Wyoming @ Boise State Game Thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

ImageImage
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

J-Rod, you are a man of few words. Good for you.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Adv8RU12 wrote:J-Rod, you are a man of few words. Good for you.
lol Nothing needs to be said until 5:00 PM.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Well, we should have known it from the Virginia game -- the Poke secondary is way over-rated. The Virginia receivers were open all day but the QB couldn't connect. I'm only listening to the awful Walsh on the radio (probably matches the team, though) so I can't really see what's happening, but it sounds like the BSU QB is getting open receivers. Score now 14-0. And by the Poke's yardage, it sounds like Cockholl is unprepared (so what's new there?)
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

I got to watch the game tonight (w00t!) and I must say that bad penalties and poor offensive planning hurt the Pokes tonight. The Pokes were trying desperation heaves WAY too early in the game. They completely abandon the running attack, and went vertical the rest of the way.. and only one long pass panned out. Terribly play calling to keep the ball out of (arguably) the hands of the two best offensive players, Seldon and Moore. The Cowboy defense was stout tonight, not yielding a whole lot. There were some open receivers, and Boise should have completed a few more passes than they did, but Taylor Tharp was not terribly accurate tonight. I thought the defense was great and came up with some HUGE sacks, but the offense just could not move the football.. they tried too hard to move the ball up field in as little time, and most yards possible. They had no trouble with the short, quick routes, and nickel and diming them to death.. but that was abandon for the long heaves.

All in all, frustrating loss for the Pokes, but not a terrible loss. Boise is still a good football team, probably will not win the WAC, but a definite bowl team.
ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

AND! Seldon's penalty in the first quarter... WTF?? Keep your god damn hands to yourself and you won't get flagged 15 yards. Pretty simple.
ImageImageImageImage
blueandorangefish
Buckaroo

Congrats on a terrific game. Yes, the refereeing was terrible on both sides of the ball. The only consitant thing about the refs was that they were missing most of the calls.

So, my thoughts on the game:

--Wyoming's D is the real deal. I thought it was easily the best D we've faced so far this year. It is one that you win conference championships with. Your guys seemed to just set up shop in BSU's backfield the whole night. They really neutralized BSU's running game.

--Tackling your kick return man seemed to be like trying to catch a greased pig. Nobody could bring him down.

--Your QB is definitely a very, very good player. It was maddening watching our DE's get their hands on him, only to see him spin free. He made some amazing throws into impossibly tight coverage.

--One word...classy. There was a great showing of Wyoming fans and they were all very nice people. One note, though, your fans had the makings to being a very disruptive presence to BSU's offense noise-wise, but surprisingly were fairly quiet throughout the game (I was actually kind of disappointed about this). The team lived up to it's billing as being very blue collar. The cheap shots were for the most part nonexistant (outside of some frustration venting). Whenever I would see players mixing it up at the end of a play, the Wyoming player would usually suddenly pat the BSU player on the helmet and they would part and get ready for the next play.

All in all, this is a series that I wish would be extended out for a few more years. Hopefully BSU will get an invite to the Mountain West soon so this budding rivalry can continue to grow. This game was the most fun to watch game I've sat through at Bronco Stadium in the last couple years.
Pithecus
Buckaroo

Good game on both sides of the field. I felt that UW needed to bring some additional pressure on the pass rush. The BSU QB had way too much time against the 4 man rush. He was able to pick apart the secondary.

That said, I believe the UW defense played well enough to win this game, but was simply on the field way too long. The UW offense needed to move the sticks and give the D an occasional rest. The offense abandoned the running game early on even though we had some success when we did attempt a rush. This led to some very short 3 and out possessions that wore down the UW D, as it would any D, over the course of the game.

Once the UW O got going late, it seemed to energize the D which led to some good sacks. Also, their good kickoff return late in the fourth was timely for them and took big MO away from us. Just too little too late for us.
wyopokesfan23
Ranch Hand

Statesman staff - Idaho Statesman
Edition Date: 09/16/07

In his postgame press conference, Wyoming coach Joe Glenn complained that Boise State was pumped in crowd noise during the Broncos' 24-14 victory at Bronco Stadium.
"It didn't cost us the game, but they were pumping crowd noise into the speakers in the first half. Our coaches could hear it, and they turned it off in the second half," Glenn said.

"That's not right. You don't do that stuff. That's against the law, against the rules. It's trying to gain an unfair advantage. But that didn't cost us the game. The real crowd was good enough, they didn't need to add to it."

The Broncos drew 30,199 fans for Saturday's game.

Brad Larrondo, Boise State's senior assistant athletic director for promotions and marketing, said Wyoming complained at halftime about the horse and stampede sound that Boise State plays before third downs.

Teams are allowed to play the sounds until a team breaks its huddle, Larrondo said. But the Cowboys rarely huddled in the game, often going to the line of scrimmage and getting their play from the sideline.

Boise State stopped using the sound at halftime.

Wyoming had two procedure penalties, one on third down, in the first half and was forced to use a timeout as the play clock was winding down.