Speaking of Shaun Wick...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
jbeiermann
Ranch Hand

Will he come back?
GO POKES!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

jbeiermann wrote:Will he come back?
Yes.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I posted this in the Brian Hill thread...

Wick will have to apply to the NCAA for a medical waiver to be allowed to return for the 2016 season. Players cannot play in more than 30% of the games in order to be eligible. That would mean no more than 3 games. Wick was injured in the 2nd quarter of the 4th game this year. With that in mind, I think it is highly doubtful that he will be granted another year, BUT it can't hurt to at least try. I hope he beats the odds and get another year if that's what he truly wants. Overall I hope he is healthy and doesn't having any lasting effects down the road; either way, thanks for your years with the Pokes Shaun.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I would have to think long and hard about playing again if I had a head trauma like what Wick suffered.

Didn't one of our OLs have a massive concussion and have to sit the year, too? Anyone know what his status is?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:I posted this in the Brian Hill thread...

Wick will have to apply to the NCAA for a medical waiver to be allowed to return for the 2016 season. Players cannot play in more than 30% of the games in order to be eligible. That would mean no more than 3 games. Wick was injured in the 2nd quarter of the 4th game this year. With that in mind, I think it is highly doubtful that he will be granted another year, BUT it can't hurt to at least try. I hope he beats the odds and get another year if that's what he truly wants. Overall I hope he is healthy and doesn't having any lasting effects down the road; either way, thanks for your years with the Pokes Shaun.
A thought popped into my head. If I am the NCAA, a concussion related injury is the last type of injury that I would grant a medical waiver for. With the relative unknowns of concussions that still exist and with the serious future liability potential, to me it is a pretty easy "no" in this situation and especially so because Wick played into the 4th game.

It's a bummer for Wick (if coming back is what he really wants to do), but I would have to think the NCAA will be applying this logic.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

If they go by quarters he's got a shot. 30% would be 14 quarters.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

COS Cowboy wrote:

If they go by quarters he's got a shot. 30% would be 14 quarters.
Unfortunately they don't, they go by games played. That means if you ran down the field on just 1 kickoff or took every snap on both sides of the ball, you both played 1 game. Means that anyone that played in the first 3 games essentially lost their chance for a medical waiver as soon as they were on the field for 1 play in that 4th game. Wick fits that category, but again, you can appeal...sometimes it works, but the odds are definitely against him.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

I think what's best for him is to find a passion in life outside of football. Good luck Shaun! You were a great cowboy.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

I think Shaun can be ok. Sidney Crosby essentially missed a whole season to concussion issues a few years ago..
W-Y, Until I Die!
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I heard in one of Bohl's press conferences that the Wyoming compliance department said Wick completely qualifies for a medical redshirt. Also heard he was cleared to play last week. That is probably why he didn't participate in senior day.
Hampshire
Ranch Hand

If he was cleared last week then he would not qualify for a med redshirt or if he played on more then 3 games , not really much of a way around that. Also the ncaa will have the final say in a redshirt , I would imagine that if he missed that much of the season they wouldn't recommend one even if he did qualify. As much as we would like him back it's really not on the table and shouldn't be after that injury, it's not really a physical injury when it's that bad . They really never go away the symptoms do.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Been liked: 33 times

His family believes that he has met the criteria for the medical redshirt and sounds like they plan on pursuing it.
ImageImageImageImage
Hampshire
Ranch Hand

It's worth a try that way you can't say you didn't try but the rules are pretty clear, if he was released to play at all you cannot be considered, well if you play more then 3 games for that matter too. Like I said if he missed 7 + games that is more of a brain injury worse then a concussion, just saying probably not the best idea to try to play after that , ncaa probably will figure it out one way or the other , it's kind of a surprise that the compliance dept would consider it going to ncaa .
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Hampshire wrote:It's worth a try that way you can't say you didn't try but the rules are pretty clear, if he was released to play at all you cannot be considered, well if you play more then 3 games for that matter too. Like I said if he missed 7 + games that is more of a brain injury worse then a concussion, just saying probably not the best idea to try to play after that , ncaa probably will figure it out one way or the other , it's kind of a surprise that the compliance dept would consider it going to ncaa .
I think there is a difference about being cleared to play and passing a concussion protocol. Obviously after 9 weeks of no practice a player is not in any shape whatsoever to be playing. I did some research and
According to MWC site, the MWC championship game is on every teams schedule and counts as a contest whether a team makes it there or not. If that is indeed true Wick would qualify by playing in less than 30% of the teams scheduled games. Also if he was indeed cleared late in the week he probably was not capable of playing anyways. I'm thankful for his hard work and leadership as a Poke. One of my favorite players to watch when him and Brett Smith were on the field together. Also haven't heard about the other Freshman offensive lineman who had a concussion. Is he eligible for a medical redshirt?
Hampshire
Ranch Hand

Idk I just looked at wyoming mw confence schedule and sis not notice confrence championship game on there schedule if it was it would be only if they qualified and actually played it then it would be considered another game as it is I don't thing that's going to fly .
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Basically the new rule is no more than 4 games or 30% of the season, Whichever is greater. Since he did not play in more than 4 games he would qualify. It's not that confusing. :dead:
Hampshire
Ranch Hand

Idk they must of changed it after Oct 9 2015 . Then it's still 3 games , I haven't seen anything after that.
Hampshire
Ranch Hand

The latest redshirt requirements is 30 percent or under ...that's 3.3 games played ... his stats said he played 4 games it's pretty cut and dry on this one.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Hampshire wrote:The latest redshirt requirements is 30 percent or under ...that's 3.3 games played ... his stats said he played 4 games it's pretty cut and dry on this one.
Well I guess it's cut and dry then. You seem to know more than Wyoming's director of compliance. And for what it's worth all teams with a Conference Championship have a 13 game schedule at the beginning of the year. Whether they play in the game or not it's a scheduled competition. BTW bowl games don't count.
Hampshire
Ranch Hand

Yes .... but there are always loopholes to go around the rules , I have found out compliance just foward things to the ncaa , they try to interpret the rules, I found this out with one of my kids . If it Flys that's great I'm just saying it's kind of outside the rules given to date. Every schedule I found has the same number of games on it so apparently I don't know. Sorry . Every thing that I've read though states "30 percent of games played or 3 games whichever is greater" the key word is greater I've found nothing of games scheduled. I would double check .