RECRUITS boomerang story

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Cowboys add recruits

By BOB HAMMOND Boomerang Sports Editor

The University of Wyoming football program continued to find pieces for its future defense when two more high school standouts announced that they had given verbal commitments to the school.

The latest verbals are from Riley Lange, a 6-foot-3, 235-pound defensive end from Ponderosa High School in Parker, Colo., and Billy Vavau, a 6-3, 295-pound defensive lineman from Jordan High School in Sandy, Utah.

Both will sign national letters of intent with the Cowboys on National Signing Day (Feb. 3).

Lange has been a two-year starter at Ponderosa as both a fullback and combination defensive end/linebacker.

Last year as a junior, Lange recorded 136 tackles, including 20 tackles for loss and seven sacks. He was a first-team All-Southern League selection.

So far this season, Lange has rushed for 207 yards in 24 carries (8.6 average) and a touchdown. On the defensive side of the ball, Lange has recorded 42 tackles, including five sacks, and has four hurries and two deflections from his linebacker spot.

Lange has already accepted an invitation to play in the 2010 Max Emfinger All-American Game Classic Bowl on Jan. 9 in Dallas.

“I decided to commit now because I think Wyoming is a great school, first off academically, and then it’s a team that’s on the rise with the new coach,” Lange said. “I love the coaching staff and I just thought it was a great fit.”

Lange, who runs a 4.65 40 and has a 31-inch vertical leap, also drew recruiting interest from Colorado, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Northwestern, Oklahoma State and Utah in addition to Wyoming.

Meanwhile, Vavau began his prep career at Kearns (Utah) High School where he started his freshman and sophomore years. He then transferred to Jordan, where he started last year as a junior and this year as a senior.

Although Vavau has played on both sides of the ball up front, most of the action has been on the offensive side of the ball.

This past summer, he took part in the All-Poly Camp in Bountiful, Utah, where he was selected a camp all-star as an offensive lineman.

Vavau, who was also being recruited by Utah, Utah State and Southern Utah, said he decided to commit to Wyoming because of the opportunity to play defense.

“I love playing defense, and Wyoming was the only school offering me to play D,” Vavau said. “They recruited me as a noseguard.”

Wyoming has now received 10 known verbal commitments for its 2010 recruiting class. Of the 10, four are defensive linemen.

The Cowboys have also received verbals from Sonny Puletasi, a 6-3, 215-pound defensive end from Lawton, Okla., and Tyler Strong, a 6-3, 270-pound defensive tackle from Niwot, Colo.

Bob Hammond’s e-mail address is [email protected]

UW’S 2010 VERBALS

C.J. BENNETT (6-0, 198), QB, Tampa, Fla. (Tampa Alonso HS)

NEHEMIE KANKOLONGO (5-11, 200), RB, Maple Ridge, B.C. (Coquitlam Centennial HS)

RILEY LANGE (6-3, 235), DE, Parker, Colo. (Ponderosa HS)

DREW MARTINEZ (6-1, 165), WR, Green River, Wyo. (Green River HS)

C.J. MORGAN (5-10, 170), WR, Aurora, Colo. (Eaglecrest HS)

SONNY PULETASI (6-3, 215), DE, Lawton, Okla. (Lawton HS)

SAM STRATTON (6-0, 190), QB, Littleton, Colo. (Chatfield HS)

TYLER STRONG (6-3, 270), DT, Niwot, Colo. (Niwot HS)

BILLY VAVAU (6-3, 295), NG, Sandy, Utah (Jordan HS)

DARRENN WHITE (6-0, 190), ATH, Kansas City, Mo. (University Academy)
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
Stuck
Ranch Hand

I love seeing the recruiting power that CDC has brought to the program! IMHO, the future is looking bright :D
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

That list is missing Desmond Taufaoi (sp) a big Dlineman out of Hawaii. He adds to an already good defensive linemen class.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

JimmyDimes wrote:That list is missing Desmond Taufaoi (sp) a big Dlineman out of Hawaii. He adds to an already good defensive linemen class.
Do you know which high school he goes to in Hawaii?
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

JimmyDimes wrote:That list is missing Desmond Taufaoi (sp) a big Dlineman out of Hawaii. He adds to an already good defensive linemen class.
There are all kinds of inaccuracies. Until February, signing day, everything and anything can change. One site lists 9 verbals, another 11, and the Laramie paper lists 10. :lol:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:
Do you know which high school he goes to in Hawaii?
Something like Kaimuki?

You can find it in this link,

http://wyoming.scout.com/a.z?s=367&p=8&c=1&nid=4186589
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Alright, I've been lurking long enough. I think recruiting is going to start looking up in the next few years, but what I'm really hoping is that DC will come up with a few quality receivers. Every time I watch the Chargers, Malcom Floyd gets his bell rung and still hangs on to the ball as if it was glued to his hands. Give our QBs a few large targets like that who also know how to hang on to the ball, and we'll be able to create mismatches even if they aren't all that fast.

It's been pretty obvious in the first few games that our receivers couldn't hang on to the ball if their lives depended on it. I regret going to the CU game... the CU fans around us kept talking about how they have a quarterback who can't hit a barn wall from the inside, while we have receivers who can't hang on to the ball even when it's practically handed to them. It's sad when you get pity from CU fans...

Anyways, here's what I'm really posting about. Does anybody know anything about the following players who have Wyoming listed as one of their potential schools? (and yeah, I know high school-measured 40 times are never accurate)

Ryan Jones - WR 6'3, 188, 4.46 40
http://rivals.yahoo.com/wyoming/footbal ... ones-97194

Jonathan Aiken - WR 6'4, 205, 4.4 40 - JuCo player with about 4 catches per game his freshman year
http://rivals.yahoo.com/wyoming/footbal ... iken-98850

Tehvyn Brantley - WR 5'8, 161, 4.45 40 - Rivals 3 star player. Not sure why Wyoming is on his list, but he seems very solid despite being tiny.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/wyoming/footbal ... tley-93334

Dillon Schrodt - WR 6'4, 180, 4.5 40 - Nebraska kid
http://rivals.yahoo.com/wyoming/footbal ... rodt-96403

Quintin-Robinson - WR 6'3, 190, no 40 time. Another JuCo guy who has Akron and Wyoming, just like Aiken. Almost 10 catches per game his JuCo freshman year.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/wyoming/footbal ... nson-98847

I think we may have a chance on a few of these kids. Hopefully we'll get 2 or 3 of them, and hopefully they can catch and hang on to the ball.

What I really like is that we're competing for 3 3-star Tight Ends too. That can't be a bad thing :)
gopokes1399
Blog Team

And all american? thats a big deal very impressive
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Welcome to WyoNation. The WRs we have are not catching the ball consistently - that is obvious. Orlando Arnold (TE) seems to be our most consistent pass catcher, but I have not looked at the stats. It will be interesting to see the positions DC recruits heaviest this next year. I expect him to recruit at least one P/K and probably two. We will lose Otterson and Arnold from the OL, so he will probably be looking for recruits there too.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
pokerupfront
Ranch Hand

Off season topics, sheesh.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Aiken & Robinsons are MUST gets in my opinion. Mix in anyone with these two, and the WR corps just became 10x better.

I have a helluva lot more trust in DC's recruiting coordinator versus that steaming pile from the Glenn era...Wiz. He was a worthless recruiting coordinator, and a horrible judge of talent, especially when it came to his "own" guys...wide recievers!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
steelbed58
Buckaroo

Tehvyn Brantley - WR 5'8, 161, 4.45 40 - Rivals 3 star player. Not sure why Wyoming is on his list, but he seems very solid despite being tiny.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/wyoming/footbal ... tley-93334

I was at the FBU camp in Florida and the reason Brantley is considering Wyoming is because CJ Bennett was there talking up the program. The 2 hooked up on more than a few passes. Personally heard Barry Every , a top guy from Rivals.com, saying good things about the conference and Wyoming ,especially coach C. Word will get around
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote:I'm really hoping is that DC will come up with a few quality receivers.
You and everyone else.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Did anybody listen to coach Hammerschmidt yesterday? It sounds like they're looking to "add speed on the outside" on offense. Apart from C.J. Morgan (http://rivals.yahoo.com/wyoming/footbal ... rgan-90498), does anybody know if we have made any progress on other fast receivers?

(and yeah, I know recruiting isn't on everybody's mind right now)