Wyoming @ Nebraska - GTS

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
scotchfrost97
Buckaroo

WYCowboy wrote:
scotchfrost97 wrote:Better hope Cal Poly doesn't roll into town :lmao:
Or Whisky.
Haha.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Does anybody remember the Utah of 2002, 2003, and 2004??????? Utah comes into 2003 coming off of a 5-6 record. Does anyone think anything of it probably not. I know myself I didn't, didnt have much to think of other than we have a new coach and we are coming off of a 2-10 record ourselves. Not much to really think about at that point. The only people that thought Utah would do well that year are probably Utah fans themselves much like Wyoming fans this year.

Utah comes into 2003 off of a 5-6 record like previously stated and goes 9-2 winning the Liberty Bowl making them 10-2. Quarterback was a respected but little talked about junior. (Alex Smith ring any bells?) They win the conference. Alas they lose to their only BCS school by 2 points AT Texas A&M. Not as good as Nebraska but making comparisons here.

Then the following year Utah goes into 2004 with a much more known quarterback being a senior and having an impressive junior campaign he wows everyone, the offense explodes, they run the table and end up in a BCS game and win it again Pitt. Finishing the regular season at 11-0 and after the bowl they are 12-0 and finish 4th in the BCS final rankings.

Now for us Wyoming fans to truly believe we will beat Nebraska have at it. I have my blinders on 24/7. But scenarios are too familiar for me to dive right in and say we will win. I truly believe the next two years will end up much like Utah did in 2002, 2003, and 2004. Just wait. Next year will be our year. We have our work cut out for us with Oregon and Michigan State on the slate, but if we win one of the two were well on our way to being in the first NCAA playoffs.

Not a very good post but something to look into. I mean it could happen the cards seem to be eerily similar.
busch_0001
Buckaroo

Husker Fan here.

This is definitely not a flame even though some will think it is. I watched Wyoming a couple times last year and love the offense. I know they will put up points barring injury on either side. I do think the Nebraska offense is going to take the game over but it could be close.

I see 2 scenarios playing out:

1 Nebraska 49 Wyoming 36
2 Nebraska 56 Wyoming 17

I think it will come down to 2 positions on the field and both come from Nebraska's defense. If any Wyoming fans had watched the Wisconsin game, they would have seen 2 glaring holes on the NU defense. Those were defensive end and safety. I am a huge husker fan and I went back and watched some of that game, even though it made me sick, and it was some of the worst safety play I have ever seen. If the NU d-ends can pressure smith and NU has decent safety play, I think its a blowout. If they can pressure Smith, I can see some turnovers happening but If these 2 positions are not upgraded then I see it being the first outcome, maybe worse for NU.

Just my 2 cents, like I said, just trying to give my honest input on how I see the game going. I would be betting a whole bunch of money either way if I had seen those 2 positions for Nebraska already.
StickNnod
Buckaroo

Iowa State LOL -

if the pokes get 8 turnovers like the cyclowns did in that game, they will almost certainly win.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

StickNnod wrote:Iowa State LOL -

if the pokes get 8 turnovers like the cyclowns did in that game, they will almost certainly win.
There's no almost about it. If you give B-Smith an extra free 8 possesions Wyo should blow Nebraska out. 8 turnovers is INSANE. Unrealistic to think anything like that will happen. Wyo needs 2-3 to stay in it, while not turning it over at all. IF Nebraska has 8 turnovers Wyo should win by 21 at least.
I mean wow 8 freaking turnovers is CRAZY.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I'm going with Nebraska 63 Wyoming 28. I still think we have a decent season, 6+ wins and a bowl game. But I have a feeling our defense will not be prepared at all this week. If our passing game doesn't start out fast, it could get uglier.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
StickNnod wrote:Iowa State LOL -

There's no almost about it. If you give B-Smith an extra free 8 possesions Wyo should blow Nebraska out. 8 turnovers is INSANE. Unrealistic to think anything like that will happen. Wyo needs 2-3 to stay in it, while not turning it over at all. IF Nebraska has 8 turnovers Wyo should win by 21 at least.
I mean wow 8 freaking turnovers is CRAZY.
I once watched Stephen F Austin (the FCS's #1 offense) turn the ball over 10 times in Washington-Grizzly once. Ended 51-0.
ImageImageImageImage
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

If Wyoming can't stop, toss sweep left or toss sweep right, we are in for a similar game to last year. Maybe we put up more points. If we can stop the run early, we have a chance. Martinez couldn't hold Smith's jock, but he might not need to do anything but scramble a few times here or there for a TD or a first down. Our secondary cant be good until we stop the run.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Landlordos7
Buckaroo

laxwyo wrote:If Wyoming can't stop, toss sweep left or toss sweep right, we are in for a similar game to last year. Maybe we put up more points. If we can stop the run early, we have a chance. Martinez couldn't hold Smith's jock, but he might not need to do anything but scramble a few times here or there for a TD or a first down. Our secondary cant be good until we stop the run.
Stopping the run early might, hypothetically, be easy enough. It will be stopping the run in the third and fourth quarters that will decide whether you have a puncher's chance or not.

Also, Martinez had nearly identical numbers to Smith last year, plus 800 more rushing yards (and against much stronger defenses, strictly from a statistical standpoint).

beaverpoke wrote:I mean wow 8 freaking turnovers is CRAZY.
It was crazy. Not a single person in that stadium had an actual thought that we could lose that game until the interception on our last drive. Until that point it was essentially just, "Okay....we're going to wait patiently until we score because it has to happen eventually." Most bizarre game I've ever seen.
trouble
Buckaroo

Landlordos7 wrote:
It was crazy. Not a single person in that stadium had an actual thought that we could lose that game until the interception on our last drive. Until that point it was essentially just, "Okay....we're going to wait patiently until we score because it has to happen eventually." Most bizarre game I've ever seen.

Especially the Niles Paul one running down the sideline...it was just like: Did that REALLY just happen?!?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Landlordos, remember Smith didn't play in 2 games, and there was another 2 he didn't finish, one due to a vicious late hit that gave him a concussion, and one because he got ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct for taking his helmet off before he reached the sideline. He was like 5 feet from the sideline and took it off.

I like Taylor Martinez, and think he is an exciting QB but the truth is, he is not the QB Brett Smith is. Brett Smith can throw, and throw well. He is a dual threat. Martinez is a run first QB. And not nearly as accurate. Smith had 27 TDs last season, Martinez had 23. Martinez also played in 14 games while Brett only played in 10 and finished 8. So you might want to re-think the stat comparisons. If they both play 13 games this season, the only better stat Martinez will have is rush yards and likely rush TDs. Smith will destroy him in pass TDs, pass yards (won't even be close) and he will throw fewer picks.
Again, I like Martinez but he is not in the same class as Brett Smith.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
T-Magic3
Buckaroo

laxwyo wrote:If Wyoming can't stop, toss sweep left or toss sweep right, we are in for a similar game to last year. Maybe we put up more points. If we can stop the run early, we have a chance. Martinez couldn't hold Smith's jock, but he might not need to do anything but scramble a few times here or there for a TD or a first down. Our secondary cant be good until we stop the run.
I recently saw a list, on maybe USA today, that didnt even have Brett Smith in the MWC top ten players. Granted it was only one site, but from what you guys preach about Brett, he probably should make any and every list possible. What has Smith done at UW? He helped lead you guys to a stellar 4 win season. The opponents combined record of UW's wins last year was 10-38. Maybe before making asinine comments about Martinez holding Smiths jock, open your eyes. Everyone here criticizes Taylor's throwing motion. After 2011, he changed his motion. It's not Tom Brady esq. but it is improved. Smith's is prettier and more efficient, but he gets a little Vince Young like with his short throwing motion. Taylor was first team Big Ten (coaches). Did Smith even make the all mighty MWC anything? I believe it was honorable mention. They must not carry anything besides Wyoming games out there in beautiful Rock Springs. I'm sure glad Wyoming fans love Smith, because you don't have much else to gloat about.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

T-Magic3 wrote:
I recently saw a list, on maybe USA today, that didnt even have Brett Smith in the MWC top ten players. Granted it was only one site, but from what you guys preach about Brett, he probably should make any and every list possible. What has Smith done at UW? He helped lead you guys to a stellar 4 win season. The opponents combined record of UW's wins last year was 10-38. Maybe before making asinine comments about Martinez holding Smiths jock, open your eyes. Everyone here criticizes Taylor's throwing motion. After 2011, he changed his motion. It's not Tom Brady esq. but it is improved. Smith's is prettier and more efficient, but he gets a little Vince Young like with his short throwing motion. Taylor was first team Big Ten (coaches). Did Smith even make the all mighty MWC anything? I believe it was honorable mention. They must not carry anything besides Wyoming games out there in beautiful Rock Springs. I'm sure glad Wyoming fans love Smith, because you don't have much else to gloat about.
After Smith's freshman season he a Freshman All-American. He was also listed in many MWC previews as the best QB in the MWC last season. He was injured and the team went downhill without him, and the team all but gave up. Hard to get motivated when you are 1-6 or something like that.
He is on the Manning watchlist for the 2nd year in a row and he was 10th in the COUNTRY in QB rating last season. Look some poop up before you go off of what some east coast guy who doens't know ANYTHING about the MWC writes about us.
In 10 games he threw 4 more TDs than Martinez did in 14. Do some research bud, you will find that Smith is a better QB than Martinez.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Not to mention he worked with the Manning brothers, Jeff Garcia, and Drew Brees in the offseason.
But go ahead and keep ignoring the stats and facts. That's a great way to look at things.
The team sucked and fell apart last season. We lost to an FCS school, with a QB who is now our 4th string QB. Yes it happened, blame that on Coach Christensen not utilizing his best players when Smith was out, do not blame that on Brett Smith not being a good QB.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

And another thing about the 4-8 season, had Brett Smith played against Cal Poly, and AFA, you can chalk those up as wins for sure. We lost to Cal Poly with our now 4th stringer by like 2, and we lost to AFA by 1 with our now 2nd stringer, who, although is going to be good, is not anywhere near Brett Smith's level. If Brett Smith finishes the Toledo game, there is a good chance that the Pokes win. Not a for sure thing, but about a 50/50 chance. And didn't Toledo end up in the Top 25 last season? And if Smith finished the Nevada game, you can probably count that as a win, because the Pokes just needed 1 first down to run out the clock, which again, our 4th string QB screwed up.
That takes the Pokes to a 6-6 at worst, likely a 7-5 and maybe an 8-4. Either way, the team gets back to a Bowl Game.
Last season was a total fluke, not a normal season for the Pokes.
Then who knows, the Pokes might have something to play for in the rest of the games where they lost (Boise, Fresno, SDSU).
If Smith doesn't go down in the 4th quarter against Toledo in game 2, the Pokes go to a Bowl Game, and likely end with a winning record.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Some worrisome news out of the Cowboy camp. It seems the Scout team offense if completing passes at will against our number ones and twos. But with receivers like Brown, Sewell, Berger, Maulhart, and Simpson who would expect anything less i guess. DC has been pissed to say the least the last few practices! Wyo has a new GA from Oregon who is a psycho who is running the scout O.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Slow Hand wrote:Some worrisome news out of the Cowboy camp. It seems the Scout team offense if completing passes at will against our number ones and twos. But with receivers like Brown, Sewell, Berger, Maulhart, and Simpson who would expect anything less i guess. DC has been pissed to say the least the last few practices! Wyo has a new GA from Oregon who is a psycho who is running the scout O.
I think Thompson is the scout offense QB as he is expected to red-shirt and is the closest thing we have to Taylor Made in terms of running and athletic ability. I could be wrong though. I sure hope it isn't Kirkgaard embarrassing the defense.

Link? Where did you hear about the Oregon psycho? lol
Landlordos7
Buckaroo

BeaverPoke wrote: I like Taylor Martinez, and think he is an exciting QB but the truth is, he is not the QB Brett Smith is. Brett Smith can throw, and throw well. He is a dual threat. Martinez is a run first QB. And not nearly as accurate.
Again, I like Martinez but he is not in the same class as Brett Smith.

Agreed on the statement that he isn't the same quarterback Brett Smith is. They are in fact very different quarterbacks, with different skillsets, you are right. Smith seems like a baller from my outsider's perspective, but I think Wyoming fan's general perception is still based off of 2011 which is a different quarterback than 2013 Taylor Martinez is as well.

The Manning camp that you all keep referencing? Guess who else has been there the last two years (hint: Taylor Martinez). He went and trained with Jeff Garcia? Martinez has spent the last two offseasons training with Steve Calhoun, who's coached Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Nick Foles, E.J. Manuel and others. His dropbacks are better, his footwork is better, his throwing motion is better (2011 Martinez adjusted his motion to compensate for injury), his reads are better and his percentages are better. He's also a dual-threat in the true sense of the word and not a run-first QB as you suggest. I could give proof, but you'll either believe it or won't.

What I really don't understand is how he's not nearly as accurate when the two quarterbacks have exactly the same accuracy.

SOS Faced
Smith - 101
Martinez - 20

QB Rating
Smith - 157.7
Martinez - 141.6

Passing Yards
Smith - 2,837
Martinez - 2,871

Touchdowns Passing
Smith - 27
Martinez - 23

Interceptions Thrown
Smith - 6
Martinez - 12

Completion Percentage
Smith - 62%
Martinez - 62%

Top 30 Pass Defenses Faced
Smith - 2
Martinez - 6

Record Against Top 30
Smith - 0-2
Martinez - 4-2
T-Magic3
Buckaroo

BeaverPoke wrote:Not to mention he worked with the Manning brothers, Jeff Garcia, and Drew Brees in the offseason.
But go ahead and keep ignoring the stats and facts. That's a great way to look at things.
The team sucked and fell apart last season. We lost to an FCS school, with a QB who is now our 4th string QB. Yes it happened, blame that on Coach Christensen not utilizing his best players when Smith was out, do not blame that on Brett Smith not being a good QB.
I think a Nebraska QB went to a Manning camp or two himself. I know all the facts about UW since I attend school there. I agree that if Smith was healthy the team probably gets 6 wins and he potentially receives more accolades and attention he deserves. If we ran your offense, I would pick Smith 99.9% of time. Taylor is a perfect fit in Beck's offense. The best Quarterbacks don't always need great passing stats in college football. Tim Tebow nearly won two hiesmans for god sakes. There is no doubt, both Quarterbacks lead their teams, both are great players and seem to be even better people. No need for Taylor to hold Smiths jock, as Smith will be busy trying to avoid number 44 in scarlet and cream. :popcorn:
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

BeaverPoke wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:Some worrisome news out of the Cowboy camp. It seems the Scout team offense if completing passes at will against our number ones and twos. But with receivers like Brown, Sewell, Berger, Maulhart, and Simpson who would expect anything less i guess. DC has been pissed to say the least the last few practices! Wyo has a new GA from Oregon who is a psycho who is running the scout O.
I think Thompson is the scout offense QB as he is expected to red-shirt and is the closest thing we have to Taylor Made in terms of running and athletic ability. I could be wrong though. I sure hope it isn't Kirkgaard embarrassing the defense.

Link? Where did you hear about the Oregon psycho? lol
It is Kirkagard and the new freshman....#13? And I don't think they are redshirting Jason.