AFA Matchup

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Having watched just a little of the Falcons this year, I think WYO matches up fairly well. Speed on D, sticking to your D assignment football, and some coach experience makes it a good pre-game look for the Pokes. If the D comes to play, this is a very winnable game.

:twocents:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Agreed. 2 weeks to prepare for assignment football. Muma, Blankenbaker and Coldon on defense. I like our chances. Muma could have 20 tackles in this type of game.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

The importance of having a bye week before AFA and conference play can't be overstated.

I really like our run defense, we have a strong history defending the option under Bohl.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

This is a huge game for the Pokes that will establish our status in the MWC. We’re very fortunate to have a bye week to prep.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I'll be interested to see AF @ NM. I bet that NM will shut down AF's rushing attack reasonably well. And if NM can do it, I think we can, too. AF's defense is nothing to write home about this year to boot
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

I think we have a shot. This team still has not found a way to lose. It's true no matter how dumb it sounds, lol. We've made the big plays that have led to wins.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:34 am I think we have a shot. This team still has not found a way to lose. It's true no matter how dumb it sounds, lol. We've made the big plays that have led to wins.
Ya no sh** we have shot... in fact there's a solid chance we will be favored.. It isn't like we are going to AFA as massive underdogs
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

As has been mentioned the bye before AFA and conference play couldn't come at a better time. This team will only go as far as what they can do on the road, which so far hasn't been great in non-conference play. However, AFA feels like the one that starts building a little momentum.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Did anyone get to watch AFA and UNM? I only saw highlights and UNM looked like they were running in mud on defense. Even so, AFA appears to present significant issues for us. We'd better be ready or we will get housed. No more UConn/MSU/NIU BS. Pedal to the metal for the entire game.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:06 am Having watched just a little of the Falcons this year, I think WYO matches up fairly well. Speed on D, sticking to your D assignment football, and some coach experience makes it a good pre-game look for the Pokes. If the D comes to play, this is a very winnable game.

:twocents:
Agreed. We have the pieces on d this year to put a hurting on the AFA offense. We have Muma in the middle, a secondary that can tackle, and a safety that can bring the wood. With a bye week to get more assignement sound, this is a winnable road game.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Really interesting couple of weeks for the defense. They'll be tested heavily on the run/option attack followed by a pretty decent passing attack.

For the AF matchup specifically, the O is going to have to put some points up. AF has been a pretty high scoring team, but I'm not sure about their D? My biggest worry is a few "homerun plays" out of AF's passing game. Bohl has been good at getting the team ready.

I'm really excited for this game and the Fresno game--both AF and Fresno are at minimum solid MWC teams. We'll really be able to judge where this POKES team is at--I don't think we've seen the best of the 2021 POKES yet.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Flo4wyo
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:57 pm I'll be interested to see AF @ NM. I bet that NM will shut down AF's rushing attack reasonably well. And if NM can do it, I think we can, too. AF's defense is nothing to write home about this year to boot
Yep this post aged well! LMAO!!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

We are +4 with a total of 48.5. Considering we've been huge favorites in every game except NIU, we're about to find out if we are any good or not.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Flo4wyo wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:23 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:57 pm I'll be interested to see AF @ NM. I bet that NM will shut down AF's rushing attack reasonably well. And if NM can do it, I think we can, too. AF's defense is nothing to write home about this year to boot
Yup. AF demolished NM. AF is a decent team for sure, and it's becoming apparent that NM sucks pretty bad. So that means, naturally, we'll struggle with NM.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:03 pm
Flo4wyo wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:23 am
Yup. AF demolished NM. AF is a decent team for sure, and it's becoming apparent that NM sucks pretty bad. So that means, naturally, we'll struggle with NM.
AF is interesting. usu lit them up especially with the passing game but AF is still ranked 12th nationally in yards allowed. I'm guessing that means their D played pretty well the other games. usu is ranked pretty high on offense but so is FL Atlantic (inflated by big yards/scores against bad competition). Navy and UNM are terrible offenses.

I think the game rests in Chambers' hands, but, imo, both WYO and AF are a bit unknown at this stage of the season.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Some things never change...like Air Force going for the lower legs. Chop blocking mother f-word.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Welch caught that! Terrible call on the field.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Been liked: 16 times

We look flat, the team needs to wake up and get some energy
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Been liked: 16 times

D let's afa methodically run the entire field and score. O starts with a penalty then 3 plays for 0 yards and a punt. Couldn't be a worse start especially with 2 weeks to prepare
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Wow. No offense and little defense. What a disappointment.