After heavy consideration, in the best interest of WyoNation and our members, I am most likely going to remove Tapatalk support as soon as possible. This decision doesn't come lightly, but we can't continue to ignore the issues introduced by Tapatalk in terms of shady business practices, security holes, and invasion of privacy that have come from their growth.
What is Tapatalk?
Tapatalk is an application that allows members to browse and participate in online forums via mobile devices.
Why am I doing this?
Unfortunately, over the years the company's business practices and the direction development has taken have been to the disadvantage of not only webmasters and forum hosts, but also forum members.
- Updates are inconvenient and infrequent.
- Tapatalk support is poor and slow. Critical threads on their own forum are frequently closed or deleted.
- Tapatalk has in the past opened several possible security holes without alerting webmasters of the vulnerability for months. This vulnerability could have allowed attackers to gain access to members' credentials.
- Tapatalk started to divert users to login through their own instead of the forum's login function.
- The Tapatalk search function is now diluted with results from other websites.
- Tapatalk keeps removing/disregarding usergroup permissions.
- Forum registration via Tapatalk is a potential gateway for spammers (we currently fight many spam bots per day who register through Tapatalk and skip all of the anti-bot technology we've put in place)
- Tapatalk keeps adding annoying popups to the site
- Tapatalk seems to be keeping a copy of each forum's content on their servers. They have not asked permission for this and we do not condone that.
- Last but not least, many site features (blogs, schedules, additional planned functionality) do not work or are not exposed through the Tapatalk app.
The forum now supports a fully responsive theme and experience. That means that the forum display, including the navigation menu, automatically adapts to the screen size of the device used.
I apologise to those who enjoy the functionality of Tapatalk, but beg you to consider the security and privacy concerns the application raises, not to mention its technical limitations and the company's dubious business practices. I invite you to try out the mobile version of our site through the web browser on your device. It's a lot better than what it used to be.
The only potential downside of removing Tapatalk is the lack of instant push notifications. The forum does send out notification emails, however, they are not always instant.
Please let me know your thoughts on this as I will try my best to keep the egriz experience as best as it can be for you.
Thanks for your understanding!