 8th year.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

And actually he has probably only been in Lincoln a few months longer than Smith has been in Laramie as Smith was enrolled early, and I don't think Martinez enrolled early at NU.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Martinez's playing style is similar to Colin Kaepernick before he improved his throwing mechanics going into this junior year. Disastrous thrower, dominant runner. He's effective, but not an NFL QB no doubt. Still....I wouldn't mock the dude. With that O-Line in front of him, he and his running game could put up monster numbers on UW.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:Martinez's playing style is similar to Colin Kaepernick before he improved his throwing mechanics going into this junior year. Disastrous thrower, dominant runner. He's effective, but not an NFL QB no doubt. Still....I wouldn't mock the dude. With that O-Line in front of him, he and his running game could put up monster numbers on UW.
No mocking from me, just simply stating that Smith is better.
I like Martinez. Fun player to watch. And will definitely go down as one of the best QBs in Nebraska history.
Gotta respect the kid. Went to highschool in California then went to Nebraska a program with big tradition and history and has been a very good player for Nebraska. 4 year starter. So far in 3 seasons has taken Nebraska to a big12 and big10 title game, losing both. And is 0-3 in bowl games. But will always be remembered as a Nebraska legend I think, whether he goes to the NFL or not. And he doesn't seem to be a punk like Johnny Football.
So far is 29-12 in 3 seasons. But like I said, 0-2 in conference title games, and 0-3 in bowl games. Making 0-5 in the biggest games of the year. 29-7 in the non-"big" games.
Maybe it is Pelini who can't get it done, maybe it is Taylor Martinez' mistakes. Maybe it is both. Who knows?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I thought Martinez was the worst QB the Cowboys faced 2 years ago. Martinez literally looked worse than Tebow missing wide open receivers. Not that it mattered with Nebraska's dominant line and the toss sweep to Burkhead every other play though. I'd love to see what Brett Smith could do with a line like that.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

T-Mart is excellent in a triple option offense. However, from what ive read, Beck (Nebraska o-coordinater) is trying to get more dynamic. huskers are expecting to see more utilization of their wideouts, and too me it looks like curious situation. they are counting on Martinez to become a 25-30 pass attempt per game guy??? hmmm...

we know their big package is excellent, they need to stick to it. Martinez throwing will be their Achilles Heel... but him not throwing; within their own conference will be their downfall, they have to be more balanced to compete in the BIG. its a tough spot for them to be in.

I expect them to throw more against us than we believe they will, and they will throw early. They need us to prime their offense for their conference schedule. that's why I think we can get them into a few nervous situations...

will it matter, who knows? probably not. will it be awesome to watch regardless? absolutely!

august is here... holy crap! time to get the garage cleaned out, wash out my smoker, and start feeding hints to the wife that its almost that time of year. don't make any appointments on Saturdays.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

carbonpoke wrote:T-Mart is excellent in a triple option offense. However, from what ive read, Beck (Nebraska o-coordinater) is trying to get more dynamic. huskers are expecting to see more utilization of their wideouts, and too me it looks like curious situation. they are counting on Martinez to become a 25-30 pass attempt per game guy??? hmmm...

we know their big package is excellent, they need to stick to it. Martinez throwing will be their Achilles Heel... but him not throwing; within their own conference will be their downfall, they have to be more balanced to compete in the BIG. its a tough spot for them to be in.

I expect them to throw more against us than we believe they will, and they will throw early. They need us to prime their offense for their conference schedule. that's why I think we can get them into a few nervous situations...

will it matter, who knows? probably not. will it be awesome to watch regardless? absolutely!

august is here... holy crap! time to get the garage cleaned out, wash out my smoker, and start feeding hints to the wife that its almost that time of year. don't make any appointments on Saturdays.
Agreed. Martinez would be perfect for running the triple option, but a pocket passer he is not. Smith has him beat as a passer hands down. Even Husker fans I've talked to admit this.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

BUMP

Since it is game week and there are Nebraska fans here in WyoNation
Landlordos7
Buckaroo

Nice thread (for the most part :P ).

Here's the points I would add about Martinez, without taking anything away from Smith.

1. 2013 Taylor Martinez is a dramatically different and more improved football player than your recollection of 2011 Taylor Martinez. He was battling an ankle injury and turf-toe in both big toes all season long, which had really noticeable effects on his passing ability (he was a better passer his freshman year). Further, he's been diligent in seeking outside help and training over the last few offseasons.

2. Taylor is actually awful at running the true option - the thought of him in a triple option offense makes me shudder. He's a poor man's RGIII - He's actually better as a drop-back pocket passer than rolling out, but deadly in the run game with designed carries out of zone-read plays.

Also, comparing career numbers is fine and applicable, but to show that the product you'll see Saturday isn't the JV scrub of a thrower you think he is, let's compare specifically last season (took these numbers from knapplc and also posted them in the GTS thread). I know Smith played in less games, but I'm concerned with the quality statistics versus the quantity ones (QBR and Accuracy):

SOS Faced
Smith - 101
Martinez - 20

QB Rating
Smith - 157.7
Martinez - 141.6

Passing Yards
Smith - 2,837
Martinez - 2,871

Touchdowns Passing
Smith - 27
Martinez - 23

Interceptions Thrown
Smith - 6
Martinez - 12

Completion Percentage
Smith - 62%
Martinez - 62%

Top 30 Pass Defenses Faced
Smith - 2
Martinez - 6

Record Against Top 30
Smith - 0-2
Martinez - 4-2
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Ok, what I don't get is that you defend Martinez because of his injury in 2011, yet when comparing Smith last season, there is no mention of his concussions.
Martinez is good like I said, but not the passer Smith is. Martinez may be built for Nebraska's offense, but Smith is the better QB. Even with the adjusted defenses, Smith ends up as a better QB producing more for his team.
I don't know if you saw that article comparing SEC to MWC quartebacks, but the MWC had 6 in the Top 25 from last year which was adjusted for opposing defenses.
knapplc
Buckaroo

BeaverPoke wrote:I don't know if you saw that article comparing SEC to MWC quartebacks, but the MWC had 6 in the Top 25 from last year which was adjusted for opposing defenses.
If you're referring to the ESPN article about the Manning Watch List, it's probably important to note that Brett Smith was not mentioned in that article as one of the stars to watch. The QBs they focused on in that article are Fales, Carr and Keeton. Smith was just listed amongst the other QBs returning in the MWC. He's on the Manning Watch List, but so is Taylor Martinez.

It's also important to note that this article isn't saying that MWC defenses = SEC defense, or that MWC QBs = SEC QBs. It's simply saying that, statistically, MWC QBs account for a similar amount of yardage against MWC defenses as SEC QBs account for against SEC defenses. The SEC defenses are far superior to those in the MWC - I don't think there's any argument about that.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

knapplc wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:I don't know if you saw that article comparing SEC to MWC quartebacks, but the MWC had 6 in the Top 25 from last year which was adjusted for opposing defenses.
If you're referring to the ESPN article about the Manning Watch List, it's probably important to note that Brett Smith was not mentioned in that article as one of the stars to watch. The QBs they focused on in that article are Fales, Carr and Keeton. Smith was just listed amongst the other QBs returning in the MWC. He's on the Manning Watch List, but so is Taylor Martinez.

It's also important to note that this article isn't saying that MWC defenses = SEC defense, or that MWC QBs = SEC QBs. It's simply saying that, statistically, MWC QBs account for a similar amount of yardage against MWC defenses as SEC QBs account for against SEC defenses. The SEC defenses are far superior to those in the MWC - I don't think there's any argument about that.
No poop SEC defenses are better than MWC defenses. That's why I didn't say they were. The QB ratings were ADJUSTED to STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE. The difference in defenses is accounted for, just like I said. The MWC QBs are amazing, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 4 or 5 of them in the NFL in the next few years.
knapplc
Buckaroo

BeaverPoke wrote:
knapplc wrote:

No poop SEC defenses are better than MWC defenses. That's why I didn't say they were. The QB ratings were ADJUSTED to STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE. The difference in defenses is accounted for, just like I said. The MWC QBs are amazing, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 4 or 5 of them in the NFL in the next few years.
You're still not getting it. "The MWC QBs are amazing" AGAINST MWC DEFENSES.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

knapplc wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
knapplc wrote:

You really are not getting it. They adjust it dude. After adjustments, the 6 MWC QB's are on par with those 5 SEC QB's. This isn't MWC vs. MWC. This is QB's vs defenses in general. Adjustments were made. Adjustments were made. How many times do I have to say that? They aren't saying these MWC QB's are good because they face MWC defenses. They are saying that the MWC QB's are just as good as those SEC QB's. Again, the adjustments were made in the stats when they did it.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
knapplc wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
knapplc wrote:

You really are not getting it. They adjust it dude. After adjustments, the 6 MWC QB's are on par with those 5 SEC QB's. This isn't MWC vs. MWC. This is QB's vs defenses in general. Adjustments were made. Adjustments were made. How many times do I have to say that? They aren't saying these MWC QB's are good because they face MWC defenses. They are saying that the MWC QB's are just as good as those SEC QB's. Again, the adjustments were made in the stats when they did it.
I'd give it up Beaver......Brett will prove your point on Saturday.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Strength of Schedule adjustments are like golfing with a handicap! It is a diluted scale, and a poor comparison tool. It is used by everyone because it is all they have minus head to head competition. THE BCS struggled with it for years, it is one of the big reasons we are pursuing a playoff scenario now. Just sayin......
knapplc
Buckaroo

I get that it's adjusted. That simply means that MWC QBs are as good AGAINST MWC DEFENSES as SEC QBs are against SEC defenses.

This isn't rocket science.
trouble
Buckaroo

Slow Hand wrote:Strength of Schedule adjustments are like golfing with a handicap! It is a diluted scale, and a poor comparison tool. It is used by everyone because it is all they have minus head to head competition. THE BCS struggled with it for years, it is one of the big reasons we are pursuing a playoff scenario now. Just sayin......

Precisely. You can adjust things all you want, but there is no comparison to playing against Idaho, and playing against UGA. You can't finagle stats around to directly compare QBS that week in and week out play SEC defenses with more speed and talent to QBs that play against Idaho, and Colorado State that are visibly slower and less athletic.