Keys to the Game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

No. 1: Someone on offense FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STEP UP AND MAKE A PLAY. More specifically, the wide receivers need to get some separation from the defensive backs, then catch the ball when ACS throws it to them.

No. 2: Limit mistakes on the offensive line. That includes penalties and Ole' style blocking.

No. 3: Punch UNLV in the mouth. They haven't won on the road in conference under Mike Sanford. Don't you think that's in their head a little bit?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

evilpoke wrote:No. 2: Limit mistakes on the offensive line. That includes penalties and Ole' style blocking.
LOL! I have used that term often. That and the "LOOKOUT" block that this years Oline is famous for. :lol:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

I'm going to stick this post in here and delete the other one instead:

I think UNLV is better than most people give them credit for. Oregon State was lucky to get away with a win, and they're miles ahead of CU. Hawaii is also a lot better than people here think. Just because they're in WAC doesn't mean they're pushovers... sure, get pressure on their QB and they fall apart, but that goes for most teams regardless of level of competition.

As for UNLV, Omar Clayton is a GOOD quarterback. He will pick you apart if you give him the chance to. He's sitting at close to 70% completions, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's the kind of numbers he puts up tomorrow as well. UNLV will try and create mismatches with their two large main receivers, Wolfe and Payne (how awesome are those names?). Wolfe is 6'2, 210, and Payne is 6'3, 200.
The positive is that our corners are by no means tiny, so they height difference isn't as big as it could have been. That the Gipsons are also very athletic, should help out immensely.

I would like to see the corners make some big plays, though. In the CU game, there were AT LEAST two shoddy passes where our CBs should have made breaks on the ball and possibly taken them for a pick six, and at the very least picked them off. You are not going to get much gift-wrapped like that against Clayton, but if we manage to get some pressure on him, the secondary better be ready to jump on those balls.

UNLV's defense isn't spectacular, but if we continue to play the way we have lately on offense, they're good enough to shut us down. The offense needs to focus on the easy, short passes, to get 6 and 7 yards on the first down, rather than trying to fling it down the field. We have decent tight ends, so why not utilize them? If our receivers can hold on to the 5 yard passes, that should be a good enough confidence builder that we might eventually be able to go for 10+ yard completions as well. Another positive with the short passing game is that it will keep the offense on the field longer, make UNLV's defense stay on their heels more, and as they have to focus instantly on our receivers, it may open up a few lanes for Alexander, who should be able to take it to the building as soon as he hits the hole.
It also means our o-line doesn't need to hold their blocks forever, which should also help them stay fresh enough to open holes for the run.

I want our offense to play fast, eat up a lot of clock, and keep our defense fresh for once. Imagine if we could actually win the time of possession battle!

Most of all, though. Fans need to remember that Cowboys now play a completely different type of offense, and that our players are still adjusting to it. With 6 true freshmen starting, there will be a few mistakes and growing pains, but if they can do alright this very first year, they should be a force to be reckoned with in the next few years.

And a last sidenote. We have two quarterbacks who can think on their feet and can throw the ball somewhat decently. Sure we're starting ACS, but why not line Benjamin up wide a few times per game, maybe let ACS throw him a lateral, and then Benjamin can do whatever he wants to - run or throw. Every time I see CSU make that play with Morton throwing the ball, I want to do it too. Morton is 2 for 2 passing, both went for touchdowns. Even if we just did a play like that for a ten yard completion, or 5 yard run, I don't see how that could be bad. It would spread the opposing defenses out once they realize he was on the field, and possibly open some gaping holes for Alexander, because they're thinking the threat is out by the sideline.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:I'm going to...
Good post. Good Insight. Gotta know though, what does Asmodeanreborn stand for? :?:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

1. First and foremost, we HAVE to score on offense. Linemen need to give the QB more than 2 seconds, and the WRs MUST catch the balls that are catchable.

2. D line needs to pressure Clayton. He's mobile, so we have to worry about containment, too, but because he's mobile he tends to get happy feet. Get in his face and he loses composure very quickly.

3. Someone, anyone, needs to step up and be the playmaker on offense. We have yet to see anyone do anything worth writing about on that side of the ball, and we need a go-to guy.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

McPeachy wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:I'm going to...
Good post. Good Insight. Gotta know though, what does Asmodeanreborn stand for? :?:
Thanks, glad you think so. I care more about Cowboys Football than my heart would like me to, but I can't help it, haha.

It's a username that's stuck with me forever - it comes from a nerdy book series called Wheel of Time. I think one of the main reasons it stuck is because as far as I know, nobody else around has used it. If you see AsmodeanReborn anywhere else, it's likely me. I don't post on boards as much as I used to, but since I'm an Administrator at the Colorado Avalanche boards, I'm still there a lot - I lost a sig bet, though, so don't be surprised when you see my profile stuck with a CU sig :( .

Anyways, I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up for Cowboys this season, as I know it's inevitable that they struggle. Still, I do expect them to do their best and win at least a couple of more games, and I really don't think a Bowl Game is out of the picture if the offense starts to come together.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Not sure where I saw it first but have loved it ever since.........."The biggest key to winning the game is scoring more points than the opponent."

That pretty much says it.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!