4 Pokes receive all-conference honors

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

No first-team players.

Hill, Roullier, Yarbrough, and Wingard all get 2nd team honors.

No honorable mention players.

http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-footbl/sp ... 15aaa.html
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I guess without a winning season/conference title game, Hill had no chance of being 1st team despite having the most rushing yards of any RB.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Kind of stupid that Hill got 2nd team and not first. Maybe it was the lack of TD's on the year, I don't know. I'd take Hill over the SJSU Rb anyday. Also for Eddie I think it was playing on a bad defense that hurt him. Really happy for Wingard though !! As a true freshman, that's incredible . Also the Honorable mention picks is tough to get on a 2 win team.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

What a pointless award, Hill led the conference in a few categories not to mention is the only group of 5 Doak Walker semifinalist, but that's not good enough for first team all conference? The award didn't go to the best player. What a sham.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

This is one of the examples I used when stating why it was unlikely that Hill would receive All American honors. Higgins got those honors for CSU for there best year in the last 20 years. We're at the lowest point we have been in the last 20 years.

Those accolades go to winning teams even if the players were outperformed always have since the BCS and always will as long as money makes the world go around in College Football.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

The stats for Hill and the first-teamers are pretty similar. Hill rushed more yards, but they beat him on receiving yards, which gave them (barely) more overall yards. I believe it came down to two things, TD's 18 and 15 compared to Hill's 6 and simply that they played for teams with more victories. If Hill really ran away with a ton more rushing yards I feel they would have had to put in on the first team, even with so few TD's. I think it was really more of looking for reasons to not put him on the first team. He'll get it next year.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

Tyler Ervin (SJSU) was #2 in the country in all-purpose yards, he had a pretty good year.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Been liked: 33 times

Here's the WyoNation write-up on the Mountain West awards today. I refrained from commentary in this one, but I agree.. Hill should have easily been 1st team, Roullier made a strong case, as did Eddie.
http://www.wyonation.com/2015/12/four-c ... west-team/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImageImageImage
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

It's hard to argue against stats, but Hill got most of his yards the hard way. It's not that hard to be a great running back when first contact is 5 yards down field every time.
Spartanmike15
Buckaroo

WestWYOPoke wrote:Tyler Ervin (SJSU) was #2 in the country in all-purpose yards, he had a pretty good year.
Ervin got screwed by the change at QB too. Caragher was hell bent on playing HIS QB who was a horrible passer and no real threat over a senior who tied the MWC record for consecutive 300 yd passing games set by Carr and Fales last year then led the team to an absolute murder of rival Fresno St and would have led the team to an upset at Auburn if not for a few unlucky turnovers. Once the QB's changed. teams just stacked the box and he couldn't do anything.

Before the change, Ervin had 801 yards in 5 games, after the change Ervin had 668 yards in 7 games all while being only 5-10, 177 lbs. He was also a kick/punt returner and had a lot of receiving yards. He will be able to add to his total in a bowl game as well so might come close to passing Hill for the conference lead.