fund raising idea

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

I don't know why this just hit me... but it could be brilliant.

hold a Real-Deal Cattle Branding event. a day long adventure, at a nearby ranch. someplace with space. bus in the players, bring some footballs and some bbq equipment. cheap entrance fee.

it would get the city players in touch with our history, introduce players to the community. maybe even have an oyster fry for the daring. Music, coaches, and cowboys. Do it annually.

I was thinking of the dembo sports illustrated cover, and bam. A branding event.

and don't just involve the football team, bring any player (female/male) to the event. bring out wyoming children and let them develop a relationship with the university.

have some "old-tame" horses to ride. maybe even have some local bands play. is it the little brothers band? something brothers band... you know what I mean.

maybe its too much? I think it would be cool.
Last edited by carbonpoke on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Younger brothers band... found it. have a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vtlATBY4T4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

could do it in kaycee as tribute to ledoux. that would be a long trip though...

could do it anywhere... just adding thoughts.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I really like this idea.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

that's a great idea, but in the fall the calves are probably already branded, and really tough to handle, but I like it, esp the Oyster fry!!! LOL
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

no it would have to be in the spring when the calves are ready. but all the students and athletes would be in school... do it in april on a weekend with plenty of advertisement.

but here's the deal... many cjc donors are ranchers. all it would take is a phone call from randy welniak to a few ranchers. if it was a joint effort between the university student body and cjc... provided that cjc wasn't providing anything but the cattle. welniak could offer a break to the donor... if you provide the cattle, it takes care of your annual gift for the year the cattle are provided. then rotate ranchers each year.

have the logistics and management for the event ran by business and marketing grad students of Wyoming as a special projects assignment. the student body reps setup, run, and close the site. they keep the earnings for a future projects fund.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

even better, email Welniak the idea
hithere
Ranch Hand

If memory serves, I think the team used to go out to the Silver Spur between Encampment and Saratoga on a regular basis. It wasn't a huge fund raising event like you're suggesting, but more of a team trip/bbq hosted by the Yorks. I don't recall specifics.

Good idea; I'd go. Hopefully the NCAA doesn't have a rule against it if players are involved.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

I emailed him. I will let you guys know what happens.
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

Depending on when, I'd bring my family from Iowa to something like this! Would be awesome! Something in the Fall could be good too though. Even if you just did a makeshift rodeo or a big bbq with a local band. You could have "tech-ers" come out and ride some bulls. The thing I really like about it, is you could get our younger athletes out there and embrace them with the local culture. Would be pretty cool.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 1 time

Do it the same day as the Spring Game. Have the game in late morning and the branding in the afternoon
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

yup, how cool would it be too have our kids watch (hypothetically) larry nance jr brand a calf, or uso olive try rocky mountain oysters for the first time.

Branding in Wyoming, and my uncle has a ranch, is a coming of age event. its like killing your first hunt, then eating the heart. I was about 10 when I went to my first brand. We didn't have oysters, but I have since...

and eating oysters is kinda a coming of age event too. Its an old tradition. but its built around community, laughter, and hard work.

it would be kick ass!

a chili cook-off, catching a muddy pig.

uw students would get an education on running a large scale event. cjc would get exposure to the state. the youth gains the most, as they have fun and fall in love with event. I would bring my family from Washington too.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Spring Game would be perfect. Start getting people in the stands for the game, and then get the players involved with the fans right after.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 1 time

BeaverPoke wrote:Spring Game would be perfect. Start getting people in the stands for the game, and then get the players involved with the fans right after.
They could even build pens in one of the crappy open fields near the stadium.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

wow, I think you're on too something. could do it at the Laramie fairgrounds, and go into the night.

pending on how many people projected to go... would determine resource needs.
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

It could be something that could be advertised heavily across the state. How cool would it be to get 15-20k at the spring game! If you had something like this that would attract more people...that would be so cool. That plus a winning team could make it happen!