Old School #16

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WestSalemFootballFan
Buckaroo

Back when Brett was in high school, I always thought he looked like a man among boys. He's matured for sure, but he really plays the same way he did back then. This is from the HUGE rivalry game in Salem his senior year, thought you guys might get a kick out of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... mxX_VeL0bA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Classic...good stuff!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Awesome thanks for sharing!
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

WestSalemFootballFan wrote:Back when Brett was in high school, I always thought he looked like a man among boys. He's matured for sure, but he really plays the same way he did back then. This is from the HUGE rivalry game in Salem his senior year, thought you guys might get a kick out of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... mxX_VeL0bA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Awesome! Now let's work on getting that little brother to Laramie.....
:bow:
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Wyolie Coyote wrote:
WestSalemFootballFan wrote:Back when Brett was in high school, I always thought he looked like a man among boys. He's matured for sure, but he really plays the same way he did back then. This is from the HUGE rivalry game in Salem his senior year, thought you guys might get a kick out of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... mxX_VeL0bA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Awesome! Now let's work on getting that little brother to Laramie.....
:bow:

Too bad this isnt Bama, Auburn USC or Oregon and we could just pool some cash together.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Brett Smith runs over people. It's awesome.

How many other players from that team went to play college ball?

Also, did anyone read the comments? Someone commented and said "Team Brett Smith. No wonder South went farther in the playoffs."
What was that supposed to mean? Brett is a self-centered player or were they implying Brett was the only good player on the team?

Either way, I would actually love to see Brett or Cade Smith's West Salem team play any of the Wyo high schools.
Like Evanston. Hahahaha....it would be so bad.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I like the jump pass at the 4:15 mark. I don't believe we have seen Brett pull out that one yet in the Brown & Gold.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote:I like the jump pass at the 4:15 mark. I don't believe we have seen Brett pull out that one yet in the Brown & Gold.

What I dont understand, is how the hell did these recruiting sites rank Brett Smith as a two Star Qb? In a way im glad, because if he was a three or four star Qb we probably wouldn't have him on our team. Our coaching staff has done a great job finding those diamonds in the rough or overlooked players.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

mwc fan wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:I like the jump pass at the 4:15 mark. I don't believe we have seen Brett pull out that one yet in the Brown & Gold.

What I dont understand, is how the hell did these recruiting sites rank Brett Smith as a two Star Qb? In a way im glad, because if he was a three or four star Qb we probably wouldn't have him on our team. Our coaching staff has done a great job finding those diamonds in the rough or overlooked players.
You got me as well. I watch that video and see an extremely talented HS QB that could play anywhere in the country. If he played HS football in Houston or Dallas, no doubt Brett SMith would be a 4* recruit. DC certainly has a great eye for QBs.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

On another site I post on a bunch of nub fans were discussing Brett and one of them said something to the effect of "how does a qb like that fall through the cracks?"

I had to respond asking how does starting at qb for a FBS school count as "falling through the cracks"
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
WestSalemFootballFan
Buckaroo

I personally was thankful he didn't wind up a Duck, just because I'm not a Chip Kelly fan. But for OSU not to offer him was insane IMO. He just let his frustration of the recruiting process out on the field. I know he could have flourished at other schools, but to see the way Wyoming has embraced him; it's pretty obvious he is where he's supposed to be.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

WestSalemFootballFan wrote:I personally was thankful he didn't wind up a Duck, just because I'm not a Chip Kelly fan. But for OSU not to offer him was insane IMO. He just let his frustration of the recruiting process out on the field. I know he could have flourished at other schools, but to see the way Wyoming has embraced him; it's pretty obvious he is where he's supposed to be.
And we are happy to have him! :thumb:
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

mwc fan wrote:

Mathematics will only take you so far. The bigger schools have a good idea of what football team is what in high school football and they look at the statistics around the player. This works pretty well. Where it fails is when it comes to trying to define emotions, ethics, drive, and the rest of the human experience.

The models break down at a certain point. This is how the guys slip through the cracks.
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

These "experts" don't measure heart. As long as they ignore that aspect of the game, players as special as B Smith will always "slip through the cracks" as they put it. :twocents:

It's not like it ended at the end of his high school career. Don't forget that a lot of people on here, even as recent as last season were saying that Pittser was the future, Brett was just the short term guy until Pittser developed. Kid plays w/ a chip on his shoulder. Kids like that are scary.

Go Pokes!
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

Wyogogo wrote:These "experts" don't measure heart. As long as they ignore that aspect of the game, players as special as B Smith will always "slip through the cracks" as they put it. :twocents:

It's not like it ended at the end of his high school career. Don't forget that a lot of people on here, even as recent as last season were saying that Pittser was the future, Brett was just the short term guy until Pittser developed. Kid plays w/ a chip on his shoulder. Kids like that are scary.

Go Pokes!
again.....what "crack" did brett smith slip through?
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

whyoh wrote:
Wyogogo wrote:These "experts" don't measure heart. As long as they ignore that aspect of the game, players as special as B Smith will always "slip through the cracks" as they put it. :twocents:

Go Pokes!
again.....what "crack" did brett smith slip through?
Exactly. Brett was not an unknown prospect and he ended up signing with a MWC school. That is not falling through the cracks.
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

It meant his home state showed him no love when he could have played there and done well. The schools in his own backyard (PAC 12) said that he wasn't good enough, and they could've had him. That is what slipping through the cracks means. I'm sure initially very few kids want to move as far away from family as he did. I'm stoked for the Pokes though, as it ended up working out perfectly. Don't take it as disrespect. It wasn't a bash on the MWC it was a bash on the PAC 12 recruiters.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyogogo wrote:It meant his home state showed him no love when he could have played there and done well. The schools in his own backyard (PAC 12) said that he wasn't good enough, and they could've had him. That is what slipping through the cracks means. I'm sure initially very few kids want to move as far away from family as he did. I'm stoked for the Pokes though, as it ended up working out perfectly. Don't take it as disrespect. It wasn't a bash on the MWC it was a bash on the PAC 12 recruiters.
Riley and Kelly really screwed up. Both OS and UO have very good QBs, but I would rather have Smith than either of them.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.